Topics

Type 556

Stephen

How much would a Type 556 with 2x 1A1 (3rd iteration) would go for today?
It’s dirty, but seems in good shape.
I’m offered to buy one with the cart. But I have no idea what a good price would be.

tenareze32@...

I think I saw one on Le Bon Coin recently, could it be the same one 4 channel?
Simon

Stephen

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 04:30 AM, <tenareze32@...> wrote:

I think I saw one on Le Bon Coin recently, could it be the same one 4 channel?
Simon
Yep, that’s the one.

Stephen

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 04:30 AM, <tenareze32@...> wrote:

I think I saw one on Le Bon Coin recently, could it be the same one 4 channel?
Simon
I’m in contact with the owner at the moment.

tenareze32@...

Paul Carlson has a YouTube on the 555 which apparently contains 100 tubes. Enough to heat your workshop!
Simon

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:21 PM, Stephen wrote:

How much would a Type 556 with 2x 1A1 (3rd iteration) would go for today?
Nice machine! You realize that it's huge, its net weight is almost 40 kg and it consumes up to almost a kW?

Raymond

Stephen

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 04:39 AM, <tenareze32@...> wrote:

Paul Carlson has a YouTube on the 555 which apparently contains 100 tubes.
Enough to heat your workshop!
Simon
Yes, I saw it. I don’t know if this on has that many tubes in it. I’ve never seen one.

Stephen

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 04:45 AM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:21 PM, Stephen wrote:

How much would a Type 556 with 2x 1A1 (3rd iteration) would go for today?
Nice machine! You realize that it's huge, its net weight is almost 40 kg and
it consumes up to almost a kW?

Raymond
Whaooo! No, I didn’t realize that at all!!
That is huge!! How much would it go for?

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:48 PM, Stephen wrote:

Whaooo! No, I didn’t realize that at all!!
That is huge!! How much would it go for?
It consumes about the same power as its predecessor, the 555. Come to think of it, you need both: The 555 is impressively tall, the 556 is impressively wide.

I have no idea what it'd sell for. Some would pay a lot to get one, others would for getting rid of theirs.
A friend of mine bought one complete a few years ago for a few hundred euros.

Have a look at https://www.wellenkino.de/

Be prepared to become addicted and move to a bigger house.

Raymond

snapdiode

Who knows? They're so rare there's not enough data to figure it out. It's worth whatever the two people agree to.
If it's local you can avoid all the shipping hassles and that is priceless.

Colin Herbert

Have you checked Barrytech?

http://www.barrytech.com/tektronix/vintage/tek556.html

OK, this entry is a bit out-of-date, but this can be a useful source of info on Tek prices.
Colin.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 06:12 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

OK, this entry is a bit out-of-date, but this can be a useful source of info
on Tek prices.
I've never been able to relate Barrytech's used prices to any real-world offers since I started this mania in 2012.

Raymond

redarlington

I'm passively looking for a 556. In working pristine condition I could be
persuaded to part with as much as $300. Maybe $350 with a cart. They are
a thing of beauty and I may just settle for a photograph of one hanging on
my wall.

-Bob

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:12 AM Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=
blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I take your point, Raymond, but it is still a reasonable shot-in-the-dark, failing all else.
Colin.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 06:12 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

OK, this entry is a bit out-of-date, but this can be a useful source of info
on Tek prices.
I've never been able to relate Barrytech's used prices to any real-world offers since I started this mania in 2012.

Raymond

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:33 PM, Stephen wrote:

Yep, that’s the one.
It looks very dirty, the kind that settles if left in unheated, dirty and humid environments. Could well look the same inside. Ask for a few pictures?

Raymond

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 06:22 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

I take your point, Raymond, but it is still a reasonable shot-in-the-dark,
failing all else.
I fully agree, Colin. I often look there. It just never helped re. used prices.

Raymond

stevenhorii

Stephen,

Checking Barrytech is one way of getting prices as has been suggested.
However, they do seem low to me - if they did not mention “bid”, I would
have thought these were hamfest prices. I sold one working with a pair of
1A1 plug-ins for $150 at a hamfest years ago (in the early 1980s). At the
time, I also had a 545B, 585, and 547. The 547 was my favorite - I bought
them surplus (DoD surplus property disposal) and sold all except the 547
and 545B at hamfests. These stayed in the lab when I left (NYU Medical
Center - left in 1988).

I have not seen a 556 for sale on eBay in quite a while. The wide cart to
fit it is also hard to find - particularly the one that holds extra
plug-ins. The one I had sat on the lab bench.

Steve H.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:21 Stephen <stephen.nabet@...> wrote:

How much would a Type 556 with 2x 1A1 (3rd iteration) would go for today?

It’s dirty, but seems in good shape.

I’m offered to buy one with the cart. But I have no idea what a good
price would be.

Stephen

I think I’m gonna pass. I would’ve liked to own one, but given the asking price (240€), and what I’m reading here... Plus.... it’s not local at all. And it’s not in that great a condition... As Raymond mentioned, it’s pretty dirty, and might be the same on the inside. The guy is not willing to open it up. He doesn’t know anything about these except that this one belonged to his father who was a TV repairman in the 70-80’s.
So 240€ plus shipping costs which are probably going to be in the hundreds I’m guessing... Nahhh...

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:23 PM, Stephen wrote:

I think I’m gonna pass. I would’ve liked to own one, but given the asking
price (240€), and what I’m reading here... Plus.... it’s not local at
all. And it’s not in that great a condition... As Raymond mentioned, it’s
pretty dirty, and might be the same on the inside. The guy is not willing to
open it up. He doesn’t know anything about these except that this one
belonged to his father who was a TV repairman in the 70-80’s.
So 240€ plus shipping costs which are probably going to be in the hundreds
I’m guessing... Nahhh...
If the only thing he knows or is going to tell you about it is that he wants €240: Pass

Raymond

Michael W. Lynch

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:23 PM, Stephen wrote:

So 240€ plus shipping costs which are probably going to be in the hundreds
I’m guessing... Nahhh...
One of these beasts would need to be shipped by truck on a pallet. You will need a forklift to unload it.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR