Topics

Tektronix 570 Vacuum Tube Curve Tracer on eBay

John Williams

Roy Morgan

Gee. Only ten bucks less than four thousand dollar$. Too bad he doesn't have two - one for spare.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

Jamie Ostrowski

When the prices get that high, at some point you need to ask yourself how
much it would cost to build one from scratch!

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:25 PM Roy Morgan <k1lky68@...> wrote:

Gee. Only ten bucks less than four thousand dollar$. Too bad he doesn't
have two - one for spare.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Jan 4, 2020, at 11:02 PM, John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-570-Vacuum-Tube-Curve-Tracer-w-manual/333465990412?hash=item4da41f350c:g:~hMAAOSwpj1eETIK

Dan Cordova

For less than $200, I put together a Dennis Tillman VTCT board, and modified my Hickok Tube Tester to use with my Tektronix 575 curve tracer.  I also made the Daniel Schoo designed triode and pentode adapters for the Tektronix 576 Curve Tracer at work.
I'm also not sure all my tubes and stereo gear are worth ~$4000 all together.    ;)

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, 08:25:27 PM PST, Roy Morgan <k1lky68@...> wrote:

Gee.  Only ten bucks less than four thousand dollar$. Too bad he doesn't have two - one for spare.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Jan 4, 2020, at 11:02 PM, John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-570-Vacuum-Tube-Curve-Tracer-w-manual/333465990412?hash=item4da41f350c:g:~hMAAOSwpj1eETIK

John Williams

Maybe a lot of people have a car that cost less. And that is not a BIN price but an auction. So the seller clearly hopes to get more than the 4K for this one.

One time I was delivering an oscilloscope I had sold locally to a guy. When I walked into his office there sitting on a table was a pristine 570. I stupidly blurted out that “those are worth over $2000!” But I didn’t have the money to buy it so I left. But after some more sales I did have a bit of a nest egg and went back to see if he would sell it. When I asked him what he would take for it, he said “$2000.” Nice going. But I did buy it and again stupidly later sold it. I would like to still have it just to own it. I wonder if he will get bids.

Jamie Ostrowski

Ha, interesting story. Yeah, I didn't even notice it was an actual auction.
I would be surprised if anyone bids on that, but I could be wrong! Will be
interesting to see what happens.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:16 AM John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

Maybe a lot of people have a car that cost less. And that is not a BIN
price but an auction. So the seller clearly hopes to get more than the 4K
for this one.

One time I was delivering an oscilloscope I had sold locally to a guy.
When I walked into his office there sitting on a table was a pristine 570.
I stupidly blurted out that “those are worth over $2000!” But I didn’t have
the money to buy it so I left. But after some more sales I did have a bit
of a nest egg and went back to see if he would sell it. When I asked him
what he would take for it, he said “$2000.” Nice going. But I did buy it
and again stupidly later sold it. I would like to still have it just to own
it. I wonder if he will get bids.

cnc_joker

A long time ago in the early 80's the Massachusetts hams ran an auction at Honeywell Inc
in Billerica. You could bring your old electronic stuff and they would auction it off. It was
great fun and always well attended.

Anyway, one guy brought a 370 to be auctioned. As he wheeled it in on a cart the crowd
chuckled. When it went up for auction it sold for $1 and the auctioneer had a hard time
getting even that! Between then and now, what a great return on that investment.

Pete.

Mlynch001

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:16 AM, John Williams wrote:

I wonder
if he will get bids.
I am watching it just to see what happens.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Mlynch001

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:48 PM, Dan Cordova wrote:

For less than $200, I put together a Dennis Tillman VTCT board, and modified
my Hickok Tube Tester to use with my Tektronix 575 curve tracer.  I also made
the Daniel Schoo designed triode and pentode adapters for the Tektronix 576
Curve Tracer at work.
I'm also not sure all my tubes and stereo gear are worth ~$4000 all together.
   ;)
I KNOW my stereo gear is not worth that much! I have the stuff to build Dennis Tillman's VTCT and I have a 576 as well. So even after I buy a suitable tube tester, I am sure that all told I would have less than $1000 in the whole thing. It might not do what the 570 will do, but likely 95% as much and still test solid state devices as well. You would need to have a serious desire or even more serious need for this thing in order to justify paying that price. From the description, it sounds as though this thing is not quite ready to go as it is. The elephant in the room is getting it shipped to ones location without it being destroyed in the process. The seller does have a "Make an Offer" option as well. This will be interesting to watch.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Eric

I would love to have a 570 in the lab but not for that that is nuts.

On 1/5/2020 9:36 AM, Mlynch001 wrote:
[...]

Is there a modern version of these curve tracers? From what I have seen the 300 series seems to be about the top end. I know you can get the same functionality today but you need 2 X $10,000 SMU's, and a computer, and software so call it a $25,000 setup though given the catalog price of the 576 and the 300's doesn't sound so bad now that I say it.

On 1/5/2020 6:59 AM, cnc_joker via Groups.Io wrote:
A long time ago in the early 80's the Massachusetts hams ran an auction at Honeywell Inc
in Billerica. You could bring your old electronic stuff and they would auction it off. It was
great fun and always well attended.

Anyway, one guy brought a 370 to be auctioned. As he wheeled it in on a cart the crowd
chuckled. When it went up for auction it sold for $1 and the auctioneer had a hard time
getting even that! Between then and now, what a great return on that investment.

Pete.

Dave Daniel

I have been looking at sales of Tektronix 570s, mostly but not all on ebay, for a long time now. All of then have had an asking price of around $4k.

DaveD

Sent from a small flat thingy

On Jan 5, 2020, at 09:45, Eric <ericsp@...> wrote:

[...]

peter bunge

So what is a SMU?

SMU Singapore Management University
SMU Southern Methodist University
SMU Saint Mary's University *(Halifax, Nova Scotia; Philippines)*
SMU Solid (Waste) Management Unit
SMU Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
SMU Sikkim Manipal University *(India)*
SMU Suomen Merimies-Unioni *(Finnish: Finnish Seamen's Union)*
SMU Sindicato Médico del Uruguay
SMU Storage Migrator for Unix
SMU Shanghai Maritime University *(Shanghia, China)*
SMU Santa Monica United *(soccer; California)*
SMU Swansea Metropolitan University *(UK)*
SMU Sekolah Menengah Umum *(Indonesian High school)*
SMU Special Management Unit
SMU Services Médicaux d'Urgence *(French: Emergency Medical Services)*
SMU Southern Mississippi University
SMU Special Mission Unit *(US DoD)*
SMU System Management Utility
SMU Smallest Mining Unit
SMU Start Me Up
SMU Southeastern Massachusetts University *(formerly used, now Umass)*
SMU Source Measurement Unit
SMU Storage Management Utility *(data storage)*
SMU Special Make Up
SMU Selective Mining Unit
SMU Sociedad Mexicana de Urología
SMU System Managed Undo *(Oracle Databases)*
SMU Sediment Management Unit
SMU Supply Management Unit
SMU Sassy Management Unit
SMU Small Marching Unit
SMU Switch Multiplexer Unit
SMU Secure Mobile Unit
SMU Service Meter Unit
SMU Scrutin Majoritaire Uninominal *(French: Single Member Plurality)*
SMU Service Management Unit
SMU Strategic Market Unit
SMU Switch Multiplex Unit
SMU Svenska Missionskyrkans Ungdomsförbund
*(Swedish Christian Youth Organisation)*
SMU Storage Management Unit
SMU Secours Médical d'Urgence
*(French: Emergency Medical Relief; various organizations)*
SMU Subscriber Module Urban
SMU Single-Word, Multiple-Bit Upset
SMU Software Maintenance Update *(Cisco)*
SMU Speaker/Microphone Unit *(US NASA)*
SMU System Master Unit
SMU Sindh Madressah University *(Karachi, Pakistan)*
SMU Shelter Management Unit *(US FEMA)*
SMU Space Management Utility
SMU Small and Medium-Sized Undertaking
SMU System Measurement Unit
SMU Simple Mail Users
SMU Space Self Maneuvering Unit
SMU Secours Mondial d'Urgence *(French: World Emergency Relief)*
SMU Super Module Unit
SMU Super Millionaire University
*(fictional, from TV show Gilligan's Island)*
SMU Smoke Me Up
SMU Safe Mode Utility
SMU Special Maintenance Unit *(India)*

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 10:10 AM Eric <ericsp@...> wrote:

[...]

David Holland

You forgot "Sucks More than Usual" :-)

But I'm not sure what the advantage of a 570 is over something like
the Utracer3+. If its voltage, I'll mention rumor has it, Ronald
is working on a v6 that'll do 1KV plate & screen....

(Not that I'd ignore a 570 if I found it lying by the side of the road
mind you...)

David

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 10:52 AM peter bunge <bunge.pjp@...> wrote:

[...]

John Griessen

On 1/5/20 9:51 AM, peter bunge wrote:
SMU Source Measurement Unit
probably, maybe not... :-)

Many of you are not familiar with what the 570 is worth to a lot of people. His starting price is not out of line at all. If past auctions are any indication it will sell for over $5,000.

Dennis Tillman W7PF