USPS shipments comments

Brad Thompson

Hello--

I recently sold two Tektronix plug-ins to someone in NJ via the USPS.
I packaged each plug-in in its own sub-carton and packed them in a
well-padded single larger carton. The package weighed a little over 18 pounds.
Here are a couple of things I learned:

--Parcel Post no longer exists for general mail-- this package shipped via Priority mail
for $30.00. There were no less-expensive modes.

--The outer double-walled carton once held expensive brandy. I partially obliterated
 its original markings and bar codes. "Not good enough", said our postmaster,
 "Everything that looks even remotely like an address will mess up delivery." He
  proceeded to completely overmark everything.

--On a different topic, I learned that small component-class envelopes
get screened for flexibility and thickness. The envelope and contents may weigh
only a couple of ounces,  ($1.30 postage maybe), but if it's too thick (over 1/4 inch)
the postage escalates to $4.00 or more.

Why not use UPS or FedEx? I'm located two miles from a US post office
and 10-14 miles from UPS or FedEx pickup points. I figure 20-28 miles round trip.
That's most of a gallon of gas ($3.40 st the moment).

I've had good luck with USPS shipments-- don't skimp
on the packaging.

Hope this helps, and 73--

Brad  AA1IP

Jean-Paul

We used UPS for decades now very poor service and wastes time.

DHL is hopeless as the owner German post has outsourced to a different entities per country so custom clearance and tracking takes weeks.

Only use Fed Ex now both us and international

All shipping costs have gone up 20-70 % i last year.

The postman was 100% on extra adresse or labels causing misdirection we have had that.

The $30 for two plug-ins was a great bargain.

Finally we have better results with new double wall boxes than recycled or two box package

Jon

Dave Seiter

The only problem I've ever had with FedEx is that they usually check to see if the box is actually rated for shipping.  A few years back they rejected a box I had used and I had to buy one of theirs.  My box was heavy enough and the item wasn't heavy, but they didn't care.  USPS doesn't care about boxes, unless they once held items that would be hazardous, like motor oil (ask me how I know that!).   I shipped a 7488 to Germany about 2009, and the buyer wanted to use DHL because he had a company account & discount.  It was still around $300, but made it there in one piece.  (one of the harmonica connectors did vibrate off, so it's good practice to check connections after receiving anything similar, especially if it's flown a long way.)
-Dave

On Monday, October 18, 2021, 11:57:50 PM PDT, Jean-Paul <jonpaul@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

We used UPS for decades now very poor service and wastes time.

DHL is hopeless as the owner German post has outsourced to a different entities per country so custom clearance and tracking takes weeks.

Only use Fed Ex now both us and international

All shipping costs have gone up 20-70 % i  last year.

The postman was 100% on extra adresse or labels causing misdirection we have had that.

The $30 for two plug-ins was a great bargain.

Finally we have better results with new double wall boxes than recycled or two box package

Jon

John Parkins G8KVP

Hello All,

Just a word of warning......... from the UK.

I run the parts department of an agricultural dealer, as you can imagine some of the parts that are delivered to us are large, heavy and you would think unbreakable. Don't you believe it, in the past year we have had more damaged, broken, delayed parts than ever before and not to mention the parts that just don't turn up at all. On top of that because of our wonderful, self inflicted, Brexit we have had no end of problems with customs. At the moment we are trying to send an engine (£25,000 worth) back to Germany, so far it's made 5 trips and been returned each time. We're not told why it comes back...........

Costs have gone through the roof, a regular customer had a near monthly order. It used to cost £30 to get it there, it now costs £180! 6 times as much.

So the moral is, pack extremely well, then do it better. Photograph everything so you have a record of not only what you've sent but how you've packed it. Do the paperwork and then get someone else to check the paperwork. Give it to the courier and wave goodbye.........

Some couriers are better than others, but they have all let us down at some point.

--
Best regards,
John mailto:john@g8kvp.com

Ken Eckert

I had a very light meter, Huntron Tracker, that I shipped via Canada Post/USPS. The meter arrived with the back of case smashed and a damaged PCB. The box was totally stove in on one side. After much, much hassle (and not helped by an uncooperative recipient) Canada Post coughed up a partial refund on the shipment. And that was with complete documentation.

They didn't do more since "I didn't pack for machine handling of the package" Bloody hell, the damage was from being crushed. I have packed stuff for years, that damage was not from machine handling.

In talking with our UPS driver, he worked for a while in the warehouse, he watched package handlers deliberately damage shipments by dropping, throwing or hitting packages. The supervisors do nothing.

Great..............

Paul Amaranth

It's all over.

I had 3 pallets of solar cells delivered and there was a 20% breakage rate
(glass smashed, frames bent). I think they dropped one pallet off a loading
dock. About the only thing they didn't do was run a forklift straight
through the box.

Paul

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 08:26:09AM -0700, Ken Eckert wrote:
I had a very light meter, Huntron Tracker, that I shipped via Canada Post/USPS. The meter arrived with the back of case smashed and a damaged PCB. The box was totally stove in on one side. After much, much hassle (and not helped by an uncooperative recipient) Canada Post coughed up a partial refund on the shipment. And that was with complete documentation.

They didn't do more since "I didn't pack for machine handling of the package" Bloody hell, the damage was from being crushed. I have packed stuff for years, that damage was not from machine handling.

In talking with our UPS driver, he worked for a while in the warehouse, he watched package handlers deliberately damage shipments by dropping, throwing or hitting packages. The supervisors do nothing.

Great..............

Ken Eckert

My wife worked for a while in a BC Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a pallet just for a giggle............

Brad Thompson

Ken Eckert wrote on 10/20/2021 11:51 AM:

My wife worked for a while in a BC Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a pallet just for a giggle............

Hello--
I worked for an industrial-robot startup-- some systems were sold to auto manufacturers
and occasional accidents [sic] would take place in which a forklift tine went through
a CRT display screen.

They're out there, folks....

73--

Brad  AA1IP

Jim Ford

Wasn't there a Dilbert strip like that where the company provided beer for the employees to loosen things up?  They ended up jousting with the forklifts in the warehouse!   Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Ken Eckert <eckertkp@gmail.com> Date: 10/20/21 8:51 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] USPS shipments comments My wife worked for a while in a BC Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a pallet just for a giggle............

stevenhorii

I once picked up a Project Mercury horizon scanner from a surplus dealer in
Los Angeles. I was headed home and already had a lot of stuff that I was
taking back as baggage, so I decided to ship it. I put my address on the
instrument, packed it using the star-shaped cutout foam that the US
Military uses for shipping aircraft instruments, and put an address label
on that box. Then the box went into a larger box that allowed for
two-inches (about 5 cm) of foam around all sides. It was a new box, no old
labels or printing on it. Address label on it, covered the label with clear
tape, and took it to the local UPS. I had used them before and they had a
sign that said “Pack for a four-foot drop onto concrete”. My package would
meet that spec.

When they weighed it, they told me “There will be a surcharge for this
package. It is too large for the weight”. I pointed to their sign and said
that I packed it to meet that suggestion. They would not relent so it was
an extra $10 (this was back in the ‘90s). I can understand why they do this
- packages like this take up more space in their trucks or air freight
containers so it winds up being less economical for them. Still to get
charged extra to meet their suggested packing was irritating.

If you don’t know already, FedEx Ground in the US is different from FedEx
Express. The Ground service uses independent contractors, though the US
Labor folks decided that they are employees so FedEx had to adjust their
policies for that. Still, it means for far more variability among the
drivers. I have had packages that arrived very clean and with little
evidence that they had been shipped at all. Others arrived like they had
been dropped onto concrete - from far more than four feet - and then
drop-kicked into and out of the truck. The reason for putting address
labels on everything is that a friend of mine shipped a fairly large camera
and the person who bought it got an empty box with one side torn open. UPS
denied the claim since it was “inadequately packed”. Then they said there
was no way they could get it to the destination even if they could find it
because there was no label on the camera. It would eventually wind up for
sale in an “unclaimed freight” auction. My friend had to refund the cost to
the buyer so he lost out twice - what he paid for the camera and then
refunding the purchase price to the buyer. Well, and the shipping cost as
well. Oh, and he had the camera packed by a company that packs and ships
stuff, he did not do it himself. He also lost out on the packing cost. The
packer/shipper said he always packs to UPS standards so he would not refund
the packing cost.

Back to the USPS thread. I have a jeweler in Chicago that does custom work.
I have her design something when I need a gift for my wife. We talked about
shipping. She almost exclusively uses USPS. Why? It is a theft deterrent.
If a package is stolen from UPS or FedEx, depending on the value, it’s a
crime but subject to civil law. If a package is stolen from the USPS, it is
a Federal crime (well, depending to some extent on the value - but we’re
talking jewelry here) so a thief might think twice before stealing a USPS
package. She said that most of her jeweler friends do the same thing. They
will all use FedEx Express if requested and they insure the packages and
require a signature on delivery. But this is also for jewelry - generally
small and light, not a 50-pound Tek scope.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 02:32 John Parkins G8KVP <john@g8kvp.com> wrote:

[...]

Merchison Burke

No only did your friend, with the camera, get punched in the face but he got punched in the stomach and kicked in the groin as well. Not that I approve, but I can see why some people turn to the gun to settle their grievances.

On 2021-10-20 10:39 a.m., stevenhorii wrote:
[...]

https://www.avg.com

maurit

I am Italian an electronic hobbyist.
In 20 years, with eBay sales, I have shipped more than 2500 packages around the world.
From what I have read on this topic I have understood that "the whole world is a country".
I sympathize with you but unfortunately we are helpless victims.
I use Poste Italiane to send, to receive from the USA I ask for USPS.
I rarely use private couriers, only with eBay with their "shipping manager" and if it's convenient.
In any case: Bomb-proof packaging !!!

Roy Thistle

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:57 PM, Jean-Paul wrote:

Only use Fed Ex
Here in the colonies, we sometimes use Dead Ex... did I spell that wrong? (Highly talented in the arts of package contents destruction, they can fatally break stuff in any package just by accepting it for shipment.)
The only individuals I know that are faster than Ursain Bolt, at least on the 50 meter dash, are courier drivers that drop-deliver packages to residential. (And yes! They really do drop the package, when they deliver it.)

--
Roy Thistle

Roy Thistle

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:57 PM, Jean-Paul wrote:

The postman was 100% on extra adresse or labels causing misdirection we have
had that.
I can see, sort of, if there's an old label with a bar code, or a bar code printed on the box. I remove those, or black them out, with a marker. I'm not so sure why it should matter... particularly with printing or writing on the box... since the "post office" uses a particular bar code, which ought to be fairly unique. The sorting machines are supposed to scan for the U.S.P.S. label on the box. If the "postman" sends your plugins back to Kimberly-Clark because you posted them in a Huggies box, with a U.S.P.S. label on it... well... it's just another day at the post office: right?

--
Roy Thistle

Dave Seiter

I reuse boxes all the time, and have a huge selection, because even though most of what I ship goes in the flat rate boxes, some items don't.  I always either strip off old labels or black them out, and have never had a mis-delivery (except when I shipped the wrong slot car to Japan; that was an expensive mistake, but at least both buyers understood!).  USPS does use FedEx as a currier (or maybe the other way around), so you can't say "I don't need to black it out because I'm not shipping the old box with the same currier.  For really pricey stuff (like a set of jeweler's collets I sold a year ago), I always put the "to and from" info on the inside as well, usually tape to the item.
-Dave

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 04:56:21 PM PDT, Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:57 PM, Jean-Paul wrote:

The postman was 100% on extra adresse or labels causing misdirection we have
had that.
I can see, sort of, if there's an old label with a bar code, or a bar code printed on the box. I remove those, or black them out, with a marker. I'm not so sure why it should matter... particularly with printing or writing on the box... since the "post office" uses a particular bar code, which ought to be fairly unique. The sorting machines are supposed to scan for the U.S.P.S. label on the box. If the "postman" sends your plugins back to Kimberly-Clark because you posted them in a Huggies box, with a U.S.P.S. label on it... well... it's just another day at the post office: right?

--
Roy Thistle

Michael A. Terrell

My last UPS delivery arrived as an empty, torn box with tire tracks on it.
The Ebay seller won't even reply to me, so I'm going to ask for a refund
from Ebay or Paypal.
A UPS delivery before that was from the VA. It was in one of their plastic
bags, but the corner of the box and the bag were torn, so my Hydrophilic
foam dressings were ruined and full of dirty water.
A delivery from Sam's Club was missing some cans, and that box was ripped
open as well.
They have misdelivered several items that were never located, as well. I'm
sick of poor service!

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:57 AM Jean-Paul <jonpaul@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

We used UPS for decades now very poor service and wastes time.

DHL is hopeless as the owner German post has outsourced to a different
entities per country so custom clearance and tracking takes weeks.

Only use Fed Ex now both us and international

All shipping costs have gone up 20-70 % i last year.

The postman was 100% on extra adresse or labels causing misdirection we
have had that.

The $30 for two plug-ins was a great bargain.

Finally we have better results with new double wall boxes than recycled or
two box package

Jon

Michael A. Terrell

That sounds like a Drew Carey show episode where Oswald smashed the scanner
in shipping while playing on a forklift.

Date: 10/20/21 8:51 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re:
[TekScopes] USPS shipments comments My wife worked for a while in a BC
Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a pallet
just for a giggle............

stevenhorii

I’ve been to quite a few warehouses to pick up stuff I had delivered by
freight. It’s a lot cheaper to pick it up compared with home delivery since
they need to dispatch a truck with a lift gate for most home deliveries
(unless you have a truck dock!) I have had to uncrate stuff in the customer
parking area when the crate was too large for my SUV.

I know why they generally do not allow customers to walk around the
warehouse. It’s dangerous. The forklift drivers zoom around and are not
expecting inexperienced folks to be on the floor. I have been allowed on
the floor when they were having trouble finding the crate I was expecting.
They did find it with my help - it turned out that it got moved to a
staging area for a later pickup day than I had told them.

I got talking with one of the foremen about the hazards of the fork lifts.
He told me that they are usually very good and that accidents with
shipments are few (but he would say that). He did tell me about a couple of
incidents with the driver running the forks through a crate. One of them
was a large screen flat-panel TV (in those days it meant a large insurance
payout). Things falling off the forks is another problem, but the drivers
usually know when they start to lift a pallet or crate if it is not far
enough back on the forks. I worried a little when they used a lift to get
my crate into my SUV. I could imagine the forks going through the rear
bumper or something. But the guy got it in and then raised the forks so the
ends of them were at the wood frame around the rear of the crate. He then
very slowly pushed it all the way into the back of the SUV managing to
avoid pushing into the backs of the front seats (I had folded the rear
seats down). These guys can be careful when they need to be.

Date: 10/20/21 8:51 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject:
Re:
[TekScopes] USPS shipments comments My wife worked for a while in a BC
Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a pallet
just for a giggle............

Michael A. Terrell

I have driven forklifts and worked in a workbasket from one. That time, the
idiot driver who was assigned to the job kept disappearing. It ran out of
propane while I was working near the roof, running cables. He replaced the
tank, and opened the valve. It was leaking badly. I yelled to close the
valve. He just shrugged and said, "It'll stop", and walked off. My yelling
got the attention of the plant manager. They stopped the leaking propane,
and went to find him. The jackass could have destroyed the building and
killed over 100 production workers with a single spark. It took hours to
get the odor out of the building. They could only open all the doors to let
out the gas, because the contactors on the motors would have set off an
explosion if the machines were shut down.

Date: 10/20/21 8:51 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject:
Re:
[TekScopes] USPS shipments comments My wife worked for a while in a BC
Liquour control board warehouse, guys would drive the forks into a
pallet
just for a giggle............

Dave Seiter

My brother-in-law worked for a law firm that specialized in maritime law.  He tells a story that happened at the port of Oakland- someone was importing two old MIGs, and they had survived the trip thus far without a scratch.  A team was supposed to move the planes (I would assume the fuselages at this point) onto flatbed(s) with forklifts.  They dropped the first one almost right away, thought they had figured out what they had done wrong (I guess, or didn't care), and then proceeded to drop the second one.  The customer was NOT happy, to say the least!
-Dave

Date: 10/20/21  8:51 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject:
Re: