Topics

Tektronix Blue paint

Reed Dickinson

I am re-sending the data as the columns did not line up.    Years ago a friend, Stan Griffiths, now deceased, passed on to me this Tektronix Blue paint formula.  He called it Williamsburg Blue.  He said it came from a commercial paint company but I really do not know how to read the formula.  Here it is:
B  4Y22  Black,    C 33 Yellow oxide,  D 1Y29 Green,  W 1Y32 White, E 1Y45 Blue, Base 7-916Y = ounces, 4Y = 4 ounces,  48 Points = 1 ounce
Another formula, this one from the late Dean Kidd, is as follows:
Base, E480 DBD Interior Satin
Lamp Black  37 shots,  Thalo Green  22 half shots,  Thalo Blue 30 half shots, white 1 ounce 8 shots
I would appreciate any feedback on these two formulas for my notes.
Reed Dickinson, 1705 Stonehenge Drive, Tustin, CA  92780, reed714@...

Richard Knoppow

Its better. The example I used in my post does not really have columns. I found that part of the preservation of formatting depends on the choice of font. If you use variable spacing and the reader uses fixed spacing things will not line up. I don't know a real cure for this.
   I suppose someone who mixes custom paints probably understands the formula.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@...

John Williams

If it helps, here is the information from an old can of Stan’s paint:

Opex L61 Lacquer
L61XXXL42-4383
Tek Blue
05/05/2011
Portland Commercial #4383
To reorder (503) 249-0222

I contacted them a few years ago at that phone number and I was told they could supply it. However the minimum order was 24 cans. So I decided to improvise.

Richard Knoppow

I am puzzled, you say it would make 16oz, or a quart. Is  not a quart 32oz or is it different for paint?

On 7/11/2020 8:07 PM, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 02:07 PM, Reed Dickinson wrote:

Stan Griffiths, now deceased, passed on to me this Tektronix Blue paint
formula.  He called it Williamsburg Blue.
OPEX is Sherwin Williams (at least in 2016)... and is fast drying (10 minutes) alkyd nitrocellulose lacquer (that requires priming on Aluminum) L161 comes in Black, White, Red, Yellow, Aluminum, Clear, and base... but I speculate that Opex Lacquer is not what is used in the formula that Stan gave you. L61XX is a custom Opex paint... which makes sense since it was called "Tek blue"... or Tektronix Blue... not a lacquer Sherwin Willians could sell to other customers.

You mentioned the following data.

B 4Y22 Black,
C 33 Yellow oxide, (I think that this should be 0Y33... 33 ounces of yellow seems a lot.)
D 1Y29 Green,
W 1Y32 White,
E 1Y45 Blue,
Base 7-916 (I think this should be 916 7Y0 Base)
You were given that Y = ounces, 4Y = 4 ounces, 48 Points = 1 ounce... so the above would make close to 16 fluid ounces of paint, or 1 quart.

The "Base" is the bulk of the volume, and you are adding colours, and you are adding shade (Black), and tint (White) to make a particular tone that Stan called Williamsburg Blue (a "colour" around which there is more wank than that around contact cleaners.) "916" is the paint manufacturer's paint code for the Base. "B,C,D,W,E" are the codes for the pure colours, and tints and shades.

If you can remember how long ago you got the formula from Stan... maybe I can tell you more.
--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@...

Richard Knoppow

You wrote:

You were given that Y = ounces, 4Y = 4 ounces, 48 Points = 1 ounce... so the above would make close to 16 fluid ounces of paint, or 1 quart.
Looks like you meant 16oz was a quart. Its a pint so I asked.

On 7/11/2020 8:48 PM, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 08:21 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

16oz, or a quart
Nope... definitely 16 ounces to a pint... and two pints to a quart.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@...