Tek VAR Pot Repair Rings

Jim Adney

I'm starting a new thread for these, in the hope that others will see this and respond. I've proposed getting 150 of these "Adney Rings" made by a local machine shop. I have to buy that many in order to get the price down to where I can resell them for $5 each, plus postage. These rings repair Tek-made VAR pots where the set screw attachment to the 1/16" shaft has cracked and no longer holds onto the shaft. This failure seems to be fairly common in the plugins where these pots were used. It appears that they were used in Letter Series, 1-Series, 2-Series, 70-Series, and 3-Series plugins. I'd love to hear that they were also used in later plugins. Please comment if you have corrections or additions. There's photos here, in case you don't remember what I'm talking about:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/262268/3196738

Future Adney Rings will come with slightly shorter SST set screws, which may be easier to install and less likely to snag nearby wiring.

So far I have the following commitments to buy "Adney" rings:

J. D.: 10 rings, $5 x 10 + $8 shipping = $58

D. W.: 10 rings, $5 x 10 + $8 shipping = $58

S. M.: 20 rings, $5 x 20 + $8 shipping = $108

M. V.: 10 rings, $5 x 10 + $8 shipping = $58

I'd be happy to hold on to 20 more, which is more than I'll ever use, so that brings us up to a total of 70 rings. Unfortunately, that's still less than half the preorders I need to get my cost down to the point where I can add the SST set screw and sell them for $5 each. That means that they will have to cost much more than $5 each, or other people need to step up and commit to some now, rather than waiting until later. Note that if I decide to hold on to a bunch of these myself, in order to keep the price down now, the future price is sure to go up.

Anyone else out there willing to raise their hand now? As Jeff said, "best to have and not need than to need and not have."

FYI, the machine shop quote I have has expired. I'm assuming they will stick to it for longer than the original time, but that's not assured. No one is committed until all my ducks are in a row. I'll let everyone know if/when this happens.

thanks for reading,

snapdiode <snapdiode@...>

That is very interesting and timely for my collection. What's the timeframe for getting back to you with a commitment? I need to examine 20 plugins ... And do you need a deposit or 100% upfront?

Dave Casey

For anyone needing more than just a repair ring, I have a handful of NOS
Tek Made pots in this style. Send your part number requests and I'll see
what I have.

Dave Casey

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 1:55 PM snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

That is *very* interesting and timely for my collection. What's the
timeframe for getting back to you with a commitment? I need to examine 20
plugins ...
And do you need a deposit or 100% upfront?

Jim,

After I committed to only 10 rings, I did a more thorough survey of my letter and 1-series collection, and I would like to increase my order to 20 rings.

Almost every plug-in in my collection has these pots, but I had not noticed because many of them are not showing any symptoms of failure, and I had (obviously) not investigated pots whose knobs were not slipping.

-- Jeff Dutky

Jim Adney

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 01:55 PM, snapdiode wrote:

What's the timeframe for getting back to you with a commitment?
I don't have any timeframe in mind, but the machine shop predicted a lead time of 5-6 weeks. They must be busy. I don't plan to place an order for these until I've got enough commitments to get me close to 150 pieces. I won't ask for prepayment, but I won't object if someone offers to make one. Take your time, but I hope this doesn't get dragged out too long.

Jim Adney

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 07:30 PM, Dave Casey wrote:

For anyone needing more than just a repair ring, I have a handful of NOS
Tek Made pots in this style. Send your part number requests and I'll see
what I have.
That's a very generous offer and one that we should all keep in mind. I will add, however, that even a new pot may fail in this same way. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the Tek assembly techs knew exactly how tight they could tighten these, but many of us, or previous owners, may have tightened them just a bit too hard. And then there's shrinkage and embrittlement over time, which may be the cause of failure.

If I ever have cause to touch one of these pots, I'd be tempted to add one of the rings, just to avoid future disappointment.