Tektronix 466 restoration (I)

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) <eb5agv@...>

Hello!

I have spent some time on my transport damaged 466. I have been able to
unbent front panel and potentiometer shafts, repair damaged potentiometers
(which were pushed in by the pressure on their respective controls,
breaking and bending pins), repair CH1 ATTENUATOR shaft by swapping its
shaft with one from a 7A18 parts unit; as the plastic parts which move the
cam cylinder where different I used heat to separate damaged shaft from the
plastic piece and then put the 7A18 metal shaft on it. Craftmanship at its
best ;-)!

I had removed the front panel external aluminum sheet and also the thicker
aluminum piece just below it, as both where damaged. With some patience and
a careful work, both are now straight and fitted nicely.

So, except for the missing knobs, my 466 looks good again... after 'only'
about a dozen working hours... UPS rules :-(!

Well, then it came the moment to check it. I knew it just 'did not power
up' so I was not expecting a working unit. I did a preliminary check on
power supplies and, apparently, there was not a big fault (as shorcircuited
caps or rectifier bridges). So I applied power... and nothing happened. I
found that the main fuse was gone (I don't know if it was already gone when
I got the unit but suspect it). I put another one, just in case, and it
lasted some microseconds. It seems there is a power supply fault which
kills the fuse instantaneusly.

I have not yet a 466 manual so I am more than interested in getting an
scanned power supply schematic for it and also the page where the power
supply troubleshooting is depicted. Any taker?

As a curiosity, I have fixed about ten oscilloscopes but this is the first
one which just breaks the fuse so it is a new fault type for me.

Comments welcomed!

Regards,

JOSE

Pete Symons <pete.symons@...>

Hi,

I've had a very similar situation to yourself. However, my Tek 466 only
suffered damage to both trigger level pots and one knob assemby. Any idea
where I can get spares of these?

Thanks in advance,

Pete