Topics

Tekprobe 1103 PSU mod. advice

Hi all:
I am considering a project create a more convenient '1103' Tekprobe capability for augmenting common O'scopes compatibility with the Tekprobe BNC interface.
My idea is to make compact individual TekProbe adapters to directly attach to the BNC Probe inputs on O'scopes with no BNC cabling which degrade probe performance with the stock 1103.
Given the common USB interface on modern O' scopes, I hope to use that as the DC power supply to create the required +/-15V & +/- 5V required. An RJ45 cable can carry the power from the USB boost SMPS supply to the new Tekprobe BNC adapter. In this way the PSU SMPS 'noise' is isolated from the O'scopes BNC input and can be managed by common mode chokes if required, while the twisted pair should carry the clean power to the TekProbe adapters.
For older 'pre-USB' scopes, a ubiquitous 5V 'phone' power bank offers convenient power.

So final outcomes are...convenient single BNC Tekprobe adapters not requiring a Mains AC supply while offering improved signal fidelity/bandwidth and a voltage ref. back light LED on each O'scope BNC adapter to validate the precision voltage power function.

I have not included the '1103' offset voltage option due to size issues. It might be possible but do you guys feel it is necessary?
Given the retail of the 1103's seem to range from $150 thru $450 USD these days, I feel a compact $50 option is possible, with the benefit of improved performance and V.reg.

Penny for your thoughts.....

Mark Litwack

Hi Ancel,

Ok, a couple of pennies... Here's a project that's similar to what you're considering. Maybe you can use it as a starter:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/circuit-studio/example-project-tektronix-tekprobe-adapterbreakout/msg1201386/#msg1201386

There's also this one, which has more of the power supply design you mention, but it doesn't mount to the scope's BNC:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tektronix-tekprobe-power-supply-for-agilent-rigol-and-other-oscilloscopes/msg624284/#msg624284

-mark

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 09:59 AM, Ancel wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark..
Thank you for the links. Seems those threads have gone quiet. It might mean that the developers had no plans to offer a commercial outcome, but they supported open sourcing, or demand isn't there.
You're correct in that my concept appears to be a hybrid of the two links. USB powered plus direct cable free installation. Seems Probe Offset voltage adj. is not an in demand feature which answers one of my constraint concerns adequately.
The build in the first link is remarkably close to my physical concept, leveraging the proven laser cut acrylic approach to sandwich the PCB as I did with the SG 504 leveling head since 2016.

Well...it's still a back burner item for now.
thanks again.
~A