Topics

Type 184

Eric

I have done a cal on the one that I have and it was a weird one. On mine it did need some adjustment. I love the build quality of the 184 and the ability to use double time marks + trigger. Some scope cals call for trigger time with 2 different time marks. only thing i know that will do that is the 184

Zen

On 7/31/2020 12:55 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
I know how you feel! I still have two GPSDOs and a couple of Rb units sitting around (just in case), but although having at least seven stable zeros is nice, it doesn't make the scope you're working on any more accurate.  Unsubscribing from Timenuts made my life easier...
-Dave
On Friday, July 31, 2020, 09:43:19 AM PDT, Stephen <stephen.nabet@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 05:36 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:

Ah. A perfectionist tweaker :)
Yes, I am.  I like precision.  Maybe I do have an OCD.  😂

A quick skim of the schematic makes me think I would expect to see offsets on
the outputs.
Ok.

It is a time calibrator, not an amplitude calibrator. I'd be satisfied if the
peak-peak amplitudes are acceptably large.
Honestly, I haven’t had the time to check everything yet, but for what I’m using it for (mostly .1ms and 1ms time marks), it works like a charm.

Stephen

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:41 AM, Eric wrote:

Interleaved answers.

I have done a cal on the one that I have and it was a weird one. On mine
it did need some adjustment.
I think mine is just fine. 27Hz is really nothing, and way below specs. Given the tight tolerances And German built quality of this HAMEG counter, even if it’s 50Hz (which I highly doubt it is), I’m still good specs wise.
Mine probably needs some minor adjustments as well, I guess. I haven’t checked anything else yet beside the time base.

I love the build quality of the 184 and the ability to use double time marks + trigger.
Yep. It’s pretty amazing, I must say.

> Some scope cals call for trigger time with 2 different time marks. only thing i know that will do
that is the 184.
I’m no expert. This is the first and only Time Mark Generator that I’ve ever had, but I guess you’re right.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 05:56 AM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I know how you feel! I still have two GPSDOs and a couple of Rb units sitting
around (just in case), but although having at least seven stable zeros is
nice, it doesn't make the scope you're working on any more accurate.
Unsubscribing from Timenuts made my life easier...
-Dave
LOL

@0culus

It just needs to be better than the thing you’re calibrating...and it doesn’t take much to beat the accuracy of an analog scope timebase. I adjusted my 184’s crystal oven with the help of my GPSDO and HP 53310A. I was able to get 5 decimal places. Way overkill for calibrating scopes, but it’s cool that it can do that.

Sean