Topics

Tek Prototype?

Phillip Potter

I was just gifted a Tek device and have almost no idea what it could be. I have posted a few pictures of it (along with a gifted 310) linked here:

If you'd be willing to look at this and tell me what it is, I would appreciate your doing so. Thank you.

I plan to post better pics shortly, and when I do I will repost the link.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Phil, N6OMM

Bob Albert

It's got a microphone input and an SO-239 in front, probably an output.  Several power tubes so it looks like a signal generator of high power or a transmitter/exciter.  Modulated but maybe AM or SSB.  Is there a frequency determining element, such as a crystal?  Smacks of ham radio.
Bob K6DDX

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM, Bob Albert wrote:

Is there a frequency determining element, such as a crystal?  Smacks of ham
radio.
I see at least three empty quartz crystal sockets and one 27.2 MHz quartz crystal ("Channel 272")

Raymond

Bob Albert

Channel 272 may not refer directly to frequency.  So it's crystal controlled.  It is very likely for the HF range.  If it is indeed 27.2 MHz perhaps that's a local oscillator frequency.
Bob

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 04:02:06 PM PST, Raymond Domp Frank <hewpatek@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM, Bob Albert wrote:

Is there a frequency determining element, such as a crystal?  Smacks of ham
radio.
I see at least three empty quartz crystal sockets and one 27.2 MHz quartz crystal ("Channel 272")

Raymond

Phillip Potter

Isn't 27Mhz Citizens Band?\

Phil

On 12/23/2020 4:01 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM, Bob Albert wrote:

Is there a frequency determining element, such as a crystal?  Smacks of ham
radio.
I see at least three empty quartz crystal sockets and one 27.2 MHz quartz crystal ("Channel 272")

Raymond

Bob Albert

That is the range but there is no channel at just 27.2 MHz.  All channels are at 5 kHz points, such as 27.255.

On Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 04:08:06 PM PST, Phillip Potter <p.potter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Isn't 27Mhz Citizens Band?\

Phil

On 12/23/2020 4:01 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM, Bob Albert wrote:

Is there a frequency determining element, such as a crystal?  Smacks of ham
radio.
I see at least three empty quartz crystal sockets and one 27.2 MHz quartz crystal ("Channel 272")

Raymond

John Gord

The crystal in the unit is an FT-242 "channel" crystal. Those had a strange flex-mode crystal resonator (not the usual shear-mode). I think the 3-digit channel crystals had a fundamental frequency equal to the marked frequency divided by 72, or in this case 27.2MHz/72= 377.778kHz.
--John Gord

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 03:42 PM, Phillip Potter wrote:

I was just gifted a Tek device and have almost no idea what it could be. I
have posted a few pictures of it (along with a gifted 310) linked here:

If you'd be willing to look at this and tell me what it is, I would appreciate
your doing so. Thank you.

I plan to post better pics shortly, and when I do I will repost the link.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Phil, N6OMM

John Gord

Oops,
FT-241
--John Gord

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 04:58 PM, John Gord wrote:

The crystal in the unit is an FT-242 "channel" crystal. Those had a strange
flex-mode crystal resonator (not the usual shear-mode). I think the 3-digit
channel crystals had a fundamental frequency equal to the marked frequency
divided by 72, or in this case 27.2MHz/72= 377.778kHz.
--John Gord

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 03:42 PM, Phillip Potter wrote:

I was just gifted a Tek device and have almost no idea what it could be. I
have posted a few pictures of it (along with a gifted 310) linked here:

If you'd be willing to look at this and tell me what it is, I would
appreciate
your doing so. Thank you.

I plan to post better pics shortly, and when I do I will repost the link.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Phil, N6OMM

Ed Breya

I'd guess it was just some Tek employee's ham radio project. Equipment cabinets and chassis make good platforms for projects. An insider would have had access to blank, unused end plates, mechanical parts, and same vintage ceramic strips and components. There's not much point in using it for anything but the same - a cabinet, possibly a usable power supply or transformer, and some of the parts, depending on possible project needs. The rest is junk, or maybe all of it is junk, if you don't need a project box or parts. I always save old carcass boxes that can be resurrected for other uses.

Even if it was an actual Tek-built prototype or in-house equipment for something, there's no use for it anyway.

Ed