From: Jim Potter
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 10:58 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Triggering problem with TDS6604

I recently acquired a Tektronix TDS6504, which is apparently a non-entity. The software says it is a TDS 6604. It seems to work fine except for a triggering problem which renders it useless.

If I put a 4 GHz sine wave signal in on one channel, for example channel 3, and set up automatic triggering with the triggering selecting another channel, say channel 2, with no signal I see an unsynchronized waveform displayed. The display is set for interpolated time and the sample rate is 20 GHz/sample. The trigger status reads READY. If I switch the trigger source to the channel with a signal the trigger status light TRIG'D is lit as though it's being triggered, but the display is frozen. If I restore the trigger source to the empty channel, the TRIG'D light stays lit. However, if I remove the signal automatic triggering resumes, and when I put the signal back to the channel that is not being used for a trigger, I see the unsynchronized waveform again.

So the issue is that when I apply a signal to a channel and set the trigger input to that channel, the scope appears to be triggering, but the display is frozen to whatever was previously display

Another phenomenon is if I mess around too much trying to see if I can get a display the controls lock up and I get a message about a long operation taking place.

A further note is that the scope passes all the internal tests.

For a while I thought maybe it was waiting for a B trigger, but that is turned off, and if it was waiting the TRIG'D and READY lights would both be lit according to the manual.

It seems to be such a simple problem, but I haven't found any workaround to get the scope functioning normally. Since it isn't a production scope maybe there is something weird going on, but I don't have a clue what it could be.

Any insight about what to try or to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Potter

Thanks for the response, Richard. I will look at the board carefully to make sure it's not something that simple. I'm leaning toward thinking it's the trigger chips. I just found out that the TDS694C uses the same chip, and I have two 694Cs that are potential donors. However, replacing the chips is difficult enough that I need to eliminate simpler possibilities first.

Jim

On December 31, 2018 2:34:24 PM MST, "RICHARD W. MURRAY" <inertial@...> wrote:
Jim

This may not help but I had the same problem with a TDS640. The problem
was
a trace on the
board which was to thin and failed. Worth a look.

Regards

Richard

[...]

RICHARD W. MURRAY

Jim

I spend way to many hours hours checking out the trigger components until I noticed the main line going into the trigger IC
appeared to be quite thin so I checked the trace and found it was open. Your board is likely different
but the location of the problem was in the front center of the motherboard about 1.5" in from the front
of the board.

Regards

Richard

[...]

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Jim,

Did you ever solve the trigger problem with your TDS6604, as I got one here with the same symptom?

All of the diagnostic tests pass except SPC.

This unit had a flat NOVRAM battery - not sure if that is related.

Regards,
- Guy.

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Jim,
I found the cause of the trigger problem with my TDS6604.
It was the trigger chip - luckily we have an SMD repair station at my work -> they are not too hard to replace if you have hot air.
The hard part is to find a source of the chips.
Regards,
- Guy.