From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of sweetbeats
Sent: 08 July 2021 19:33
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] TM 504 Power Module Questions

Greetings all!

Couple questions regarding a TM 504 Power Module:

1. Does anybody know how to remove the plastic dress caps on either end of the carry handle? I’m pointing to what I’m talking about with the orange spudger here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oj4okss3mkgq0g/Photo%20Jul%2008%2C%2010%2053%2002.jpg?dl=0

2. My understanding is the rear interface is programmable to facilitate internal connections between modules, but the manual doesn’t address this outside of Option 2. None of my TM 504s have Option 2, but I thought you didn’t have to have that to be able to configure those internal module-to-module connections. I can see solder lands next to the rear interface connectors on the motherboard behind the aluminum panel at the back of the module bay…does one remove the aluminum plate and, referencing the individual pinouts of the modules to be loaded and interfaced, solder jumper wires as appropriate to those lands directly adjacent to the rear interface connectors?

Sorry for the 101-level question.

Cory Oace

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 08:56 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

Those caps come off very easily indeed. Just poke a fairly wide flat-blade
screwdriver under the cap at the handle end, prise a little and hey presto!
They pop off.
I have a bread knife reserved for these kinds of actions.

Raymond

Jim Ford

Thanks for the reminder, Colin; I think I will check the screws on the handles of all my gear, just in case.  Everybody else should, too.  We would be kicking ourselves if our precious TE were to be damaged due to something silly like a loose screw!                Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "Colin Herbert via groups.io" <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> Date: 7/8/21 11:56 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] TM 504 Power Module Questions Hi Cory,Those caps come off very easily indeed. Just poke a fairly wide flat-blade screwdriver under the cap at the handle end, prise a little and hey presto! They pop off. It isn't a bad idea to take them off occasionally and tighten-up the screws holding the handles onto the metalwork. Mine were a bit loose. It would be a real shame if a handle came off while you were carrying the module.I have a TM504 which has Option 2. This consists of 4 BNC sockets and one 50-pin connector mounted on the rear panel. There is also  60 hook-up wires with a square-pin receptacle on one end for connection between compartments and 30 coaxial wires with square-pin receptacles on both ends. These are what does the "programming", which can be altered at will for whatever purposes you desire. This is all in the Service Manual under "Option 2", but obviously cannot cover all possibilities as the plug-ins that are being used I the mainframe are likely to differ widely between users. Someone might want to connect a function-generator to a counter and/or scope and to the 50-pin connector, or indeed something different. It's up to the user.Colin.-----Original Message-----From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of sweetbeatsSent: 08 July 2021 19:33To: TekScopes@groups.ioSubject: [TekScopes] TM 504 Power Module QuestionsGreetings all!Couple questions regarding a TM 504 Power Module:1. Does anybody know how to remove the plastic dress caps on either end of the carry handle? I’m pointing to what I’m talking about with the orange spudger here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/0oj4okss3mkgq0g/Photo%20Jul%2008%2C%2010%2053%2002.jpg?dl=02. My understanding is the rear interface is programmable to facilitate internal connections between modules, but the manual doesn’t address this outside of Option 2. None of my TM 504s have Option 2, but I thought you didn’t have to have that to be able to configure those internal module-to-module connections. I can see solder lands next to the rear interface connectors on the motherboard behind the aluminum panel at the back of the module bay…does one remove the aluminum plate and, referencing the individual pinouts of the modules to be loaded and interfaced, solder jumper wires as appropriate to those lands directly adjacent to the rear interface connectors?Sorry for the 101-level question. Cory Oace

sweetbeats

Thank you Colin!

My question about programming is in absence of Option 2. Maybe my post wasn’t clear. None of my four TM 504 Power Modules are fitted with Option 2, but I thought programming of the frame was possible without Option 2. No?

Cory Oace

Harvey White

Other than some standard connections for power, the remaining connections are unique (just about) per plug-in.  Some front panel inputs and some internal signals are brought out to the rear pins.  For example, you could wire a counter's input to a signal generator's output.  Some digit and scanning outputs are duplicated on the back panel, but that is not always true. Tektronix intended the back pin connections to replace the front panel connections, thus dedicating a slot to a particular use.

Since there are very few processors in the TM500 series, "programming" is somewhat of a misleading term.  There is a document that details the typical backpanel connections, but the best reference would be the manual for each module, which details what pins are what.  They are *not* standardized, except for the mainframe connections to power and ground.

The TM5000 series *is* programmable, but by GPIB.  It likely has the same kind of back panel pin connections for signal interconnections.

Harvey

On 7/8/2021 3:50 PM, sweetbeats wrote:
Thank you Colin!

My question about programming is in absence of Option 2. Maybe my post wasn’t clear. None of my four TM 504 Power Modules are fitted with Option 2, but I thought programming of the frame was possible without Option 2. No?

Cory Oace

sweetbeats

Thanks. I appreciate the replies.

I feel like I’m not making myself clear.

My DM 501A, AA 501A and DC 504, for instance, all have internal/external source select switches. How, when these modules are loaded in a TM 504 Power Module, do I define the sources to these modules when their source select switches are set to internal/rear? What do I do to my TM 504 motherboards to connect sources to inputs, or more importantly where can I find Tektronix’s instructions for accomplishing this?

Cory Oace

Dave Daniel

If you haven’t already, you might take at look at this

https://w140.com/smb/TM5X_RIB_FREE.pdf

TM500 rear interface specification.

DaveD

On Jul 8, 2021, at 18:37, sweetbeats <torridheatstudios@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. I appreciate the replies.

I feel like I’m not making myself clear.

My DM 501A, AA 501A and DC 504, for instance, all have internal/external source select switches. How, when these modules are loaded in a TM 504 Power Module, do I define the sources to these modules when their source select switches are set to internal/rear? What do I do to my TM 504 motherboards to connect sources to inputs, or more importantly where can I find Tektronix’s instructions for accomplishing this?

Cory Oace

sweetbeats

Yes, thank you. Another group member forwarded that to me. My issue isn’t how to determine the pin out of the modules I have, but rather how to properly accomplish interconnection between modules on a TM 504. I don’t believe the Rear Interface Data Book covers this correct? It addresses the plug in modules but not the Power Modules?

Cory Oace

Harvey White

Assuming no back panel wiring, set switches to external, which switches to the front panel inputs.  Connect front panel inputs as desired.

To use the external/pack panel wiring:

1) get a copy of each module's wiring/manual.  Go to the section that shows the back panel connections.  Using the information for each module, decide which pins need to be connected between modules.  Tektronix (tek wiki) has a document that describes the process.

2) wire pins from module slot to module slot, and of course, label each slot for the desired function.

3) with all modules (as needed, be careful of overall inputs to system, so your input module should not have rear inputs unless you wire to the back panel of the motherboard to the back of the TM504)

Harvey

On 7/8/2021 6:37 PM, sweetbeats wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate the replies.

I feel like I’m not making myself clear.

My DM 501A, AA 501A and DC 504, for instance, all have internal/external source select switches. How, when these modules are loaded in a TM 504 Power Module, do I define the sources to these modules when their source select switches are set to internal/rear? What do I do to my TM 504 motherboards to connect sources to inputs, or more importantly where can I find Tektronix’s instructions for accomplishing this?

Cory Oace

Harvey White

The upper pins are all standard between modules.  Any module, any slot.  You do not change those.  The remaining pins are the ones you need to wire between modules.  If you're considering a power supply module, then it's not likely that you'd do much with the outputs other than perhaps run them to the DMM, except there's only the one input.

Harvey

On 7/8/2021 6:59 PM, sweetbeats wrote:
Yes, thank you. Another group member forwarded that to me. My issue isn’t how to determine the pin out of the modules I have, but rather how to properly accomplish interconnection between modules on a TM 504. I don’t believe the Rear Interface Data Book covers this correct? It addresses the plug in modules but not the Power Modules?

Cory Oace

Dave Daniel

I don’t know. You’ll have to oeruse the document to answer that question.

DaveD

On Jul 8, 2021, at 18:59, sweetbeats <torridheatstudios@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, thank you. Another group member forwarded that to me. My issue isn’t how to determine the pin out of the modules I have, but rather how to properly accomplish interconnection between modules on a TM 504. I don’t believe the Rear Interface Data Book covers this correct? It addresses the plug in modules but not the Power Modules?

Cory Oace

Cory,

I believe that the only purpose of Option 2 is to make the "programming" of the slots easier by providing pin headers and pluggable jumper wires (as BNC connectors and a D-shell connector on the rear panel). You can still "program" the power module in the absence of Option 2, but you must do it with a soldering iron (or you could roll your own Option 2 by adding the pin headers, jumper wires, and rear panel connectors. It's not much more work than soldering the jumpers in place one time, and, once done, much more convenient).

I hope that addresses your question.

-- Jeff Dutky

sweetbeats

Thanks, Jeff, yes I think it does.

I’m a very visual person, which is why I keep pressing for a guide or instructions.

Does anybody have any pictures of their own implementation of this? Like, it’s accomplished using the solder lands directly adjacent to each rear interface connector, right? And is it best to do it on the module bay side of the motherboard (like, remove the aluminum cover plate, install the jumpers, reinstall the cover plate), or on the power supply side of the motherboard? Any special considerations regarding the routing of the jumpers? Any special considerations regarding the wire used for the jumpers?

I’m just surprised with as excellent as the Tek manuals are this is not addressed in the TM 504 manual. I need to spend some time with the Rear Interface Data Book…maybe what I’m looking for is indeed in there and this is a straight up RTFM situation.

Thanks for the responses all and for your patience.

Cory Oace

Harvey White

I always thought hat option 2 was to enable an easy way of getting the rear panel signals out to something you'd want (or need) to build.  Programming would work the same.  I do remember that TEK had some daisy chain jumpers that they made for "removable" programming.

Harvey

On 7/8/2021 11:32 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:
Cory,

I believe that the only purpose of Option 2 is to make the "programming" of the slots easier by providing pin headers and pluggable jumper wires (as BNC connectors and a D-shell connector on the rear panel). You can still "program" the power module in the absence of Option 2, but you must do it with a soldering iron (or you could roll your own Option 2 by adding the pin headers, jumper wires, and rear panel connectors. It's not much more work than soldering the jumpers in place one time, and, once done, much more convenient).

I hope that addresses your question.

-- Jeff Dutky

Cory,

I have a TM503 with Option 2. I'll pull the cover off and post some pictures here.

I'd been trying to buy a TM504 with Option 2 for the longest time, but never found anything at the right price. Now it occurs to me that I was being foolish, as I could easily add a DIY Option 2 if I ever really needed it.

-- Jeff Dutky

sweetbeats

No I didn’t mean pics of Option 2, pics of home grown interfacing on a non-Option 2 Power Module.

Cory Oace

Jared Cabot

Tonight I'll take some pictures of my TM501 and TM503 I have added Option02 to so you can see the idea of how it works.

Jared.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 01:34 PM, sweetbeats wrote:

[...]

I have added an album with pictures of the internals of a TM503 with Opt 2, showing the pin headers added around the back of the card edge connectors. My TM503 does not appear to have been "programmed" in any way, though it came with modules that could have used the "programming." The programming consists, as Harvey White said, of pluggable jumper wires that could route signals from the pin headers to the D-shell connector or the BNC connectors on the back of the unit (or, I presume, between different header pins?).

Here is the link to the album: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=265883

-- Jeff Dutky

sweetbeats

My apologies for dropping off the map after folks took the time to offer help, suggestions, pictures, etc. THANK YOU.

It helped. And looking further in the Rear Interface Data Book coupled with the information submitted herein has got me straightened out with what to do.

My only question will be, when I cross this bridge, if my SG 502 or FG 502 output requires coaxial cable o interconnect vs standard stranded wire. The Rear Interface Data Book mentioned special small diameter 50ohm coax for certain applications. Anyway, will ask if needed when I get to that bridge. Thanks again all.

Cory Oace.