Topics

Tek 604: Sad story, and CRT wanted

toby@...

Hi group,

I bought a 604 XY from ebay late last year.

Have been checking the unit out, and while generally in good condition,
it's suffered some indignities, which appear to have destroyed the CRT.

Evidence of this was one corner of the tube faceplate chipped (without
destroying vacuum), ( https://imgur.com/a/aJQytLP ) the front CRT shroud
broken, and the blow was also enough to shatter the rear plastic
retaining clip, leaving the metal two-piece bracket and long screw loose
in the case.

However, the unit did power up to a ... spot. Actually two spots. The
upper spot is the real, controllable spot, while the brighter lower one
is apparently due to internal CRT damage:
https://imgur.com/a/SNQydLJ

So, I'm in the market for a replacement CRT. Potentially these:

154-0633-00 (p1)
154-0633-05 (p1)

But if 602 CRT's are compatible (??) then also:

154-0562-00 (p31)
154-0562-01 (p7) ****
154-0572-00 (p31)
154-0572-01 (p7) ****
154-0727-00 (p31)

154-0634-01 (p31) -- 603

I also have 602's and 603's so they'd be of interest anyway.

Thanks for any assistance

--Toby

Tom Bowers

Hello Toby,

I have a new CRT for a 604, still in the original box, never used, it was
purchased as a spare that we never installed. How do I contact you off list
and where are you located.
The CRT is in Colorado and I am not there right now, but could make
arrangements for you.

Tom Bowers

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:31 PM <toby@...> wrote:

[...]

David DiGiacomo

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Tom Bowers <pvhengineering@...> wrote:
I have a new CRT for a 604, still in the original box, never used, it was
purchased as a spare that we never installed. How do I contact you off list
and where are you located.
Apparently you are not receiving the group messages in email. You
original message, then clicking the "Private" button. This seems to
be a real weak spot in the groups.io UI, since no one is able to
figure it out.

The CRT is in Colorado and I am not there right now, but could make
arrangements for you.
OP appears to be in Australia, so I doubt this is going to work.

OP, next time you go shopping for CRTs, you might at least want to
mention what continent you are on.

John Griessen

On 1/16/20 1:59 PM, David DiGiacomo wrote:
OP appears to be in Australia, so I doubt this is going to work.
I'm pretty sure Toby is in the US, even though his email is .au.

this may turn out to be a happy ending:-)

toby@...

On 2020-01-16 2:59 PM, David DiGiacomo wrote:
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Tom Bowers <pvhengineering@...> wrote:
I have a new CRT for a 604, still in the original box, never used, it was
purchased as a spare that we never installed. How do I contact you off list
and where are you located.
Apparently you are not receiving the group messages in email. You
original message, then clicking the "Private" button. This seems to
be a real weak spot in the groups.io UI, since no one is able to
figure it out.

The CRT is in Colorado and I am not there right now, but could make
arrangements for you.
OP appears to be in Australia, so I doubt this is going to work.
Hi,

I'm not in Australia, I'm in Toronto Canada.

OP, next time you go shopping for CRTs, you might at least want to
mention what continent you are on.
That's good advice. Even had I been in Australia, though, I'd probably
be happy to ship from North America.

--Toby

Tom Bowers

Hi Toby,

I am curious about your TEK 604 application. Here's a little background
about mine.

Nearly 50 years ago I was part of a group of a few hundred people. We were
developing hardware and software for a large main frame computer. It was a
24 bit machine, used magnetic core memory and 3 foot diameter fixed head
hard disk drives. It had a lot of I/O. It was over 60 feet long and 7 feet
high. We took 10 bits of the program address and ran them through a digital
to analog converter. We took another 10 bits of the program address and ran
them through another 10 bit DAC. We ignored the least significant bits. We
fed the output of these two DACs to the X and Y axis on a TEK 604. At a
glance, you could see where the machine was executing instructions. And
when it crashed, you could easily see the dreaded "spot". We had multiple
systems and one of my jobs was to replace the CRTs when they got burned.
Some years later when that project was completed, I still had one last new
CRT. It's been in storage for over 40 years now, and I would be glad to
send it on to a good home.

On 2020-01-17 12:30 PM, Tom Bowers wrote:
Hi Toby,

[...]

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the interesting story which was enjoyed by quite a few people
I showed it to. This is the sort of thing that still excites the
retrocomputing community as well as, I hope, test equipment communities.

If I had to ask, "What is the perfect outcome of posting my question on
TekScopes?" you have definitely provided it, by helping me locate a
replacement CRT very quickly. I'll be thrilled to see it working again
in a complete unit.

My own project is learning electronics, and vector graphics generation
is a topic of personal interest. It requires all kinds of techniques so
has definitely motivated a lot of study. I am in the process of
restoring some Tek XY's as a result, including the 604, but I'm also a
repair learner & thus lists like this are extremely valuable.

Thanks again