TM5006 GPIB interface board.

Andy Warner

I recently picked up a TM5006, which was missing the rear panel GPIB
connector assembly.
This assembly is marked A16 in the manual, and has assembly part number
670-7179-00.
I'm wondering if anyone has one knocking around that they would be willing
to sell.

It is a simple passive board to remap the GPIB connector to the internal
20-pin ribbon cable connector. I can just make up a PCB if I need to, but I
thought I would ask here first.

Here's a photo of the space where it would be:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AACFhZQqkjR6gVU8A

Regards,
--
Andy

Ke-Fong Lin

Hi Andy,

I recently sold a TM5006 rack for parts.
I bought a bunch of plug-ins on ebay and the seller was nice enough to ship them in that very rack as a free extra.
It was beat-up, missing top and bottom covers and some of the plug-in rails were broken.
However, it was actually working perfectly, with the electronics complete, including the back GPIB connector card.

Because of its cosmetic condition, I sold it cheap (20 euros) and the guy who bought it, was mainly interested by the GPIB card.
In fact, it was the only thing he really checked! So it seems he had the same problem as you.
It's surprising that these cards are going missing.

Best regards,

Andy Warner

Good to know - in which case, there may be wider interest in a new PCB to
do this.

Thanks for the perspective.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 2:42 PM Ke-Fong Lin <anotherlin@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Andy,

I recently sold a TM5006 rack for parts.
I bought a bunch of plug-ins on ebay and the seller was nice enough to
ship them in that very rack as a free extra.
It was beat-up, missing top and bottom covers and some of the plug-in
rails were broken.
However, it was actually working perfectly, with the electronics complete,
including the back GPIB connector card.

Because of its cosmetic condition, I sold it cheap (20 euros) and the guy
who bought it, was mainly interested by the GPIB card.
In fact, it was the only thing he really checked! So it seems he had the
same problem as you.
It's surprising that these cards are going missing.

Best regards,

--
Andy

Clark Foley

The three-hole version, TM5003, uses the same assembly; so, you might widen your search if you are looking for a doner.

Ke-Fong Lin

Good to know - in which case, there may be wider interest in a new PCB to
do this.
You may want to try NorComp's 112-024-113R001 for the GPIB connector, they're readily available on Mouser and not that expensive (5-6 euros).
The rest should be easy to design with Kicad.
I used to have a USB-GPIB project but never finished, like many of my projects.

Andy Warner

Thanks for the pointer to a non-expensive right-angle connector.

If I make a board, I'll be sure to post links to boards/files here.

All the connectors I have found appear to have inch-threaded mounting
holes, but the GPIB spec is for M3.5 x 0.6 female threads presented to mate
with the external connectors.
Does anyone have a good source of those ? McMaster doesn't seem to have any
suitable 6-32 or 4-40 options, and my google-fu seems to be weak.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 3:44 PM Ke-Fong Lin <anotherlin@gmail.com> wrote:

Good to know - in which case, there may be wider interest in a new PCB to
do this.
You may want to try NorComp's 112-024-113R001 for the GPIB connector,
they're readily available on Mouser and not that expensive (5-6 euros).
The rest should be easy to design with Kicad.
I used to have a USB-GPIB project but never finished, like many of my
projects.

--
Andy

cmjones01

Mouser seem to do M3.5 spacers and standoffs in a variety of sizes:
https://www.mouser.co.uk/c/electromechanical/hardware/standoffs-spacers/?thread%20size=M3.5%20x%200.6
which should do the job. Incidentally, M3.5x0.6 is the thread size
used for fastening mains sockets and light switches to their wallboxes
in the UK, but that probably doesn't help you much!

Chris

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 9:56 PM Andy Warner <andyw@pobox.com> wrote:

[...]

The available connectors themselves all seem to have threads that are not
M3.5, meaning that I either need to drill them out, or use standoffs with
an inch male thread and a metric female thread. I was asking if there was a
well known source of those, instead of drilling the connector.

wrote:

Good to know - in which case, there may be wider interest in a new
PCB to
do this.
You may want to try NorComp's 112-024-113R001 for the GPIB connector,
they're readily available on Mouser and not that expensive (5-6 euros).
The rest should be easy to design with Kicad.
I used to have a USB-GPIB project but never finished, like many of my
projects.

--
Andy

--
Andy

Jared Cabot

I have three TM5006 mainframes here, I haven't checked if they have the GPIB boards, and I unfortunately can't offer any boards for sale, but I can take some high resolution photos to upload to the TekWiki if that will help, once I have my desk cleared of the PC I'm currently repairing.

Albert Otten

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 12:02 AM, Andy Warner wrote:

The available connectors themselves all seem to have threads that are not
M3.5, meaning that I either need to drill them out, or use standoffs with
an inch male thread and a metric female thread. I was asking if there was a
well known source of those, instead of drilling the connector.
Perhaps suggested already: 3M 3341-3. I used these "jack screws" (called so by Farnell) in my P7001 GPIB project.
Albert

Ke-Fong Lin

Thanks for the pointer to a non-expensive right-angle connector.
I made a mistake, for the TM5006, that should be part 112-024-213R001, the "female" version of the connector.
As for the screws, "jack screws" will probably do. And in a hobby/bench environment, it's not critical to secure everything with screws.

Jared Cabot

Here's the photos and a couple gerbers of a reproduction board I whipped up, copied almost exactly from the board in my TM5006.
There is a PCB and a rear plate. Just order the rear plate as usual for a normal PCB, but choose white solder mask with black silk screen so it looks nice.

Use connector part number 5554923-1 for the GPIB connector (Lots at Digikey) and a standard shrouded right-angle 20-pin 0.1" (2.54mm) pitch rectangular connector for the other side.
You'll have to get a little creative for the standoffs, The threads in the connector are 6-32 UNC-2B according to the datasheet.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/TM500x%20GPIB%20Adapter%20Board

GPIB connector to use:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/5554923-1/1121495

Andy Warner

Thanks for the tried and tested gerbers, Jared - appreciate knowing I'm
nothing like the first to follow this path.

The 3M jack screw part 3341-3 also crosses to TE/AMP 5552633-3, both of
which are available - so thanks for that pointer Albert.

I can only find 4-40 / M3.5 jack screws, no 6-32 ones, so I will likely
choose a connector that has 4-40 natively, such as the NorComp part Ke-Fong
suggested - time to check if the footprint matches the gerbers Jared
posted...

Thanks for all the info, exactly the jump start I needed, much appreciated.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 9:10 AM Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=
protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I just made the gerbers tonight actually. They are a direct copy of the Tek part (slightly modified to use the specified GPIB connector) so they will work fine. If you want to use a different connector, link me to a datasheet and I'll make another gerber tomorrow.

Regards,
Jared

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:41 AM, Andy Warner wrote:

[...]

The connector I was looking at using is the NorComm part (
112-024-213R001) that
Ke-Fong suggested.
It is available, reasonably priced, and has 4-40 threaded panel mounting
screws that match the M3.5 jack-screws that are available.

https://www.norcomp.net/rohspdfs/SCSI-050Ribbon/11Y/112/112-YYY-213R001.pdf

The only differences I can see in the connector footprints between that and
the part you specified are the setback from the PCB edge and the diameter
of the PCB mounting holes.

Appreciate the offer, Jared - please only do this if you have the time to
spend for someone half a world away.
I can make/find the footprint and spin a PCB, but I'm grateful if you are
willing and able.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=
[...]

No worries at all, it doesn't take me long to alter the footprint of that one part. The file is uploaded to the files section:
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/TM500x%20GPIB%20Adapter%20Board
Be aware that the rectangular header is on the opposite side of the PCB to the GPIB header on this version! The chosen part is not a reversed connector like on the Tek part and my first design with the Amphenol GPIB connector.
All you need to do is install the connectors on opposite sides as indicated on the PCB silkscreen, then install the PCB into the bracket flipped 180 degrees and it should all fit without a problem.

I also just updated the original design to remove the need for the ground jumper wire, so re-download the PCB gerber if you plan on making that one.

Regards,
Jared

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 02:01 AM, Andy Warner wrote:

The connector I was looking at using is the NorComm part (
112-024-213R001) that
Ke-Fong suggested.
It is available, reasonably priced, and has 4-40 threaded panel mounting
screws that match the M3.5 jack-screws that are available.

https://www.norcomp.net/rohspdfs/SCSI-050Ribbon/11Y/112/112-YYY-213R001.pdf

The only differences I can see in the connector footprints between that and
the part you specified are the setback from the PCB edge and the diameter
of the PCB mounting holes.

Appreciate the offer, Jared - please only do this if you have the time to
spend for someone half a world away.
I can make/find the footprint and spin a PCB, but I'm grateful if you are
willing and able.

Andy Warner

That board won't work with the NorComp part, because the bulkhead connector
is rotated 180 degrees, and pin 1 is in the wrong row, so it is not just a
matter of putting it in the back of the board.

Thanks for the help, but don't bother re-swizzling - last night I knuckled
down, cranked a PCB, and sent it off for fab.

A consequence of using the NorComp connector is that all the traces need to
cross, so the PCB is not as clean as one that uses a connector with the
same orientation as the original, but hey - it was nothing the autorouter
and a few vias couldn't handle.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 6:57 PM Jared Cabot via groups.io <jaredcabot=
[...]

I think you misunderstood.
I have flipped the footprint for the NorComp part as well as placed it on the opposite side of the PCB, it is a different Gerber with different layout to my original file for the AMP connector.
It's designed it so by putting the NorComp connector on the back of the PCB, when it is installed, the connector ends up installed with the shape of the connector oriented the same as the original part.

I did make a correction to the pin numbering and reuploaded for future reference, but functionally it was correct (as far as I can tell)...

Jared

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 08:00 AM, Andy Warner wrote:

That board won't work with the NorComp part, because the bulkhead connector
is rotated 180 degrees, and pin 1 is in the wrong row, so it is not just a
matter of putting it in the back of the board.

Thanks for the help, but don't bother re-swizzling - last night I knuckled
down, cranked a PCB, and sent it off for fab.

A consequence of using the NorComp connector is that all the traces need to
cross, so the PCB is not as clean as one that uses a connector with the
same orientation as the original, but hey - it was nothing the autorouter
and a few vias couldn't handle.

Vintage Test

Hi Andy,

I have a TM5006 which had a duff mains transformer, so all electronics are available. I’m in the UK, so what do you need?

Cheers,
Mel

--
you can never have enough oscilloscopes, DMMs, valve testers or soldering irons . . .