From: "Dennis Tillman W7pF" <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: 5/30/2020 5:03:19 PM
Subject: [TekScopes] Nice Document Site with Tek manuals; New to me

I just discovered a new (to me) source for documentation and I am scratching
my head wondering why it took me so long to stumble across it since he says
his archive has been available since 2007 and it contains over
11,000manuals.
At first glance it appears to have as much as The Boat Anchor Archive.
I haven't had a chance to explore what it offers us but there are 637
documents / manuals / etc listed for Tektronix.
It has a very nice, clean web interface.

The Tek documents start at
https://www.opweb.de/english/company/Tektronix

The home page is at
https://www.opweb.de/english/home

The owner is:
Oliver Poggensee
Zeppelinplatz 1
25335 Elmshorn
Germany

This is what Oliver says on the site's home page:
I am happy to welcome you on my site. This download archive has been
available since 2007. Starting with a few hundred manuals, there are now
well over 11,000, and new ones are added every month. I have designed these
pages to help all people who own and use old electronic devices. So that
they can be maintained, serviced and repaired more easily, quickly and
professionally. No matter if it is a radio, a television or a measuring
device. The main focus of these pages is on older devices, but you can also
find some technical documentation for newer devices here. With my own search
for good download possibilities I often found fake pages, where you can't
download the manual you are looking for, or dubious dealers selling the
manuals that are actually freely available, I want to counter this with my
site. I hope that you will use this offer actively and that it is useful for
you. All manuals here are completely free and can be downloaded directly
without any restrictions.

Do you have any manuals or images of your device, please upload it here and
share it with others .

I have taken the effort to collect all information available about the
respective manuals. There is for example a preview of the first page, the
page number, date of publication and many other information.

I don't want to compete with professional schematic services, most manuals
are of medium to low quality, not comparable to the high resolution scans of
professional service providers. All manuals have been provided by users from
various sources. I have attempted not to publish material from professional
service providers here, but if there is material from a professional service
here, I will delete it as soon as possible. For this purpose a short message
is sufficient.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

magnustoelle

Good Day Jim,
no intentions to discourage you, but I‘d be seriously surprised if you can get access to component level schematics for your TLA.
I had tried the same for my TLA715 unit three years ago, and my search has not yielded to anything. Tektronix seems very keen to keep the schematic non-public. Even the smart team from xdevs failed the same with their TLA714, see https://xdevs.com/fix/tla714/  so my conclusion is that the schematics for Tektronix Logic Analyzers from that era are unobtainium.

Cheers,
Magnus

Hi, everybody.

I'm looking for a schematic for the Benchtop Controller module that goes
in the TLA711 logic analyzer mainframe.  The Benchtop Controller says
"039-0039-03" on it, and I have the service manual for it, 070-9778-03,
but it doesn't contain schematics for the boards.  opweb.de didn't have
it, nor did BAMA.  Anybody have one of these?  I'd pay for one; <$100,
else I'll just get a TLA704 on ePray.

Thanks.

Jim Ford
Laguna Hills, California
U.S.A.

[...]

I was afraid of that.

The reason I ask for the schematic is that a couple years ago I tried to replace the realtime clock module with a more modern chip + CR2032 battery holder + 32.768 kHz crystal, but I kind of hacked the board getting the original DIP module out. Must have cut a trace or two in the process. Should be easy enough to find and fix, but having a schematic would be better.

I'll attempt to fix it, and if I can't, I'll sell the mainframe on eBay (if nobody on TekScopes wants it), keep the benchtop controller and 7L3 logic analyzer plug-in as parts mules, and buy a TLA704 or 714. The TLA711 is a behemoth, but if you really need 1000+ channels of logic analysis, this is one way to get there. I picked it up with the benchtop controller module for $500 about 15 years ago, and it has served its purpose well.

Thanks anyway, Magnus.

[...]

Egge Siert

Hi Jim.

Some months ago I bought (out of curiosity) a "working" TLA704 with an overdue DS12887 (OS not found). Mouser still has this device and after replacing the old one new settings can be saved and the TLA704 is now working flawlessly. Based on its (DS12887) Diagram and Pin-Out it seems not a hard one to reconstruct the missing traces. In my experience it is nearly impossible to damage through-hole connections in Multi-Layer Boards. I suggest to put back a new DS12887 (this time with DIL-Socket).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daoxD-SS3ZU (for another solution)

Succes,

Egge Siert

Roy Thistle

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:53 AM, Egge Siert wrote:

In my experience it is nearly impossible to damage through-hole connections in
Multi-Layer Boards.
Hi Egge, Hi All:
Trust me, with a Mr. Carlson Weller soldering gun special, and a Hexagon 100Wer... people do it to Tek stuff, all the time.
Best regards and wishes.
Roy

Jim Ford

Thanks, Egge.

It's been over 3 years since I messed with the benchtop controller, so I don't recall the P/N I used to replace the original module. I'm not a fan of Dallas Semiconductor or Maxim Integrated who bought them, so I probably put in an STMicroelectronics part instead. I do recall that the original module had the battery and crystal included but the modern equivalent just had the memory only.

I will take a look on my board shortly. I'm more motivated these days because a buddy is moving and is giving me a PCMCIA to GPIB adaptor, which would allow me to connect the TLA to GPIB. I'm just getting started connecting my other test gear to my garage lab PC through GPIB, so it would be handy to have the TLA on the bus as well. Probably this weekend I'll look into it.

Jim

Some months ago I bought (out of curiosity) a "working" TLA704 with an overdue DS12887 (OS not found). Mouser still has this device and after replacing the old one new settings can be saved and the TLA704 is now working flawlessly. Based on its (DS12887) Diagram and Pin-Out it seems not a hard one to reconstruct the missing traces. In my experience it is nearly impossible to damage through-hole connections in Multi-Layer Boards. I suggest to put back a new DS12887 (this time with DIL-Socket).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daoxD-SS3ZU (for another solution)

Succes,

Egge Siert

Jim Ford

Or a ham-fisted Jim Ford with some oversized wire cutters hacking around. Just sayin'.

Jim