cheers

Martin

toby@...

On 2020-10-27 12:23 p.m., Martin wrote:
Hi all,

I got hold of an R453 scope, the rack version of the "transportable" 453. It seems to work as it should, exept for the fan. And one or two rocker-switch-buttons missing.

It seems a bit ironic to make a rack version of a portable scope... the side panel with the calibrator is moved to the front panel of the rackmount. It all looks 100% Tektronix made, including the rack sliders! Why did Tektronix do that? The rack version was a good deal more expensive, and when you do not need to move it you could have installed any scope. I don't know when the rack was build, maybe early 70ies. The serial number is 30.000+, and there is a HP8006A word generator in the rack, too.
Nice. I own an IBM OEM 453. Is the rack one IBM branded too?

--Toby

cheers

Martin

Hi Toby,

no, its Tektronix branded. Can't find any mention of IBM, but there is a sticker "Rohde & Schwarz Verbriebs-GmbH" on it.

cheers
Martin

greenboxmaven

The rack mount versions are genuine Tektronix, although there are no doubt homebrew versions as well. They were used mainly as a part of a larger system or for consoles or test equipment racks. The Air Force used many of them to replace the older RM561 series.

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 10/27/20 1:49 PM, Martin wrote:
Hi Toby,

no, its Tektronix branded. Can't find any mention of IBM, but there is a sticker "Rohde & Schwarz Verbriebs-GmbH" on it.

cheers
Martin

This one came from a military testing device, indeed.
Besides the scope and the word generator there have been 3 or 4 very spezialized units inside.

cheers
Martin

Colin Herbert

You may have misinterpreted Toby's question. The "IBM" label would have been just above the top right corner of the crt screen - no suggestion that IBM made the scope. IBM specified various features to Tektronix about this 453 design and most of the scopes were purchased by IBM, but there were some that didn't have the "IBM" label on them. (Mine had it, but it has been obliterated, as it sometimes was, to stop potential second-hand buyers thinking that they were buying a scope stolen from IBM).

Perhaps you could post some pictures of this scope? I can't think of a reason why Rohde & Schwarz would be on it, didn't they make scopes themselves?

Colin.

Rohde-and-Schwarz at groups.io

Cheers,
Lyle
--
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 14:26:12 -0400
"greenboxmaven via groups.io" <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

73 NM6Y
Bickley Consulting West
https://bickleywest.com

Jim Ford

ISTR that IBM commissioned the 453 for its field service engineers, specifying that it had to fit under a standard airline seat.  My first personal scope was a 453B, since sold to a friend.I've not seen old R&S scopes, just ones from the last 5 years or so, when they jumped into the scope market.  Doesn't mean they don't exist.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "greenboxmaven via groups.io" <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> Date: 10/27/20 11:26 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek R453 - a rack version of a portable scope! In the Central and Hudson valley parts of New York, Tektronix scopes ( and other leading brands as well ) with IBM, General Electric, and other company labels were abundant at hamfests.  If the presence of the label ever discouraged someone from buying one at a hamfest or tag sale, I am not aware of it. The label almost always indicated special features.  To move a bit off topic- I am interested in Rohde & Schwarz equipment, and would like to make contact with other collectors. They did indeed make scopes, but as far as I have been able to determine, most were parts of larger systems or ensembles. One example I have has a meter that indicates the signal level coming in, sort of a mashup of a scope and VTVM.  A Tektronix would certainly be up to their standards, so buying and incorporating one into  their systems instead of tooling up to build a small number themselves would be plausable.       Bruce Gentry, KA2IVYOn 10/27/20 2:04 PM, Colin Herbert via groups.io wrote:> You may have misinterpreted Toby's question. The "IBM" label would have been just above the top right corner of the crt screen - no suggestion that IBM made the scope. IBM specified  various features to Tektronix about this 453 design and most of the scopes were purchased by IBM, but there were some that didn't have the "IBM" label on them. (Mine had it, but it has been obliterated, as it sometimes was, to stop potential second-hand buyers thinking that they were buying a scope stolen from IBM).>> Perhaps you could post some pictures of this scope? I can't think of a reason why Rohde & Schwarz would be on it, didn't they make scopes themselves?>> Colin.>> -----Original Message-----> From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Martin> Sent: 27 October 2020 17:50> To: TekScopes@groups.io> Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek R453 - a rack version of a portable scope!>> Hi Toby,>> no, its Tektronix branded. Can't find any mention of IBM, but there is a sticker "Rohde & Schwarz Verbriebs-GmbH" on it.>> cheers> Martin>>>>>>>>> >>>

Tom Lee

Your mention of a 453B is the first I’ve heard of. I’m familiar with the 453A, but I thought that was the end of the 453 line. Could you say a bit more about the 453B?

Thanks!

Tom

Sent from my iThing, so please forgive brevity and typos

On Oct 27, 2020, at 12:10, Jim Ford <james.ford@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh, it must have been an A.  I sold it 18 years ago.   60 MHz BW, as opposed to the 50 MHz of the 453.  I get confused because Tek started their prod lines with no letter, and HP started with A.JimSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Tom Lee <tomlee@...> Date: 10/27/20 1:09 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek R453 - a rack version of a portable scope! Your mention of a 453B is the first I’ve heard of. I’m familiar with the 453A, but I thought that was the end of the 453 line. Could you say a bit more about the 453B?Thanks!TomSent from my iThing, so please forgive brevity and typos> On Oct 27, 2020, at 12:10, Jim Ford <james.ford@...> wrote:> > ISTR that IBM commissioned the 453 for its field service engineers, specifying that it had to fit under a standard airline seat.  My first personal scope was a 453B, since sold to a friend.I've not seen old R&S scopes, just ones from the last 5 years or so, when they jumped into the scope market.  Doesn't mean they don't exist.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone> -------- Original message --------From: "greenboxmaven via groups.io" <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> Date: 10/27/20  11:26 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek R453 - a rack version of a portable scope! In the Central and Hudson valley parts of New York, Tektronix scopes ( and other leading brands as well ) with IBM, General Electric, and other company labels were abundant at hamfests.  If the presence of the label ever discouraged someone from buying one at a hamfest or tag sale, I am not aware of it. The label almost always indicated special features.  To move a bit off topic- I am interested in Rohde & Schwarz equipment, and would like to make contact with other collectors. They did indeed make scopes, but as far as I have been able to determine, most were parts of larger systems or ensembles. One example I have has a meter that indicates the signal level coming in, sort of a mashup of a scope and VTVM.  A Tektronix would certainly be up to their standards, so buying and incorporating one into  their systems instead of tooling up to build a small number themselves would be plausable.       Bruce Gentry, KA2IVYOn 10/27/20 2:04 PM, Colin Herbert via groups.io wrote:> You may have misinterpreted Toby's question. The "IBM" label would have been just above the top right corner of the crt screen - no suggestion that IBM made the scope. IBM specified  various features to Tektronix about this 453 design and most of the scopes were purchased by IBM, but there were some that didn't have the "IBM" label on them. (Mine had it, but it has been obliterated, as it sometimes was, to stop potential second-hand buyers thinking that they were buying a scope stolen from IBM).>> Perhaps you could post some pictures of this scope? I can't think of a reason why Rohde & Schwarz would be on it, didn't they make scopes themselves?>> Colin.>> -----Original Message-----> From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Martin> Sent: 27 October 2020 17:50> To: TekScopes@groups.io> Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek R453 - a rack version of a portable scope!>> Hi Toby,>> no, its Tektronix branded. Can't find any mention of IBM, but there is a sticker "Rohde & Schwarz Verbriebs-GmbH" on it.>> cheers> Martin>>>>>>>>> >>>> > > >

So here's my R453 in the photos section. Enjoy... ;-)

cheers
Martin

Tom Lee

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Jim.

Cheers

On Oct 27, 2020, at 13:37, Jim Ford <james.ford@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael A. Terrell

I have a 453A that was built for Telex. At one time, they built IBM
compatible computer terminals, and their field engineers carried these. It
came from the Orlando office when it closed, over 30 years ago. I used it
for years to repair computers to the component level.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 2:04 PM Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=
blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Heinz Breuer

Rohde & Schwarz Vertriebs GmbH („Vertriebs“ means „Distribution“) was a R&S subsidiary that handled Tektronix sales in Germany before Tektronix established its own sales office in Cologne.

I have seen Rohde & Schwarz Vertiebs GmbH stickers on the 500 series scopes probably sold in the 1960s.

Regards
Heinz DH2FA, KM5VT

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Dale H. Cook

On 10/27/2020 1:17 PM, Toby wrote:

Nice. I own an IBM OEM 453. Is the rack one IBM branded too?

IBM had no need for a rack mounted 453. The 453 was developed by Tektronix specifically for IBM. The computer manufacturer needed something for field use that was not previously available - a compact full-featured lab-grade 'scope that would fit under an airline seat.
--
Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

Dave Wise

I've always believed the 453 Product Requirements went something like "cram a 547 under an airplane seat". They got as close as they could.

Dave Wise
> Nice. I own an IBM OEM 453. Is the rack one IBM branded too?

IBM had no need for a rack mounted 453. The 453 was developed by
Tektronix specifically for IBM. The computer manufacturer needed
something for field use that was not previously available - a compact
full-featured lab-grade 'scope that would fit under an airline seat.
--
Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

Hi Dave,
It was a requirement of IBM that the oscilloscope they wanted be small
enough for their field engineers to take it with them on a plane rather than
check it in as baggage where it could be easily damaged.
Today airplanes are designed so seating arrangements can be easily changed
to meet the needs of the airline. Often that means maximizing profits by
cramming in as many passengers as possible which leaves them little or no
room.
In 1966 airplane travelers had a lot more room under the seat in front of
them where their feet would normally go. Presumably the IBM field engineer
would rest his feet on top of the 453 during the flight.
When I bought my 453 in 1968 I was a junior in college and I couldn't afford
to travel by plane anywhere. 10 years later I sold it for $2,000, the same
price I paid for it in 1968, to a company I worked for in Arlington,
Virginia so I must have taken it on a plane from NYC to Washington, DC but I
don't remember if I put it under the seat or not.
It would be interesting to hear from any TekScopes members what it was like
to take a 453 or 454 onto a plane with them back then when this was still
possible to do.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

I've always believed the 453 Product Requirements went something like "cram
a 547 under an airplane seat". They got as close as they could.

Dave Wise
> Nice. I own an IBM OEM 453. Is the rack one IBM branded too?

IBM had no need for a rack mounted 453. The 453 was developed by Tektronix
specifically for IBM. The computer manufacturer needed something for field
use that was not previously available - a compact full-featured lab-grade
'scope that would fit under an airline seat.
--
Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Chuck Harris

I used to take my brand new 2465 on a lot of plane flights
as carry-on luggage. Typically I carried my attache case tool
kit (stuffed to the gills) and my scope. The tool kit went in
the overhead, and the scope was nestled under the seat in front
of me. I put a cardboard sleeve around the scope to protect it
from getting bunged up. It was brand new, and it was mine. I
probably wouldn't have if it had belonged to an employer.

Today, I would never be able to carry either on a plane. TSA
simply won't allow you to carry tools.

The last time I carried my tool kit, the airline screener (pre TSA)
wanted to see what was in this case that caught her eye on the
x-ray scanner. She saw my little OK Tools spring actuated solder
sucker and wanted to know what it was. So, I grabbed it, cocked
it, and pressed the button. She about jumped out of her socks!

Chuck had a lot of 'splaining to do to a lot of folks with guns.

They made me take the solder sucker apart, and explain what it does,
and they made a lot of drug jokes about the pair of hemostats I
always carried in my kit... They didn't have a thing to say about
my box cutter, or Swiss Army knife...

Good times...

-Chuck Harris