Tek 577 Step Gen & Volt Div knobs skirt pictures needed

Rogerio O

Hi Folks,
I am in the process of trying to bring a 577/177 back to life.
The CRT seems to be working and so is the step generator.
There is a problem on the vertical circuit so it can only display horizontal traces now, but since there are no "unobtainable" parts on this circuit I think I will eventually find out the problem and fix it.
Unfortunately all the skirts of the 577 and the 177 are severely damaged so I would like to replace them.
It seems it would be impossible to find the original Tek knobs so I will have to improvise.
My approach will be to print an image of the skirt on a transparent film in a photo printer and then sandwich it with plastic films in a hot lamination machine.
However in order to do this, I will need good photos of the knobs.
I was able to find one of the 177 Vertical knob on this forum, but I had no luck with the 577 Step Generator knob and the Horizontal Volts/Div.
Can anyone on this forum take a good picture (top view) of this two knobs and post the file here?
Thank you very much in advance for your cooperation.
Regards,
Roger

Eric

Hi Roger,
There are 3 different layouts for the 177 vertical knob actually. There is the very old 2 light version. Then Tek moved to a single light version but there are 2 different layouts of that one as well If I remember correctly. Which photo do you need?
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rogerio O
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 9:10 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Tek 577 Step Gen & Volt Div knobs skirt pictures needed

Hi Folks,
I am in the process of trying to bring a 577/177 back to life.
The CRT seems to be working and so is the step generator.
There is a problem on the vertical circuit so it can only display horizontal traces now, but since there are no "unobtainable" parts on this circuit I think I will eventually find out the problem and fix it.
Unfortunately all the skirts of the 577 and the 177 are severely damaged so I would like to replace them.
It seems it would be impossible to find the original Tek knobs so I will have to improvise.
My approach will be to print an image of the skirt on a transparent film in a photo printer and then sandwich it with plastic films in a hot lamination machine.
However in order to do this, I will need good photos of the knobs.
I was able to find one of the 177 Vertical knob on this forum, but I had no luck with the 577 Step Generator knob and the Horizontal Volts/Div.
Can anyone on this forum take a good picture (top view) of this two knobs and post the file here?
Thank you very much in advance for your cooperation.
Regards,
Roger

Rogerio O

Thank for your reply Eric,
I have the one light 177, but the skirt is almost "washed out" so I don't know what is in there.
I made a test printing the image that has been posted on this forum and it seems to fit.
If you have a 577, can you take a high resolution photo of the Step Gen & Volt Div knobs and post here?
Regards,
Roger

Dave Voorhis

On 15 May 2021, at 14:10, Rogerio O <rodd414@gmail.com> wrote:

I’ve posted image files to the TekScopes Groups.io <http://groups.io/> photo album entitled "Tektronix 577 V/Div and Step Gen knobs.”

Unfortunately, the ambient lighting is poor (late afternoon and cloudy) so I’ve jury-rigged artificial lighting, which isn’t good.

If they don’t suffice, let me know and I’ll either try better lighting or (if you can wait) I’ll try again in the morning when the ambient lighting is better.

Eric

OK sounds like you have the Late model knob. The earlier 1 light knob was dark with a glowing number through the paint. The Later knob was a clear skirt with a back lit number. Number was painted black. Let me see what I can pull out of the storage.
Eric

From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rogerio O
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek 577 Step Gen & Volt Div knobs skirt pictures needed

Thank for your reply Eric,
I have the one light 177, but the skirt is almost "washed out" so I don't know what is in there.
I made a test printing the image that has been posted on this forum and it seems to fit.
If you have a 577, can you take a high resolution photo of the Step Gen & Volt Div knobs and post here?
Regards,
Roger

Eric

I added the 177 Gen 3 clear knob to the album as well.

Eric

From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Voorhis
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek 577 Step Gen & Volt Div knobs skirt pictures needed

I’ve posted image files to the TekScopes Groups.io <http://groups.io/> photo album entitled "Tektronix 577 V/Div and Step Gen knobs.”

Unfortunately, the ambient lighting is poor (late afternoon and cloudy) so I’ve jury-rigged artificial lighting, which isn’t good.

If they don’t suffice, let me know and I’ll either try better lighting or (if you can wait) I’ll try again in the morning when the ambient lighting is better.

Andy Warner

I also uploaded some photos of my single lamp 577/177 knobs.
I removed them from the unit and took the photos on a light box.
The digital camera has some strobing effects, but I hope they are useful.
I had to take two photos of the horiz knob, as I could not get all the
yellow legend in one shot.

Half of the clear skirt on my 577 collector supply knob is missing
(including the pointer to the resistor), so I am looking at making
something to fix that. Am curious to see how your technique works.

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 11:52 Eric <ericsp@gmail.com> wrote:

I added the 177 Gen 3 clear knob to the album as well.

Eric

From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Voorhis
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2021 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek 577 Step Gen & Volt Div knobs skirt pictures
needed

I was able to find one of the 177 Vertical knob on this forum, but I
had no luck with the 577 Step Generator knob and the Horizontal Volts/Div.
Can anyone on this forum take a good picture (top view) of this two
knobs and post the file here?

I’ve posted image files to the TekScopes Groups.io <http://groups.io/>
photo album entitled "Tektronix 577 V/Div and Step Gen knobs.”

Unfortunately, the ambient lighting is poor (late afternoon and cloudy) so
I’ve jury-rigged artificial lighting, which isn’t good.

If they don’t suffice, let me know and I’ll either try better lighting or
(if you can wait) I’ll try again in the morning when the ambient lighting
is better.

--
Andy

Rogerio O

Thank you for uploading the photos, folks.
Andy the photos of the 577 have a "bright spot" on the left and a shadow on the lower right.
I might be able to correct the bright spot using a photo editor, but it will not be possible to fix the "low light" section since there is not "enough information" there to allow it.
Yes I can wait so you can select another day /opportunity to take another set of photos.
As a suggestion, if you use artificial lighting try to use at least 2 light sources (to avoid the appearance of "shadows").
The lamps could be located slightly off the center axis of the knob since this is the position were the camera should be located
Reading lamps may be useful, but try to put a blank sheet of paper (printer paper or similar) taped to the lamp frame to act as a diffuser.
It will lower the "amount of light" reaching the knob (bad) but it will avoid the formation of bright spots like the ones that are appearing on the left of the picture (good).
Special thanks to you since I know from experience that it is not easy to keep moving a 20kg instrument around in order to get the proper lighting to take pictures....
regards,
Roger

Rogerio O

Hi Folks,
After working with the photos posted by Daves for a long time I realized that there is a problem about them If one is trying to really mimic the original Tek knob.
That is because in the original knobs, the actual value of the variable is "engraved" in the gray part of the skirt (by not applying gray ink on them) so they are highlighted by the lamp that exists in the case panel.
Of course I it is possible to use the yellow arrow to known the value that has been selected but it would be very nice if we could keep the original feature.
So, any photo posted for that purpose should be taken with the knob out of the instrument and placed over a white surface, so the numbers would appear "white" on the photo.
I am sorry I have missed that until now.
The "bright side" of this is that it is much more easy to have a good lighting condition in this situation.
Regads,
Roger

Stefan

Hi Roger,

From the photos posted, new dial faces can be created. I would need to know the true diameter of each dial (3 of them?) and the best example of the gold color. I would recommend the files be .pdf (photoshop document file) for its universal format.

These would not be touched up photos, but rather new illustrations with no distortions.

Best,
Stefan

Rogerio O

Stephan,
As I have explained in my previous post, the 577 skirts created from the images posted until now will not be a "perfect replica" of the originals since the numbers on the skirt are not visible.
All the 177 photos are ok.
In order to allow a "usable" photo to be taken for this purpose, the knob has to be removed from the 577 and placed on a white surface so the numbers on the dial would be visible in the grey surroundings.
Regards,
Roger

Andy Warner

I measure all three knob skirts at 1.482” outside diameter (doesn’t seem to
be around number in metric either.)
I suspect we could use 1.5” without serious problem, although the alignment
of the yellow numbers with the lamp lens will be tricky.
If I remove them again to try and take perfect photos, I will try and
figure out the inner and outer diameter of the alternate markings used when
the lamp is on.

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 16:39 Stefan <Sscandizzo@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Roger,

From the photos posted, new dial faces can be created. I would need to
know the true diameter of each dial (3 of them?) and the best example of
the gold color. I would recommend the files be .pdf (photoshop document
file) for its universal format.

These would not be touched up photos, but rather new illustrations with no
distortions.

Best,
Stefan

--
Andy

Andy Warner

Typo in last post i said “yellow numbers”, they are of course, clear and
backlit when the lamp is on.

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 22:03 Andy Warner <andyw@pobox.com> wrote:

I measure all three knob skirts at 1.482” outside diameter (doesn’t seem to
be around number in metric either.)
I suspect we could use 1.5” without serious problem, although the alignment
of the yellow numbers with the lamp lens will be tricky.
If I remove them again to try and take perfect photos, I will try and
figure out the inner and outer diameter of the alternate markings used when
the lamp is on.

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 16:39 Stefan <Sscandizzo@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Roger,

From the photos posted, new dial faces can be created. I would need to
know the true diameter of each dial (3 of them?) and the best example of
the gold color. I would recommend the files be .pdf (photoshop document
file) for its universal format.

These would not be touched up photos, but rather new illustrations with
no
distortions.

Best,
Stefan

--
Andy

--
Andy

Stefan

Hi Roger,

I've added an image to the photo folder. Is this something you can use?

-Stefan

Andy Warner

Nice job, Stefan. Looks great.
I can take some critical diameter measurements to help scale it, do you
prefer metric or imperial ?

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 11:29 Stefan <Sscandizzo@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Roger,

I've added an image to the photo folder. Is this something you can use?

-Stefan

--
Andy

Stefan

Thanks, Andy. It may be best to let Roger scale the image when printing, but I can do it, too. I’m happy with either measure.

-Stefan

Rogerio O

Hi Folks,
I have been trying to fix the problem on my 577/177 so I had no time to check the forum.
It has been more difficult to spot the problem than I thought at first.
During this process I had the opportunity of watching one of the tantalum caps catch on fire.
Fortunately it did to take any other component down with it.
I have already bought the celluloid film so I can try to print the images.
No need to worry about scaling since photoshop allows me to define the image size.
I intend to continue trying to fix the electronics first, then move to "cosmetics", so it may take some time before I start it but I will post photos as soon as I make the replacements.
Thank you all for your help.

Rogerio O

I made a test with the 177 images, as a proof of concept.
It worked, and it was possible to laminate the image printed on a transparent celluloid film.
It might be necessary to try with several images, because sometimes air bubbles are kept in the laminated material.
I will post photos of the 177 knob that I have and skirts that I was able to make.
Now I will try to find someone who is familiar with photoshop in order to improve the image quality before I try again.
Thanks to all,
Roger

Stefan

Hi Roger,

I use Photoshop almost daily. Post the 177 images you used and I could probably turn around a retouched version in a day or so.

-Stefan

Rogerio O

Hi Stephen,
Thank you for you kind offer.
The image is available in the section photos of this forum.
However, when I visited this page again to post the link here, I noticed that there is a very good image of one 177 skirt already there.
i am sorry for the trouble.