TM500 Board Set- 3D printed plastic face plate

Dave Seiter

I was about to make the backing plate today and suddenly realized that I needed the plastic surround/trim. (I had forgotten about it!)  Last fall I was working on a 3D printed faceplate for one of the TM500 counters, but had only made it to the basic, generic shape when my printer decided it no longer wanted to play nice.  I still haven't been able to get it working properly, but I had a small pile of test runs I had printed beforehand, and one was good enough for use in this project.  (I ended up cutting two of the samples up for corners to repair the plugin)  Long story short, I decided others might want to print their own for this project.  The file is on the Tinkercad site under "Tek TM500 generic faceplate"  It's NOT the FG502 design.  I've tried to set it as a public file, but the site won't let me scroll down to the bottom of the properties window to be able to do that.  I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list", not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!  I really hate the PC implementation in my macbook!  I guess one could use the FG502 design on Tinkercad and remove the unneeded holes.  If I get the STL of my file correctly downloaded, I'll post it in the files section.
Oh, one more thing- when drilling out the parts today, I found that the hole for the rotary switch didn't match the layout drawing in the manual.  Initially it looked like the offset should be 39.6mm (instead of 38.6mm), but when I checked with the front panel before drilling, it was 39.1mm.  I thought it was me, but all the rest of the holes lined up perfectly.  (still could be me....)
-Dave

Stephen

Have you tried uploading it to https://www.thingiverse.com/ ?

nonIonizing EMF

I can't say much regarding Tinkercad other than I created an account, similar to Fusion360, and wasn't fond of thin client thick server online applications that weren't very efficient for working with offline. Wound up downloading, installing, liking and using DesignSpark Mechanical recently since free and an offline app vs the Solidworks Student/Inventor edition that I don't think even works anymore, if even can be renewed as a free edition.

I do see the FG502 design by SashK: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/3L1Htt5GgNW-tektronix-fg502-front-plastic-plate

I also can see a couple other "Tektronix" search items: https://www.tinkercad.com/search?q=tektronix

Does appear Thingiverse is undergoing maintenance tonight and I recently commented on Reddit regarding issues I was having uploading Designs and found many others experiencing similar. Like for example I can see where I've uploaded 6 Designs... and until just now logging in to see... I was only able to see listed 3 or 4 last time I looked.
https://www.thingiverse.com/nonionizingemf/designs

From what I recall when searching Tektronix on Thingiverse and other searches... not as much came up as I'm seeing now. In the past I found searching using Google Images to be better than the Thingiverse search. That might be changing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tektronix&type=things&sort=relevant

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work
either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list",
not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!

Jared Cabot

I have uploaded a 3D file into the files section for the front panel that should be 3D printable, taken directly from my 3D design files.
I haven't tried printing it, but it should print ok with minimal tinkering.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Tek%20TM500%20Power%20Module%20Tester%20067-1201-99%20New%20Ver.

For the front panel offset thing, is that a dimensional issue between the drawings in the manual and the supplied PCB's?
If so, I'll check it out tonight and see what's up.
I may have adjusted things to make them fit properly but not updated a file somewhere.

Dave Seiter

Yes, I tried 2 hours ago and it didn't work.  Now, two copies are there, but don't seem to be public.  There is also another design for a TM500 box cover which may also work (and I'd sear it wasn't there 2 hours ago!
-Dave

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 08:01:19 PM PST, Stephen <stephen.nabet@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you tried uploading it to https://www.thingiverse.com/ ?

Dave Seiter

Tinkercad is "easy" to use, but there are pitfalls (like losing or not being able to select  objects), and sometimes tools don't work.  25 years ago I used GenericCAD intensively for years, and it always worked as one would expect.  I know 2D CAD is much simpler, but they always worked.  3D CAD programs are just annoying!  They never seem to be intuitive or work well.
-Dave

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 08:18:47 PM PST, nonIonizing EMF <nonionizingemf@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

From what I recall when searching Tektronix on Thingiverse and other searches... not as much came up as I'm seeing now.  In the past I found searching using Google Images to be better than the Thingiverse search.  That might be changing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tektronix&type=things&sort=relevant

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work
either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list",
not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!

Dave Seiter

Yes, when I compared my aluminum layout of the inner panel drill template under the provided front PCB, all the holes lined up except the switch.  I rechecked and got the same difference a few times.
-Dave

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 08:36:18 PM PST, Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have uploaded a 3D file into the files section for the front panel that should be 3D printable, taken directly from my 3D design files.
I haven't tried printing it, but it should print ok with minimal tinkering.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Tek%20TM500%20Power%20Module%20Tester%20067-1201-99%20New%20Ver.

For the front panel offset thing, is that a dimensional issue between the drawings in the manual and the supplied PCB's?
If so, I'll check it out tonight and see what's up.
I may have adjusted things to make them fit properly but not updated a file somewhere.

Harvey White

If you like to program, you might want to try openSCAD.  You do need to be able to program, though.  It's parametrically driven, so you can change things without having to redesign.  Use Notepad++ as an editor though, much better.

Harvey

On 2/16/2021 11:57 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
[...]

From what I recall when searching Tektronix on Thingiverse and other searches... not as much came up as I'm seeing now.  In the past I found searching using Google Images to be better than the Thingiverse search.  That might be changing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tektronix&type=things&sort=relevant

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work
either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list",
not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!

Dave Seiter

I can program if I have to, but I try not to; the last time I did a serious project was about 1993.
-Dave

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 09:38:00 PM PST, Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> wrote:

[...]

From what I recall when searching Tektronix on Thingiverse and other searches... not as much came up as I'm seeing now.  In the past I found searching using Google Images to be better than the Thingiverse search.  That might be changing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tektronix&type=things&sort=relevant

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work
either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list",
not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Harvey,

You get the same parameter driven construction with all
work done in FreeCAD, only it is totally graphical, with
the ability to enter numbers for diameter, etc...

At any point in the process, you can select a feature of
your drawing, and open up the numbers that describe that
feature, and change them. For instance, you can change
a hole diameter, and have everything linked with that hole
change appropriately... all thw way through to tool paths,
and selection for the machining process.

It uses OpenSCAD as part of its core functions, so if you
want to run OpenSCAD native, it can, only it will always
give you a real time picture of what you have done.

-Chuck Harris

Dave Seiter wrote:

[...]

From what I recall when searching Tektronix on Thingiverse and other searches... not as much came up as I'm seeing now.  In the past I found searching using Google Images to be better than the Thingiverse search.  That might be changing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tektronix&type=things&sort=relevant

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work
either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list",
not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!

Harvey White

I saw a few tutorials, fairly impressive.

What FreeCAD does as an implementation of OpenSCAD is to apparently freeze the scenario, so it implements a subsection of the OpenSCAD tools.  This is according to their fine print.

I'm one of those odd people who enjoys programming, it's not a chore at all to me.  So OpenSCAD works well enough for now.  I may investigate FreeCAD for a 2 1/2 D Smart Mill I'm very slowly working on.

All I need to do in OpenSCAD is simply save the code from the editor and the drawing updates.  Do recommend a second monitor for this use, though.

I'll be using OpenSCAD to regenerate the plastic plates for TM500 and TM5000 plugins.

Harvey

Dave Seiter wrote:
[...]

From what I recall when searching Tektronix on Thingiverse and other searches... not as much came up as I'm seeing now.  In the past I found searching using Google Images to be better than the Thingiverse search.  That might be changing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tektronix&type=things&sort=relevant

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

I also tried sending the file to my thingiverse account, but that didn't work
either.  I've downloaded it, but it shows up as a "certificate trust list",
not an .stl.  It's like the universe doesn't want me to share it!

Jared Cabot

Ok, I've corrected the dimensions in the manual now.
The PCB's were made from the latest revision, but I pulled the dimensions from the 3D files just before that final tweak.
The manual has been updated with the correct dimension, so f you download v1.5, it should all match up now.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Tek%20TM500%20Power%20Module%20Tester%20067-1201-99%20New%20Ver.
This link may be a bit weird (dunno why that full stop is there( but if you search the files section for 'TM500' you'll find it.

I also updated the 3D files for the plastic front panel for 3D printing and the main 3D file too.

Jared

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 12:18 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

Oh, one more thing- when drilling out the parts today, I found that the hole
for the rotary switch didn't match the layout drawing in the manual.
Initially it looked like the offset should be 39.6mm (instead of 38.6mm), but
when I checked with the front panel before drilling, it was 39.1mm.  I
thought it was me, but all the rest of the holes lined up perfectly.  (still
could be me....)
-Dave

Did anyone in Europe (or better UK) get the inner front panel 3D printed? If so did you have to get more than one printed? If so I'd be interested to buy one of them? If no-one has spares what material is recommended for 3d printing and what units should I use for the STL file?

Thanks
David----

Ok, I've corrected the dimensions in the manual now.
The PCB's were made from the latest revision, but I pulled the dimensions from the 3D files just before that final tweak.
The manual has been updated with the correct dimension, so f you download v1.5, it should all match up now.

Michael W. Lynch

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 06:47 AM, David C. Partridge wrote:

If no-one has spares what material is recommended for 3d printing and what
units should I use for the STL file?
David,

Not in the UK or EU, so I cannot be much help with a panel. I did print a panel for my project . I used PETG and imported the STL File into CURA for slicing. My CURA slicer is set up to use "metric" dimensions. The STL file supplied had all the holes in the right place. I did make a modification to the back side of the panel using TINKERCAD.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR