From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris J via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 12:17 PM
To: tekscopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Tek 7934

Hello Group,

I am interested in getting my hand on a 7934. I have a 7S12 TDR/SAMPLER with the S-6 Sampling Head and the S-52 Pulse Generator Head, in beautiful condition. I would really love to put her in use and also build up a 7934 with some nice plug-ins. Any thoughts on where I may find a reasonable priced unit? This would be an great addition to my home lab. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Chris
https://juriedengineering.com/

FCC Licensed RF Coordinator
Audio Engineering Society (AES) Member

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify me at (954) 478-4355 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Tom Lee

If you are not absolutely determined to use a 7934 with those plug-ins, there are many other options. A 7704 would work just fine with those PIs, for example, and can often be found for free (or nearly so).

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 10/20/2020 12:17, Chris J via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Sergey Kubushyn

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020, Tom Lee wrote:

There is a HUGE difference -- 7934 is a 500MHz _STORAGE_ scope, the best
they ever made. It is rare as hens' teeth and it worth its price.

However it might be not worth hunting for 7934. 400MHz 7834 is exactly same,
just a bit slower. Everything else is same including the crown jewel,
variable persistence. Those are much easier to get in good working condition
(still require extensive refurbishing because of old age but that is true
for everything of that vintage) and significantly cheaper.

I was unsuccessfully hunting for 7934 myself for a couple of years but then
gave up and now I have two nice working 7834 scopes. Also have two 7104 ones
that are also finest ones ever made with their microchannel CRT and 1GHz
real time bandwidth (that extends significantly beyond that if one is not
lazy to spend time on fine-tuning) but those are not replacement for a
storage scope like 7834.

There is also dual-beam 7844 that is also nice to have -- I also have two of
those :)

[...]

---
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
* Las Vegas NV, USA < > Miracles require 24-hour notice. *

Chris J

Hi Tom,

Actually, I am certainly open to a 7704, if I can find one in respectable condition. Thanks for the tip.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 09:04:38 PM EDT, Tom Lee <tomlee@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris,

Where are you located? I randomly come across some around here.

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 10/20/2020 18:35, Chris J via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I am well aware of the difference. The nature of my question had to do with what the /poster /wanted.

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

I was doing some comparison research here, http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/7000-series_scopes and am really qute intrigued. There are so many fantastic options. I would love to use the Mainframe with the TDR plugins along with some high bandwidth oscilloscope and spectrum analyser plugins. Where to get the stuff in Fort Lauderdale, FL is the question.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 09:35:30 PM EDT, Sergey Kubushyn <@KSI> wrote:

[...]

I am in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 09:42:57 PM EDT, Tom Lee <tomlee@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom,

I would also be looking for associated plugins for the mainframe. Ultimately it we be amazing to have the ability to use the TDR and add scope modules with associated timebase, a spectrum analyzer and curve tracer plugin. Sure I would have to do it over time as these plugins pop up, but it would be a great setup for my hobby bench.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 03:45 AM, Chris J wrote:

I would love to use the Mainframe with the TDR plugins along with some high
bandwidth oscilloscope and spectrum analyser plugins.
As an alternative, a 7904 might be a good idea, since that is one of the high-BW mainframes in the 7000-series. Its bandwidth is 500 MHz as opposed to the 7704's 150 MHz. They're pretty common so their price is usually low. The only faster mainframe in the series is the 1 GHz 7104.

The only reason you'd appreciate a storage 'scope with a spectrum analyzer (SA) plugin would be if your SA has no internal storage, like a 7L12 or a 7L13. The other, more advanced SA's all have internal storage (display memory), like the 7L14, 7L18 and the low-frequency 7L5.

Raymond

Tom Lee

Ah yes, so many options. Collect the entire set of plug-ins! Spouses love them, too. I am very fond of the 7000 series. I'd always lusted after the 7104 in particular (1GHz of pure analog goodness), after seeing one in college and learning about the MCP crt -- a miraculous device. The lab manager didn't allow riff-raff like us undergrads to touch it. I think the catalog price for that scope with its plug-ins exceeded $30k, so I don't blame him.

My first 7000 was a 7904. One of the plug-ins had a problem with the on-screen display showing alien hieroglyphs. "Must be a bad character ROM". Looked at the documentation and saw that there was no ROM, at least not a digital ROM. Tweaking a couple of /pots /fixed it. I wondered what evil genius could have conceived of such a thing. It turned out to be none other than Barrie Gilbert (who sadly passed away early this year). I feel lucky to have gotten to know him. I wish I'd recorded his impromptu lecture about that character generator when I told him my story about encountering it. He explained how it had led to his miraculous sine shaper, which then turned into a pure-analog trigonometric function chip (computes every trig function -- hyperbolic ones, included -- /and /their inverses). Brilliant.

--Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 04:03 AM, Tom Lee wrote:

I'd always lusted after the 7104 in particular (1GHz of pure analog goodness),
after seeing one in college and learning about the MCP crt -- a miraculous
device. The lab manager didn't allow riff-raff like us undergrads to touch it.
I think the catalog price for that scope with its plug-ins exceeded $30k, so I
don't blame him.
My 7104 has been kept in the dark, hidden from view at a research lab, only to be lent out when needed, and it shows.
It's in like new condition and guess where I keep it?

Raymond

Chris J

Tom,

What are you using for your 70 GHz work at Stanford? Rohde and Schwarz is the only game in town or are there other players?

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 10:03:59 PM EDT, Tom Lee <tomlee@...> wrote:

[...]

Raymond,

My first scope was a 2215, which I still have today. I have since then added and 2465B which I refurbished and use on a daily basis. I also recently acquired a 2221A and 2445 which I have rebuilt the PSU's on. Have also love my Tek!

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 10:09:13 PM EDT, Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 04:03 AM, Tom Lee wrote:

I'd always lusted after the 7104 in particular (1GHz of pure analog goodness),
after seeing one in college and learning about the MCP crt -- a miraculous
device. The lab manager didn't allow riff-raff like us undergrads to touch it.
I think the catalog price for that scope with its plug-ins exceeded $30k, so I
don't blame him.
My 7104 has been kept in the dark, hidden from view at a research lab, only to be lent out when needed, and it shows.
It's in like new condition and guess where I keep it?

Raymond

Chris J

type fix... Have always loved my Tek!

[...]

Keysight actually has VNA (ok, PNA; to me it's always going to be VNA) options that go to 1.5THz, which is pretty amazing. I do not have that setup, as much as I wish I did. I haven't checked recently to see what R&S or Anritsu have these days, but I know that as of a few years ago, both had offerings beyond 100GHz. I've got an E8361A, which tops out at 67GHz. It's an older model (obsolete, by Keysight's official declaration), but it's served my students well. I may have to upgrade soon, though, as one of my students has her heart set on working at 220GHz for some radar idea she has.

--Cheers,
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205

On 10/20/2020 19:13, Chris J via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I hear you Up to 1.1 THz with the Millimeter wave converter. Amazing!

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/products/test-and-measurement/network-analyzers/high-end-network-analyzers_229190.html

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 10:40:04 PM EDT, Tom Lee <tomlee@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Cotton

I have two 7904 frames and two 7904a frames looking for new homes located in Kalamazoo, MI.  One of the 7904a has no trace, the others worked when last used.  Appropriate time bases and vertical modules are available too also a flexible extender for service.  Are you anywhere close?
I hate to ship them since the CRTs get trashed in shipping frequently.  Local pickup.
Jim, n8qoh
On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 10:49 PM, Chris J via groups.io<cjuried=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote: I hear you Up to 1.1 THz with the Millimeter wave converter. Amazing!