Tektronix 547

Dave Daniel

Well, I rescued a Tektronix 547 today. The guy wanted $40, then after I called he discovered that he couldn't get a trace on it, so offered it for free. It came with 1A2 and H plug-ins, and a type 3 cart. I gave him $20. He told me he was going to dump it if he couldn't find a home for it.

I haven't fired it up yet - need to haul it up the stairs into the lab. It is in pretty good cosmetic shape, but needs a good cleaning.

I recall someone posted a while back that they have some Tektronix blue spray paint? Is that still available? I'd actually like to restore this 'scope fully if I can. The cover is in pretty decent shape, but there a fair amount of bare metal where the cover has been scratched. The remaining paint is pretty bright, though.

So, I only want one more Tektronix 'scope (I have 12 now) - a 556. It's not likely I'll be able to have one of those shipped, so it'll have to be another local find.

The 7409 will have to go, now, I suppose. As will the Hickock.

DaveD

Cliff White

Nice. That's a good find. Let's hope the HV transformer is good!

I'm kinda in the opposite situation, I have a 556, but no 547. Although
I don't really have space for one either... You are absolutely correct
about shipping, mine weighs 95 pounds!

Respectfully,
Cliff White, W5CNW
w5cnw@arrl.net <mailto:w5cnw@arrl.net>

On 07/26/2014 04:21 PM, Dave Daniel kc0wjn@gmail.com [TekScopes] wrote:

[...]

I've wanted a 547 for a while now. I don't see them very often, and I've never seen one located close enough to go and pick it up. A random search for "Tektronix" on the local Craigslist disrupted my Saturday. But it was worth it.

Looks like I get a beam and a diffuse spot, but no vertical or horizontal control. Whe I turn the 'scope on, there is no display for about five seconds, and then there is a click (relay, I presume) and then I see a quick trace that starts in the middle of the CRT and drops down and then off the right side of the CRT, then the diffuse spot.

Now its time to start looking at the manual and some voltages, I guess.

BTW, I was wrong, it's a Type B cart, not a Type 3.

Cheers,
DaveD

On 7/26/2014 3:51 PM, Cliff White cn.white@sunbelt-plb.com [TekScopes] wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Cliff White

I had a similar happening one day. Same exact scenario, searched for
"oscilloscope" on craigslist. Aha! A 547 30 minutes away. According to
the description it had "dozens of plugins, a box of manuals, lots of
probes, and a cart." $100. Texted the guy, and he said he sold it 20
minutes ago. Oh well...

Sounds like you've got an amplifier or two railed. Shouldn't be too hard
to fix.

wrote:
[...]

I search for "Tektronix" every month or two on Craigslist. Sometimes I don't take a look for several months. I've never seen anything that interested me before.

I'm guessing that the person who bought "your" 547 searched quite frequently (or else the timing was just an asynchronous anomaly). Who'd guess that someone was searching for something like that on a regular basis and often enough rate to see that? AND.. it had to be someone who, of all the (few) 'scopes out there, WANTED a 547.

Dozens of plug-ins? I haven't looked on a Tektronix catalog yet, but were there actually dozens of *different* 5xx-series plug-ins?

Fixing it should be fun. No custom ICs to deal with.... gotta get a high-voltage probe, though. I have a P2015A, but I'm thinking Fluke 27 with a 40kV probe.

I was thinking I might buy a spare CRT and transformer if I can find them ... for the future. This 'scope will go on my audio bench.

DaveD

wrote:
[...]

Jerry

I check Craigslist several times a day and have found incredible deals offered by really greedy people. Selling grandpop's tool box,  for instance.   On the other hand, sometimes I find people that honestly don't mind giving you a deal to help out a fellow inventor or engineer.

The best deal recently was my near perfect TDS744a with options,  five 6139 probes,  accessory case,  BBC patch cords,  terminators, etc for $400.  This person was one of the latter,  really nice guy.

It seems like people end-up with test equipment after leaving a company or failed dot coms and don't know the value. Maybe that is why they don't go to eBay.

I'm negotiating with two guys on spectrum analyzers right now,  wish me luck.

wrote:
[...]

Same here. I only check when I think about it, which is usually every
month or two.

Actually, the story was kind of interesting. I think I'm probably the
only person for a two hour drive in any direction that even knows what a
547 really is. Normally "oscilloscope" returns zero local results. But
in this case, I think the buyer just wanted some kind of scope. The
seller said that the buyer was a guitar player, and knew nothing of
electronics. I sure hope he learns about it, and treats the 547 like the
special machine it really is! On the other hand, if/when his HV
transformer goes, he'll probably put it back on Craigslist, then I'll be
watching. ;)

Yes, there were quite a few plugins (see
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Letter-series_and_1-series_plug-ins). But
there might not be a dozen that don't overlap features. Unless you count
some of the rare and little-use ones such as the transistor risetime
measuring plugin, or diode recovery time plugin, etc. Tek made some
weird ones!

Working on the 500s is fun. Do you have any others in the 500 series?

You probably don't need the HV probe unless (or until) you know there's
a problem with the HV -- just because problems are common doesn't mean
yours has it. If it is bad, Chuck Harris (member of the group, I think),
rewinds them with potting that doesn't have the same problem as the
original. I sure hope my 556 never goes... It has two transformers, and
they're packed in deep in the heart of that beast. I think the 547 is
somewhat easier to get to, but I don't know.

wrote:
[...]

Albert Otten

The click of the relay should occur after half a minute or so, not after 5 seconds. But then also the trace is drifting some more time.
What do the 4 neon lights tell you about beam position? The diffuse spot might not be the actual beam position.

Albert

====
Looks like I get a beam and a diffuse spot, but no vertical or
horizontal control. Whe I turn the 'scope on, there is no display for
about five seconds, and then there is a click (relay, I presume) and
then I see a quick trace that starts in the middle of the CRT and drops
down and then off the right side of the CRT, then the diffuse spot.

Now its time to start looking at the manual and some voltages, I guess.

BTW, I was wrong, it's a Type B cart, not a Type 3.

Cheers,
DaveD
====

Bene's Mails

Set the Horizontal switch to one of the EXT modes, and try to get a spot on the screen, if you don’t get anyone, measue the differential voltage at the Horizontal Pins with the HORIZONTAL POSITION set on midrange. It should be around zero +- 1 or 2 Volts.
The Vertical and horizontal drift has nothing to say in this early time after powering the scope on, it is normal drifting when the tubes inside are heating up. But at first, you should replace the Delay-tube of the PSU-relay. If the trace has the same behavior after the right heat up time, so check at first the horizontal Channel and make sure, that it operates properly. When it does, you have a vertical problem and you should check for offset Voltages here too.

On 7/26/2014 9:55 PM, Cliff White cn.white@sunbelt-plb.com [TekScopes] wrote:
Same here. I only check when I think about it, which is usually every
month or two.

Actually, the story was kind of interesting. I think I'm probably the
only person for a two hour drive in any direction that even knows what a
547 really is. Normally "oscilloscope" returns zero local results. But
in this case, I think the buyer just wanted some kind of scope. The
seller said that the buyer was a guitar player, and knew nothing of
electronics. I sure hope he learns about it, and treats the 547 like the
special machine it really is! On the other hand, if/when his HV
transformer goes, he'll probably put it back on Craigslist, then I'll be
watching. ;)
Unless he is aware of how "special" the older Tektronix 'scopes are, he probably won't treat it any better or worse than any other tool. Unfortunately.

Yes, there were quite a few plugins (see
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Letter-series_and_1-series_plug-ins). But
there might not be a dozen that don't overlap features. Unless you count
some of the rare and little-use ones such as the transistor risetime
measuring plugin, or diode recovery time plugin, etc. Tek made some
weird ones!
You know, I've been looking at Kurt's Wiki for a very long time, and I never knew about the Visual Index pages. Anyway, that is a good place to see al of the plug-ins. Thanks.

Working on the 500s is fun. Do you have any others in the 500 series?
Nope. I have eleven other Tektronix 'scopes (not all are keepers); the earliest before the 574 is a 465. I do have a Hickock 1802 that was given to me - I think it is knockoff of the Tektronix 545. Somehow, though, it doesn't "count".

You probably don't need the HV probe unless (or until) you know there's
a problem with the HV -- just because problems are common doesn't mean
yours has it. If it is bad, Chuck Harris (member of the group, I think),
rewinds them with potting that doesn't have the same problem as the
original. I sure hope my 556 never goes... It has two transformers, and
they're packed in deep in the heart of that beast. I think the 547 is
somewhat easier to get to, but I don't know.
I've seen Chuck's postings, and mostly read them. They are very informative.

The transformer in the 547 looks pretty accessible. I took the sides off to see what's what. But since there is a spot, I am assuming for the moment that the HV is ok and that whatever is not working is elsewhere.

One thing I didn't see is a roll of solder; I thought all of the 500-series Tektronix 'scopes had a roll of special solder inside.

The first step is to get a manual, of course. I have a PDF, but I really need the real thing. Either an original (of which there are several on eBay), or one from Artek.

I did get a 1A4 this morning from eBay.

wrote:
Same here. I only check when I think about it, which is usually every
month or two.

Actually, the story was kind of interesting. I think I'm probably the
only person for a two hour drive in any direction that even knows what a
547 really is. Normally "oscilloscope" returns zero local results. But
in this case, I think the buyer just wanted some kind of scope. The
seller said that the buyer was a guitar player, and knew nothing of
electronics. I sure hope he learns about it, and treats the 547 like the
special machine it really is! On the other hand, if/when his HV
transformer goes, he'll probably put it back on Craigslist, then I'll be
watching. ;)
Unless he is aware of how "special" the older Tektronix 'scopes are, he
probably won't treat it any better or worse than any other tool.
Unfortunately.
Sadly...

Yes, there were quite a few plugins (see
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Letter-series_and_1-series_plug-ins). But
there might not be a dozen that don't overlap features. Unless you count
some of the rare and little-use ones such as the transistor risetime
measuring plugin, or diode recovery time plugin, etc. Tek made some
weird ones!
You know, I've been looking at Kurt's Wiki for a very long time, and I
never knew about the Visual Index pages. Anyway, that is a good place to
see al of the plug-ins. Thanks.

Working on the 500s is fun. Do you have any others in the 500 series?
Nope. I have eleven other Tektronix 'scopes (not all are keepers); the
earliest before the 574 is a 465. I do have a Hickock 1802 that was
given to me - I think it is knockoff of the Tektronix 545. Somehow,
though, it doesn't "count".
Eeeh... Yeah...

[...]

They all "did" when they left the factory. Most have been robbed of
their solder. Of the four I've had, none had any solder left. There will
be a note printed on the chassis somewhere about using silver solder;
the roll was supposed to be next to that note.

The first step is to get a manual, of course. I have a PDF, but I really
need the real thing. Either an original (of which there are several on
eBay), or one from Artek.
I think Artek just sells better pdfs, unless I'm mistaken.

I did get a 1A4 this morning from eBay.
Aha, so that was you. I was watching it (I've also been looking for
another 1A4), but that went a bit higher than I wanted to pay, I never
did bid on it.

On 7/27/2014 11:35 AM, Cliff White cn.white@sunbelt-plb.com [TekScopes] wrote:
One thing I didn't see is a roll of solder; I thought all of the
500-series Tektronix 'scopes had a roll of special solder inside.
They all "did" when they left the factory. Most have been robbed of
their solder. Of the four I've had, none had any solder left. There will
be a note printed on the chassis somewhere about using silver solder;
the roll was supposed to be next to that note.
Yes, I found it; it is quite obvious, as I expected. I just had to stare at things for a bit.

The first step is to get a manual, of course. I have a PDF, but I really
need the real thing. Either an original (of which there are several on
eBay), or one from Artek.
I think Artek just sells better pdfs, unless I'm mistaken.

I did get a 1A4 this morning from eBay.
Aha, so that was you. I was watching it (I've also been looking for
another 1A4), but that went a bit higher than I wanted to pay, I never
did bid on it.
For me, the higher cost was balanced by the low cost of the 'scope. Someone bid it up slightly towards the end of the auction.

I don't expect to want to buy a whole bunch of plug-ins like I have for my 7000-series 'scopes. But a 1A4 seems to be more useful than most for general-purpose work.

Dave Daniel

Yes, the relay activates after 38 seconds.

The "down" and "right" position lights are lighted; the "down" light
flickers synchronously with the sweep rate, as does the diffuse spot.
Some other observations:

- The focus and astigmatism controls do affect the brightness of the
diffuse spot.

- All the tubes appear to be lit.

- When I first turned it on, I had the cart position such that the
'scope front was elevated. I moved the position such that the 'scope was
level, and the fan sped up. For a few minutes, I could control the fan
speed by tilting the 'scope up and down, up for slow, down for fast.
After having done that, it appears that the fan now runs at a constant
(presumably, correct) speed. Something needs cleaning and/or
lubricating, I guess.

- After playing with the timebase and vertical amplifier settings, etc.,
I am pretty sure that the beam is being sent off to the right and below
the CRT screen (that makes sense because of how the trace acts briefly
when the relay kicks in and the position lights above the CRT).

- The Horizontal Position knob pots on the B timebase are loose. It
figures it'd be a control in the middle of the front panel that needs
tightening.

- There is solder flux on a few of the ceramic strip contacts. I'm
guessing that means that someone has been in there with a soldering iron
before me.

That's about as far as I'll go without a manual.

Thanks for troubleshooting advice.

DaveD

wrote:
[...]

The 1A4 is certainly the best general purpose plugin in the 500 series,
maybe ever. I presume you know about it's sweep switching effects in a 547?

Dave Daniel

On 7/27/2014 12:25 PM, Cliff White cn.white@sunbelt-plb.com [TekScopes] wrote:
The 1A4 is certainly the best general purpose plugin in the 500 series,
maybe ever. I presume you know about it's sweep switching effects in a 547?
No. I know very little about the 500-series instruments other than what I have read. I have a 1A2, a CA and an H plug-in. I know practically nothing about what can be done with what. I'll have to do a bunch of reading and experimenting. Which, of course, is the point.

Since I inadvertently started collecting Tektronix 'scopes, I have concentrated my mainly on the 7000-series instruments (and the TM-500/5000 instruments, but they are mostly not 'scopes).

DaveD

Morris Odell

I know you want to get the 547 going but first things first!. It's great
that no smoke escaped and there seems to be HV and sweep function when you
powered it up but that shouldn't encourage further experimentation until you
can resurrect it properly. My suggestions:

1. Get and read the manual
2. Clean the filter and lubricate the motor
3. Check the areas where you have seen flux on the tagstrips to check what's
there and makes sure there are no deviations from what should be there
4. Replace the time delay relay if it really was pulling in after only 5
seconds
5. Make sure you have a plugin installed
6. Attach several voltmeters, if you have them, to the power supply test
points and make sure the voltages are correct. The negative supply is the
reference for the whole scope so start from there. There's no point going
any further until the power supplies are OK

Once that's done, let us know how you're going with it.

The 547/1A4 is a great combination, I use mine all the time. You will really
enjoy it once it's restored properly!

Good luck,

Morris

Dave Wise

The 547 CRT circuit runs the beam at full throttle during the power-on transient. Nobody wanted it to do that, it's just a consequence of the design. Apparently, it wasn't easy to prevent, because instead, there's a small axial-lead electrolytic cap in the horizontal amp whose purpose is to yank the beam off-screen. As it charges, the beam comes back. If it's leaky or shorted, the trace will stay off-screen.

HTH,
Dave Wise

I've wanted a 547 for a while now. I don't see them very often, and I've
never seen one located close enough to go and pick it up. A random
search for "Tektronix" on the local Craigslist disrupted my Saturday.
But it was worth it.

Looks like I get a beam and a diffuse spot, but no vertical or
horizontal control. Whe I turn the 'scope on, there is no display for
about five seconds, and then there is a click (relay, I presume) and
then I see a quick trace that starts in the middle of the CRT and drops
down and then off the right side of the CRT, then the diffuse spot.

Now its time to start looking at the manual and some voltages, I guess.

BTW, I was wrong, it's a Type B cart, not a Type 3.

Cheers,
DaveD

Albert Otten

Not yet in the early S/N. The cap was added at S/N 5680.
Albert

====
The 547 CRT circuit runs the beam at full throttle during the power-on transient. Nobody wanted it to do that, it's just a consequence of the design. Apparently, it wasn't easy to prevent, because instead, there's a small axial-lead electrolytic cap in the horizontal amp whose purpose is to yank the beam off-screen. As it charges, the beam comes back. If it's leaky or shorted, the trace will stay off-screen.

HTH,
Dave Wise
====

Dave Daniel

Thanks. That's mostly what I plan to do (once I get the manual that I
ordered).

It looks like there is a switch that is closed when the plug-in is
installed. I had assumed that was some sort of circuit safety device to
prevent some sort of bad thing(s) to happen if the 'scope is powered up
without a plug-in installed (RTFM will answer a lot o these questions, I
know). The switch is stuck in the "installed" position. I hope nothing
bad happened if a PO powered it on without a plug-in....

BTW, I wouldn't have just plugged it in and turned it on if the PO
hadn't had it powered before I arrived to pick it up.

Dave