Tek 6R1 used in the real world

snapdiode

In this video I saw a quick glimpse of a 567 with a 6R1 built right into a PDP-4 computer.

https://youtu.be/sPU8-fkaRWc?t=530

That's pretty cool.

Tim Phillips

Also a quick glimpse of a Tek 5000 rack-mount scope with an orange CRT
filter. P7 phosphor option ? (~9:23)

I've always been interested in the 'synergy' between Tek & DEC - the
automated microprocessor test rigs were using PDPs and VAXes.
Nor to forget the famous 'upside-down' 560 scope on the Linc-8.

Tim

On Wed, 22 Sept 2021 at 13:28, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

In this video I saw a quick glimpse of a 567 with a 6R1 built right into a
PDP-4 computer.

https://youtu.be/sPU8-fkaRWc?t=530

That's pretty cool.

magnustoelle

Good day,
wow, I am impressed you have spotted that, Tim.
Thanks for the reference to that video; it surely is a fascinating story.
Cheers,
Magnus

Also a quick glimpse of a Tek 5000 rack-mount scope with an orange CRT
filter. P7 phosphor option ? (~9:23)

I've always been interested in the 'synergy' between Tek & DEC - the
automated microprocessor test rigs were using PDPs and VAXes.
Nor to forget the famous 'upside-down'  560 scope on the Linc-8.

Tim

snapdiode

Anyone know where I can buy a PDP-4 to complement my 567?

Tim Phillips

Or a PDP-11 for your 7704A / P7001 combo :-)

Tim

On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 18:59, snapdiode via groups.io <snapdiode=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone know where I can buy a PDP-4 to complement my 567?

stevenhorii

I've got a militarized PDP-11/34 (called a PDP-11/34M) and built by Norden
Systems under license from DEC. It's in two ATR-type avionics boxes. It has
core memory modules in it (2 x 16K I think). It was some sort of test
system since it has a 60Hz fan rather than a 400Hz one (or a multifrequency
one). It powered up when I plugged it in. There's no front panel, just a
single hand-held thing that has a "run" and "halt" light. I have all the
schematics for it - a pretty large stack of paper plus the various cables.

If any of you remember B&F Enterprises - the surplus dealers - I bought
the PDP-11/34M when Frank Fink was running the business. The second box is
mostly for add-on cards. I believe they bring out Unibus on one of the
multipin circular connectors. It did not have the memory when I got it - I
found the appropriate core memory modules on eBay; someone had scrapped out
the larger version of the rugged PDP-11 series (I think a rugged PDP-11/70)
and was selling the core memory modules.

I am likely going to consign this for the RR Auction "Technology" auction
that I think is in early 2022.

I foolishly passed up a chance to take home a LINC-8 system and a classic
PDP-8 system years ago; they got scrapped. I also turned down a Vax 780
system but it would have meant taking a room full of stuff because of all
the peripherals (washtub disk drives and a couple of tape drives - not
DECtape, either). Then there would have been the trucking and storage.

My shelves full of military and space computers was referred to by my
engineer buddies as "The Horii Home for Wayward Computers".

Got an EAI TR20 analog computer if anyone needs a boat anchor.

Steve Horii

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone know where I can buy a PDP-4 to complement my 567?

Dave Seiter

We had a PDP-8/E in high school in the late 70's (with a very necessary DEC service contract), and I've always wanted one, but now I have little room available, and wondering if I should even keep my teletype.  I could make room by getting rid of some scopes.... nope!
-Dave

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone know where I can buy a PDP-4 to complement my 567?

David Slipper

When we were first married I rescued a PDP8I and ran it in the bedroom of our flat in a 6 foot 19" rack (yes I have a very tolerant wife!!) god knows what the people in the flat below us thought when I ran the paper tape punch!!.

When we moved to our first house it came with us and expanded to include a 9track tape drive and a fixed head disk and 32K words of core from an ICL-1905. Then came the kids so I donated it all to a school and got a PC.

Happy (if noisy) days,
Dave