Topics

Tek plugin: PTB-100 Rb Freq. Standard, Precision Time Base, Ball Efratom

garp66

Anyone have a manual for this Tek plugin (Ball Efratom) ?
or
Experience limitations using it ?

PTB-100 Precision Time Base
Ball Efratom Rb frequency Standard.

thank you,

Ed Breya

I've junked out three of those over the years. Of course I saved the Rb units and other goodies. I recall that each of the plug-ins was slightly different - one included a synthesizer block making 96 MHz, referenced to the Rb 5 MHz, and the others just had the 5 MHz amplifier, but were also different from each other. I never found any info on the plug-ins, or the Rb unit, but it is similar to the M-100, which has documentation floating around.

I didn't want to fool around with TM500 dependence for these, and didn't need the other apparent and unknown functions of the rather complicated PS and support boards inside. If you want to use it in a TM500 as-is, it should fire up just fine. If you yank the Rb, you can run it from +28VDC (I think 24-32 is the range) all by itself.

Ed

garp66

hi Ed,
Did you take any *photos* &/or *notes* of the 3 different PTB-100 Efratom devices that you had ?
If so, I am hoping you might deposit this information on the TekWiki for our edification.

I have a PTB-100 but have no clue what the differences might be for the different versions,
- Or/& if some modifications could make my unit have better performance ?

I would like to know more about this unit !
I do have the M-100 docs, but would like to have the .pdf's of the Tek docs.

thank you,
rick

stevenhorii

One thing to consider - Ball-Efratom made a series of standard models of
their rubidium standards. It is likely that one of these is used in the
PTB-100. If you have one in which the rubidium standard has failed, you can
likely find a replacement used one on eBay. Just make sure of what options
it might have and whether or not the connector pinout is standard for
Efratom and was not customized in some way for the PTB-100.