Topics

Using U-ship for shipping scopes?

Jamie Ostrowski
 

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using uship.com for shipping scopes or other electronics. If you're unfamiliar with them, they are like an Uber, but for shipping, including long distances.

I heard about it watching a shango66's Youtube channel. In one episode someone had purchased an old tube television from him and had uship pick it up.

The guy came up in a minivan and put the TV inside, put a heavy blanket around it and treated it decently, and off it went. He mentioned he was taking the TV quite a distance - I think it was from California to Ohio if I recall.

I haven't tried using them yet, but I am curious if anyone else has. It seems like it might be a viable alternative to the other shipping giants and the equipment may be treated better, being packed in a van by one person rather than constantly tossed around.

Greg Muir
 

Simply Google “U-Ship reviews” and look at what comes up. A quick look that I took appears that it may be a broker who contracts out the jobs for anything from smaller items to cars & boats. That is, unless there are other U-Ship concerns operating with the same name. I did notice that there are several complaints about the packages taking weeks for delivery.

Speaking of slow delivery, I recently experienced a few instances where items I purchased were sent by another off-brand carrier that took a couple of weeks. Tracking each package (aside from when the information was mostly not available) showed them being shipped from the sender on the east coast to the Midwest the further south in the Midwest before apparently being staged at some warehouse for a week. They then passed once through my state on their way to Las Vegas then back through Denver and into my state again. That took another week and a half for delivery. From what I can tell the carrier was a cheap rate package aggregator who had certain locations where they collected packages until they had a full load then moving them on to their next staging location. Ultimately they were handed over to Fed-X for delivery when they got closer to my location. Of course this meant the packages being transported for more distance than necessary and obviously more vibration forces on the contents.

Like any other shipping carrier even occasionally including the “big boys” you take your chances unless you do the packing if the instrument yourself making sure that it is adequately padded and protected. Personally I don’t even trust the local UPS Store after watching them pack heavy items in squishy packaging that makes the container like a pillow and subject to easier tearing and other damage. Every heavy item that I pack is double boxed with closed cell foam cushions between the containers on top of the internal box cushioning for the enclosed item.

Greg

Ronald Carlson
 

Anyone have some links to guidelines or reviews for U-Ship?
Could be a good alternative for test gear, an HP 8642B might be an oldie-but-goodie example for U-Ship. In my garage there's a stack of gear that's bent, fractured, ruptured by commerical carriers - scopes, spectrum analyzers, sig gens...

Ron

 

U-Ship is not a "shipping giant" nor is it a shipping midget. It is a
brokering service for a huge number of individual shipping contractors. It
works similar to eBay in that you post a listing of what you want shipped
and individual shippers bid for the job. The bidders can range from
commercial carriers to a guy with a pickup truck looking to earn a few
extra dollars. I did use them once to deliver a couple of containerized
large Diesel engines and was satisfied with my shipper but your mileage may
vary. IIRC there was some feedback/rating system to rate your shipper so
you have some measure of your bidders past performance. Also IIRC you do
not have to select the lowest bidder, you can select from any one of the
bidders.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 12:10 AM Ronald Carlson <
ronald.carlson.54@...> wrote:

Anyone have some links to guidelines or reviews for U-Ship?
Could be a good alternative for test gear, an HP 8642B might be an
oldie-but-goodie example for U-Ship. In my garage there's a stack of gear
that's bent, fractured, ruptured by commerical carriers - scopes, spectrum
analyzers, sig gens...

Ron



Greg Muir
 

In addition to my previous posting I did a little more sleuthing via Google and found several complaints by customers who had shipped an item or items after paying U-Ship and never had the items picked up or then discovered that U-Ship had terminated their contract with the shipping subcontractors who then either took off with the goods, couldn’t be found (frequently because U-Ship would not release the name of their fired subcontractor to the customer for follow-up) or forced the customer to file a theft report with law enforcement agencies.

Other customers complained of U-Ship billing for “extra” expenses after the agreement had been made and money paid.

I would be rather cautious with this company.

Greg Muir
 

Lee,

With respect to eBay shipments being bid on by carriers I suspect that you are probably referring to heavy or bulky items for shipment where the seller states “freight” in the shipping description.

Up until recently (more about this later) I have never had any problem with eBay purchases being shipped by the normal commercial carriers – USPS, Fed-X, UPS, DHL, etc. for items up to or somewhat over 100 lbs. The shipping carrier is usually stated in the shipment details.

In regards to shipments from China, during this past year eBay entered into a contract with an organization who appears to be a package consolidator and collects a large amount of packages destined for the US before transporting them (described in my first posting on this subject). They then dump them in a large warehouse back east where they languish for around a week as they re-apply shipping labels to each individual package. Then the packages are routed to other consolidation centers in the US before reaching their destination which takes weeks. The prior method was a direct individual package shipping method on a 1-by-1 package basis by the seller delivering the package to the local post office which eventually ended up with USPS delivery with a total ship time of a little over a week.

In all, every one of the over one thousand items I have purchased on eBay were always sent by a carrier specified by the seller.

Greg

Jean-Paul
 

Jamie: We NEVER buy/sell out of EU/USA mainland. Scopes are the most easily damaged, CRT, LCD delicate front panel switches etc.

Uship, Relais Mondial etc are all notorious.

We use ONLY Fed Ex or UPS or DHL, scopes need super packaging double -triple wall boxes etc.

Count on a cost shipping a scope or large instrument $200-1000 depending on weight, box size, distance, etc.

Easier to just not bid and wait for another.

Good luck,

Jon

Jamie Ostrowski
 

I was looking at shipping up 3 500 series scopes from Texas to here in
Minnesota for a buddy of mine and someone sent me a bid of $250 from u-ship
to transport all three of them in a van wrapped in moving blankets within
the next 5 days. Sounds reasonable, but it's up to my buddy if he wants to
go through with it.

One advantage I see to this platform is that each shipper has a ratings
system so they have a vested interest in protecting the equipment
carefully, unlike other shipment companies where any one item is handled by
who knows how many people in the chain behind a giant wall of obscurity.

The model seems really sound. I can see how someone could load up a small
van with enough packages to make a decent amount for the job. I think it
will be interesting to see how things play out for them as a company and
whether or not it becomes more popular or not.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 1:25 PM Jean-Paul <jonpaul@...> wrote:

Jamie: We NEVER buy/sell out of EU/USA mainland. Scopes are the most
easily damaged, CRT, LCD delicate front panel switches etc.

Uship, Relais Mondial etc are all notorious.

We use ONLY Fed Ex or UPS or DHL, scopes need super packaging double
-triple wall boxes etc.

Count on a cost shipping a scope or large instrument $200-1000
depending on weight, box size, distance, etc.

Easier to just not bid and wait for another.

Good luck,

Jon



Richard R. Pope
 

Hello all,
This is why I offer a very special service. I will pick up any legal item anywhere in the lower 48 and deliver it to anywhere else in the lower 48 for $1/per mile coming and going. No additional boxing is needed for I will carry in my private automobile and it will always be in a climate controlled environment. Not too hot and not too cold. Yes, it is expensive but you will receive it in the same the condition that I receive it when I pick it up. Something to think about!
GOD Bless and Thanks,
Richard R. Pope
1230 19th Street #5
Reedsburg, WI 53959
608-768-7448
mechanic_2@...

On 1/18/2020 7:05 PM, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:
I was looking at shipping up 3 500 series scopes from Texas to here in
Minnesota for a buddy of mine and someone sent me a bid of $250 from u-ship
to transport all three of them in a van wrapped in moving blankets within
the next 5 days. Sounds reasonable, but it's up to my buddy if he wants to
go through with it.

One advantage I see to this platform is that each shipper has a ratings
system so they have a vested interest in protecting the equipment
carefully, unlike other shipment companies where any one item is handled by
who knows how many people in the chain behind a giant wall of obscurity.

The model seems really sound. I can see how someone could load up a small
van with enough packages to make a decent amount for the job. I think it
will be interesting to see how things play out for them as a company and
whether or not it becomes more popular or not.



On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 1:25 PM Jean-Paul <jonpaul@...> wrote:

Jamie: We NEVER buy/sell out of EU/USA mainland. Scopes are the most
easily damaged, CRT, LCD delicate front panel switches etc.

Uship, Relais Mondial etc are all notorious.

We use ONLY Fed Ex or UPS or DHL, scopes need super packaging double
-triple wall boxes etc.

Count on a cost shipping a scope or large instrument $200-1000
depending on weight, box size, distance, etc.

Easier to just not bid and wait for another.

Good luck,

Jon



Greg Gore
 

I've used U-Ship and can say it's probably your best option for shipping something large which needs white glove service. You sign up to become a member and post a picture and brief details about your shipment with pick-up date and location and destination and you will usually get multiple quotes and offers from among the many truckers and independent shippers who are also U-Ship members. You can review the member's feedback and take a look at their operation through the pictures and description they have posted about themselves. In addition you will be in contact with your driver once you accept his quote so you can discuss how the item will be secured and protected. After delivery you will be invited to leave feedback on how it all went for you.

Greg,
WA1KBQ

On Jan 17, 2020 10:24 PM, Jamie Ostrowski <jamie.ostrowski@...> wrote:






I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using uship.com for
shipping scopes or other electronics. If you're unfamiliar with them, they
are like an Uber, but for shipping, including long distances.

I heard about it watching a shango66's Youtube channel. In one episode
someone had purchased an old tube television from him and had uship pick
it up.

The guy came up in a minivan and put the TV inside, put a heavy blanket
around it and treated it decently, and off it went. He mentioned he was
taking the TV quite a distance - I think it was from California to Ohio if
I recall.

I haven't tried using them yet, but I am curious if anyone else has. It
seems like it might be a viable alternative to the other shipping giants
and the equipment may be treated better, being packed in a van by one
person rather than constantly tossed around.