Topics

Tektronix Blue paint - source in the UK ??

David Slipper

Has anyone discovered a source of this paint in the UK ?

Getting it from abroad is tricky because of postal regulations.

Dave

Jack

In that case Dave, what about sourcing the pigment in liquid (tube) or powder form...? That may be the shot.
Jack

george edmonds

Hi All
I also would very much like to source the pain in the UK,  the blue paint on the  2XXX series appears to be water based and cannot even be washed with water without if coming off.
73 George G6HIG

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 12:25 AM, David Slipper <softfoot@...> wrote:

Has anyone discovered a source of this paint in the UK ?

Getting it from abroad is tricky because of postal regulations.

Dave

Roy Morgan

Tekscope painters,

A fellow in the US has developed paint formulas for many amateur radio cabinets. Here is part of a recent message from him. I have asked him if he has any Tektronix paid formulas (there are none in his online list). Likely some paint supply store in the UK can “computer match” the cabinet color if you bring it in to them.

Roy

On Oct 26, 2018, at 12:36 PM, Glen Zook via Collins <collins@...> wrote:

I have not had a need for the paint for the KWM-380. What I do, when I need a new paint color, is to take the cabinet to my local Sherwin-Williams store and have it "computer matched". At least at my local store, so far, the match has been "perfect"! Then, I get, usually, a quart of the paint.

(He uses a spray gun to apply the paint. Some stores can make a spray can from a formula.)

On Dec 1, 2018, at 8:53 PM, george edmonds via Groups.Io <G6HIG=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi All
I also would very much like to source the pain in the UK, the blue paint on the 2XXX series appears to be water based and cannot even be washed with water without if coming off….
Has anyone discovered a source of this paint in the UK ?
Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

tom jobe <tomjobe@...>

I see that you are not getting many replies to this discussion, so you probably don't realize it has been discussed many-many times over the years here on Tekscopes.
A search of the Tekscopes message archive should turn up the actual paint formula for the Tektronix color, from which you might be able to have the paint mixed locally.
I realize the environmental laws are changing quickly around the world, but you may even be able to have this paint put in spray cans where you live.
Shops that supply the paint to automotive body repair businesses might be one place that can help you.
Best of luck!
tom jobe...

On 12/1/2018 5:53 PM, george edmonds via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi All
I also would very much like to source the pain in the UK,  the blue paint on the  2XXX series appears to be water based and cannot even be washed with water without if coming off.
73 George G6HIG

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 12:25 AM, David Slipper <softfoot@...> wrote:

Has anyone discovered a source of this paint in the UK ?

Getting it from abroad is tricky because of postal regulations.

Dave

Sam Reaves

Krylon Baham Sea is very close. If you take a part that has the color many
automotive paint stores can match it.

Sam
W3OHM

--
Sam Reaves
ARS W3OHM

bobh@joba.com

Yes, and the file https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Tek%20Paints.pdf in the Tekscopes files area has the manufacturer numbers from the Tek paint reference.

Bob.

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Has anyone discovered a source of this paint in the UK ?

Getting it from abroad is tricky because of postal regulations.

Dave
Does no-one bother check the archives? I went through precisely this exercise in the UK and sourced
Tek blue paint, with the right degree of mattness, matched from a colour sample sprayed with paint
from Tektronix.

I even bought a load of the stuff in spray cans with the offer to sell it to guys just like you - and
got very little response. So I've been using it up restoring my sizable stable of Tek gear.

So, call up https://www.paints4u.com/ and buy some. They still have the formulation.

Craig

Reed Dickinson

A few years ago I took a very nice Tek Williamsburg Blue case to an established paint store here in Orange County, CA.  They had a spectrograph and came up with this formula.  The owner said it is readable by any paint store.  I bought a gallon and it was a perfect match.  It is not water based so it can be thinned to use in a spray gun.
B        4Y22            BlackC        33                Yellow OxideD        1Y29            GreenW        1Y32            WhiteE        1Y45            BlueBase    7-916
Y = ounces4Y = 4 ounces48 points = 1 ounce
I would imagine that the black used would be 4+22/48 ounces or 4.458 ounces and the yellow oxide would be 33/48 or .688 ounces.
Reed Dickinsonreed714@...

David Slipper

Thanks for the tips - there is a local "auto paint matching" service
that I will try, though if the minimum quantity is a gallon it's gonna
be donkey's years before I use it all !!

BTW I did search the group.io but was unable to find much re the UK -
perhaps it was lost in the "clutter" ;-)

Dave

.

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Thanks for the tips - there is a local "auto paint matching" service that I will try, though if the
minimum
quantity is a gallon it's gonna be donkey's years before I use it all !!

BTW I did search the group.io but was unable to find much re the UK - perhaps it was lost in the
"clutter" ;-)

Dave
Paints4u! I'll say it again - Paints4u. Paints4u. They have the formulation, you don't have to buy a
gallon. They supply it in spray cans or in a can along with a can of thinner if you want to use a
spray gun.

Last time I'm going to say that. I'm done on this topic.

Craig

Brian Cockburn

Hi Craig,

I went through precisely this exercise in the UK and sourced
Tek blue paint, with the right degree of mattness, matched
from a colour sample sprayed with paint from Tektronix.

I even bought a load of the stuff in spray cans with the offer to
sell it to guys just like you - and got very little response.
Sorry, I must have missed that thread. I'm in Cambridge UK, and might be interested in a can (if there's any left) to fix up my 2245A which is looking a bit sad. Let's talk by email: brian.cockburn.1959 at gmail.com

Thanks, Brian.

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Sorry, I must have missed that thread. I'm in Cambridge UK, and might be interested in a can (if
there's any left) to fix up my 2245A which is looking a bit sad. Let's talk by email:
brian.cockburn.1959
at gmail.com

Thanks, Brian.
Sorry Brain - used it all myself in the end. Phone Paints4u - they have the recipe they developed for
me.

Craig

george edmonds

Hi Craig
I have tried looking on the Paints4U web site and used their search facility looking for Tektronix with no success.  Do you by chance know what they called the paint that they supplied to you.
Thanks for your patience.
73 George G6HIG

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 11:47 PM, Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...> wrote:

>  Sorry, I must have missed that thread.  I'm in Cambridge UK, and might be interested in a can (if
there's any left) to fix up my 2245A which is looking a bit sad.  Let's talk by email:
brian.cockburn.1959
at gmail.com

  Thanks, Brian.
Sorry Brain - used it all myself in the end. Phone Paints4u - they have the recipe they developed for
me.

Craig

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

Phone them. Like I said.

I have tried looking on the Paints4U web site and used their search facility looking for Tektronix
with
no success. Do you by chance know what they called the paint that they supplied to you.
Thanks for your patience.
73 George G6HIG

chris gare

I'm from the UK and don't quite understand the "Bluebase 79126" reference? The the other colors are fine as they are in Ounces?

Help please anyone!

Chris

Colin Herbert

There has been communication on Tek blue paint ever since I joined this Forum. May I respectfully suggest that you have a search through the past posts to find all you can. There is a lot of information there, though a good deal relates to US providers, I am sure that some UK-dwelling members have contributed.
Colin.