Topics

Tektronix triggering mode writeup

@0culus

Hi,

Some time back in a discussion I now cannot remember (so I can't find it), someone (perhaps Dennis) shared an app note type document that went into some detail about how the trigger modes on Tek scopes work. Does someone else remember this and know where it is, or have I gone crazy?

Thanks,

Sean

snapdiode

@0culus

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 08:52 AM, snapdiode wrote:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/f/fa/062-1056-00.pdf
Thank you!!! I'm not crazy after all.

Sean

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM, @0culus wrote:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/f/fa/062-1056-00.pdf
That's an older (but very good) "Circuit Concepts" book (they are generally very good; but mostly written... and about... technology that is decades old.)
A newer, but not as well written... in my opinion... "write up" called Triggering Fundamentals is available on the Tektronix Website at
ttps://download.tek.com/document/55W_17291_6_0.pdf
In that they discuss such topics as "triggering on runt pulses"... and yes it is legal to do that in most states.
Also, there are way too cool colour pictures!

snapdiode

If it ain't got tubes, it ain't for me!
Just kidding, that's a good link.

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 02:52 PM, snapdiode wrote:

that's a good link.
Also if you search through the messages... you'll find a discussion where Dennis is relating how Tektronix, at one past point, was behind HP in triggering technology... that was not a good place for Tek to be... since an oscilloscope that triggers well is the one that gives you the display you need to see.
Another bit of triggering trivia is that while fully digital triggering (that's a digital triggering system gets its data from the ADC) is beginning to show up now... most scopes, analog or digital, had/have an analog trigger system... at least up to last couple of years.
Tek's modern DSOs have a wide variety of very useful triggers available... edge, runt, window... and many other triggers very useful for working with the signals found in modern digital systems.
I don't know of a book that is the modern equivalent of the Circuit Concepts one... that is a book that discusses the analog design, and the software design, of modern DSO triggering systems.