Using a 7CT1N

n4buq

I purchased a 7514 which came with, among other plugins, a 7CT1N. After cleaning some of the dirty switches (still need to clean the leaf switches), I'm able to get a set of traces for a 2N3904 and/or 2N3906; however, I'm unclear on exactly how this is to be used in a vertical slot and an associated time-base.

If I understand correctly, when using it in a vertical slot, it's necessary to use a time-base that has an amplifier function, ensure the time-base is actually in amplifier mode, and adjust the amplifier gain to get the desired traces. Is that correct?

I ask because I don't exactly find that in the manual. It lists some of the time-bases that are suitable for this but I don't see where it goes into detail on exactly how to configure the time-base. I presume using the time-base in amplifier mode is correct because I get a set of traces that are somewhat comparable to the ones I get when using the tracer in a vertical slot and plugging the cable into an amplifier's input.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Harvey White

Interleaved:

On 5/16/2022 11:30 AM, n4buq wrote:
I purchased a 7514 which came with, among other plugins, a 7CT1N. After cleaning some of the dirty switches (still need to clean the leaf switches), I'm able to get a set of traces for a 2N3904 and/or 2N3906; however, I'm unclear on exactly how this is to be used in a vertical slot and an associated time-base.
7CT1N's are quite nice.

If I understand correctly, when using it in a vertical slot, it's necessary to use a time-base that has an amplifier function, ensure the time-base is actually in amplifier mode, and adjust the amplifier gain to get the desired traces. Is that correct?
Yes, correct.  You could also put a vertical plugin in a horizontal slot and use it.

If in a horizontal slot, you use a vertical plugin.  You do need to change the setting to reflect which kind of slot the plugin is in.

I ask because I don't exactly find that in the manual. It lists some of the time-bases that are suitable for this but I don't see where it goes into detail on exactly how to configure the time-base. I presume using the time-base in amplifier mode is correct because I get a set of traces that are somewhat comparable to the ones I get when using the tracer in a vertical slot and plugging the cable into an amplifier's input.
All you're doing is using the plugin as a feedthrough to the horizontal channels.  A vertical plugin (however simple, if it has the right attenuation) will work.

Harvey

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

NigelP

I use a 7B50 for this; it has a BNC external input socket exactly suitable for this mode and interfaces with the waggley connector coming out of the front of the 7CT1N.

Regards

Nigel

n4buq

Okay, that makes sense. Essentially, it's an X-Y type of operation.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

[...]

Yes, I was just testing it with a 7B50 and that works. I was foolishly trying this with a time-base without a source input and using the cable inserted into the trigger input. That will produce a set of traces but they're nothing like what they're supposed to be. It then occurred to me why I was getting such odd results...

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

I use a 7B50 for this; it has a BNC external input socket exactly suitable for
this mode and interfaces with the waggley connector coming out of the front of
the 7CT1N.

Regards

Nigel

Barry,

I use my 7CT1N in a 7633 mainframe with a 7A15AN in the horizontal bay, and a 7M13 in the other vertical bay (to label curves). I found that getting the correct attenuation was easier to do with a vertical amplifier than it was with a time base.

I specifically use a 7A15AN so that the display is not cluttered with extraneous readout.

-- Jeff Dutky

n4buq

Jeff,

I think I like using the 7CT1N with an amplifier plugin as opposed to using the time-base's amplifier function as well.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ