Topics

ToTok Trojan Horse!

Richard R. Pope

No! TikTok is a different App. ToTok is Trojan Horse that was published by the UAE. The Apple App Store and some others had it available. Please don't confuse the two of them. They are both bad but I believe that ToTok is the worst of the two. My opinion. If you have it you need to dump it and your Credit Cards and Passwords have been compromised.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 1/18/2020 9:14 PM, bill K7WXW wrote:
The app is called Tik Tok. The application is owned by a Chinese company and has approximately 500 million active users, with 150 million in China. A lawsuit has been filed in California accusing the company of illegally mining personal data from devices on which the application has been installed, whether or not the user activates it. The lawsuit alleges that the application (along with musical.ly) gathers personally identifiable information along with lists of the apps, photos, videos, contact, location lists, email addresses, and IP addresses. It does not allege theft of passwords or credit card numbers, which are typically encrypted. The data gathered is the sort of stuff that advertisers love to buy but can also be used to track a user without their knowledge. The application also apparently has flaws that make it possible for hackers to divert the data gathered to non-company owned servers. The military has banned the use of TIk Tok and other apps like it on government-issued phones due to concerns about its vulnerabilities.

If you use google, facebook, whatsapp, instagram or almost any social media app, you have given permission to the application's owner to harvest much of this data already. While there are limitations are what personally identifiable information such apps can extract (and Tik Tok allegedly ignored these limitations), the "privacy" these limits provide is largely illusory, as discussed, for example, in a NYT article published on December 19, 2019. Do I trust social media companies like Facebook, Google, etc? Nope. Is Tik Tok doing anything they aren't doing? We will see but probably not, unfortunately.

Dan Cordova

I barely started using a smartphone, had a dumbphone for years, and I refuse to carry it with me at all times, despite my wife and kids telling me to "take my phone."

On Saturday, January 18, 2020, 07:22:19 PM PST, Richard R. Pope <mechanic_2@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan,
I don't use wifi, blu tooth, cell phones, or smart phones. Too many security holes. You have to intentionally download and install ToTok. It was advertised as a messaging App. Possibly 10 million people in the States installed it and maybe as many as 100 million worldwide installed it.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 1/18/2020 9:30 PM, Dan Cordova via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Tam Hanna

Esteemed Quorum,

while I normally try to avoid off-topic posts, here I need to respond. I can still remember that my offer of sourcing some obsolete SRAM I found in Slovakia made technically challenged members believe I was trying to hack them.

Either way, here is my take on this topic as sent to another mailing list:

- - -

Hello,

and, what follows from that?

As someone who did some, um, non-civil work, let me tell you. You can never be 100% safe - you always need to assess the threat direction. If you, say, work for an antisemitic private militia, using an Iranian or DPRK-made IM program should be fine. If you, say, work for the German government, using equipment from Reciprocatingly Farting und Spying is not an issue. And so on.

The UAE is extremely friendly with the US government. The last thing they need is a large-scale bank scammer sitting in their country, especially with the situation being as politically charged as it is now in the middle east.

Sorry to be the party pooper, but I see no real reason to worry here.

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

bill K7WXW

for a fascinating look at the totok app, take a look at this forensics post:

https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x52.html

as i noted, the issue isn’t what the app hovers from your phone (because all social media apps do much the same, as do weather and other seemingly innocuous apps) it is who gets a copy of your data. tik tok? the chinese. totok? probably the UAE. facebook? the feds.