Topics

TM500 faceplates

Just a brief comment on TM500 module faceplates, especially as it relates to test plug ins.

1. the layered plastic/metal front panel is not really useful for most locally made items. Its purpose for Tek was to make the photo-aluminum front or polycarbonate overlay easy to achieve and provide a uniform look, but the entire concept is VERY weak mechanically, as endless broken plug-in corners will attest..

2. a solid metal faceplate of the size of the original plastic one is actually far preferable, and much easier to make. This works with all construction styles, even when re-using an old TM500 plug-in. Just shear an aluminum plate the right size. In fact, some 3rd party TM500 plug in makers used exactly this technique.

3. For test plug-ins, DO NOT worry about the lock, it is not of any utility whatsoever. A pull handle is far preferable.

4. If you look at earlier Tek plug ins from the Letter, 2 and 3 series, you will notice they are made with long stand-offs, this technique is also very possible for TM500 modules if you are working totally from scratch..

custom plug ins are often VERY useful in the lab, I am happy to send pics of ones I use in my own shop.
all the best,
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.

Chris J

Hi Walter,
I have a few 500 racks that I wanted to populate with some unique custom plugins to aid in the troubleshooting process and T&M process. What are your recommendations? General, open ended, question, indeed.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 11:06 AM, walter shawlee<walter2@sphere.bc.ca> wrote: Just a brief comment on TM500 module faceplates, especially as it relates to test plug ins.

[...]

The two custom plug ins I use regularly are my 10MHz standard and my TM500 frame tester. They both are useful to me and fill a need I couldn't easily fill with a Tek unit. I(( can send pics if you want. One I am planning to make is a fixture to measure transformers.

regards,
walter