Topics

Viewing hoods for 7000 series

@0culus

Hi all,

I have a 7904A and a 7104 that are my workhorse oscilloscopes, and I also have to deal with harsh overhead lighting so I can see my work. I managed to find a Tektronix collapsible viewing hood, part #016-0260-00 that appears to be a unicorn. It's really more of a shade that keeps the room lights off the o-scope screen. I've never seen another one, and not for lack of looking. I'd like to find another one, or something similar that's compatible with the 7000 series bezels so I don't have to move it between scopes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sean

Albert Otten

Sean,
If it doesn't have to be collapsible it should be easy to construct something yourself I think. Before I had one I simply used a few pieces of cardboard with inward bent edges and taped together. But I needed this mainly for taking photographs.
Albert

Mlynch001

Sean,

I have successfully printed glare shields for various models of TEK Scopes that I own and use, including 465/475 + 24XX series as well as Type 576 curve tracers. I design them and use my 3D Printers to produce them to fit as needed. Although I have not done one for the 5000 and 7000 series, it would be a simple matter to produce one of them. I have several 5000 series scopes and a couple of 76xx series that I could also probably use as a pattern for those models that you mentioned. I can send you a picture of what I make. They are not injection molded and not folding, but they do a good job and look quite presentable. If you want more details, contact me off list.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

EJP

There is a 3D-printable one at thingiverse.com. It's for a difference Tek scope but should be trivial to adjust for 7000 series. I'll be doing one myself for my 7704A this week.

EJP

Mlynch001

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 07:56 PM, EJP wrote:

There is a 3D-printable one at thingiverse.com. It's for a difference Tek
scope but should be trivial to adjust for 7000 series. I'll be doing one
myself for my 7704A this week.

EJP
Yes, If you have access to a 3D printer and can download the STL file from an online source, that would be a great way to do it. I find a lot of these type items on THINGIVERSE.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

EJP

Err, I'll be doing it for my SC504 today. The 7704 size is just too wide for my printer. I may try to work out how to print it in two parts with a joiner.

EJP

Mlynch001

I use TINKERCAD, which is online, free and easy to use; in order to design items that can then be printed directly on a 3D printer. If you have the dimensions for the screen frame it is relatively simple to generate an STL using TINKERCAD that will allow you to print the model in one piece.
--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Mlynch001

My printers will print up to 225x225 x240 items. SC 504 looks like it has a similar screen frame to the 485, but I don’t have a SC 504 to measure.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Harvey White

You may want to consider openSCAD, a very different tool that avoids on-line connections.  It's a programming/modeling tool, so you'll need to be able to program.  It's free.

Harvey

On 3/9/2020 11:55 AM, Mlynch001 wrote:
I use TINKERCAD, which is online, free and easy to use; in order to design items that can then be printed directly on a 3D printer. If you have the dimensions for the screen frame it is relatively simple to generate an STL using TINKERCAD that will allow you to print the model in one piece.

EJP

The outside dimensions of the SC504 screen frame are 3.25"W X 2.75"H.

It doesn't matter what software you use if your print bed isn't big enough.

EJP

Jean-Paul

Hello all,
Seems easier to find the exact hood on epay, just needs patience.
I have acquired several of the 2465, 2467 and 7000 hoods years ago. then, I discovered that the old Polaroid Tek cameras can be Disassembled and the plastic housing used as a hood or to position a compact camera or mobile phone. Just a thought

Jean-Paul

Steve Wiseman

It doesn't matter what software you use if your print bed isn't big
enough.

Not 100% true - some slicers let you split the model and add holes and pegs
to the individual parts to let you slot them together, or align them
accurately while the glue sets.
A too-small printer is only an irritation, not a showstopper.

Steve

Mlynch001

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 09:46 AM, Steve Wiseman wrote:

It doesn't matter what software you use if your print bed isn't big
enough.

Not 100% true - some slicers let you split the model and add holes and pegs
to the individual parts to let you slot them together, or align them
accurately while the glue sets.
A too-small printer is only an irritation, not a showstopper.

Steve
Exactly. I use the CURA slicer and it offers this option. If you have a 3D printer, even a smaller one, there are ways to overcome the "too small" Print bed. It all depends on how cheap and how redily you can find one on E-Pay. Since I can print these quickly and for pennies, it does not make sense for me to spend what most sellers are asking for these original TEKTRONIX Parts, when and if they come up for sale.

In my case, I've got the 3D printers, so why not use them? I certainly understand that everyone may not be in that position.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

@0culus

Unfortunately I do not have easy access to a 3D printer. I might investigate making something out of card stock. And keep watching, looking for an OEM one to pop up. :o)

Sean

John Ferguson

How about sharing the dimensions?

On 3/10/20 6:59 PM, sdturne@q.com wrote:
Unfortunately I do not have easy access to a 3D printer. I might investigate making something out of card stock. And keep watching, looking for an OEM one to pop up. :o)

Sean

Mlynch001

Dimensions of the bezel are 140.5mm x 128.5mm. I'm calling the radius on the corner about .75mm.

The 7104 and 7904 have the same CRT Bezel as the 7633. I have a 7633, so I can use it as a pattern and and I will design one. I'll post pictures of the finished product once completed. I'll share the STL and other files on THINGIVERSE.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

John Ferguson

How many of these are needed? 5 or 6. I have a MakerGear M2 and could make a few. They'd be black PETG which is all I print with that machine.  Cost would be minimal as long as it doesn't get to be very many.  This is a busy machine already.

john ferguson

st petersburg, FL

On 3/10/20 8:49 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
Dimensions of the bezel are 140.5mm x 128.5mm. I'm calling the radius on the corner about .75mm.

The 7104 and 7904 have the same CRT Bezel as the 7633. I have a 7633, so I can use it as a pattern and and I will design one. I'll post pictures of the finished product once completed. I'll share the STL and other files on THINGIVERSE.

Mlynch001

I am printing a sample as I type. Should be done this afternoon late. I am printing in TPU, so it will be slightly flexible. I already had the printer set up for TPU, so it should be a good test for this item. I normally use PETG and have printed many of these for other scopes in that material.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

John Ferguson

Hi Michael,

I don't have a 7000 series but do have a printer and could print a few for members who need one.  Mine would be black PETG. But not having one of these scopes would mean I could use an stl file it that's easy to share.

I see this as sort of a give-back opportunity in gratitude for the help I've received here over the years.

John ferguson

On 3/11/20 2:38 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:
I am printing a sample as I type. Should be done this afternoon late. I am printing in TPU, so it will be slightly flexible. I already had the printer set up for TPU, so it should be a good test for this item. I normally use PETG and have printed many of these for other scopes in that material.

Mlynch001

John,

That is where I was going with this as well. I have STL files for several scopes that I have printed for in the past. I have never printed the 7xxx file before, so I want to make sure it works before I hand it out. I also want to see how the TPU works out. I printed mostly in PETG in the past. These STL files are free for anyone as long as there is no commercial use of the file. I feel the same way, I have received so much from members of this community.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR