Topics

Tek 576 Curve Tracer HV Replacement Transformer

garp66

hi Michael,

Re: bulk Replacement HV Transformers for the Trk 576 CT

Status ?

Do we know when these will be ready to be shipped out to us ?

thank you,
rick

Michael W. Lynch

Rick,
Thanks for asking.  I have reached out to the factory for an update.  They were supposed to ship this week, but I have not received tracking.  The delay was reported to be with the factory which produced the cores.  There is no US supplier for these bare cores, so we are held hostage by the foreign factory's ability to produce/deliver the goods.  This corona virus crap has everyone all stirred up around the world.  I hope to have some good news early next week. 

Very sorry for the delay. 

Sincerely,

Michael Lynch 479-226-0126 Home Phone479-477-1115 Cell Phonemlynch001@...@gmail.commlynch003@...

On Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:43:30 AM CDT, garp66 <@garp66> wrote:

hi Michael,

Re:  bulk Replacement HV Transformers  for the Trk 576 CT

Status ?

Do we know when these will be ready to be shipped out to us ?

thank you,
rick

Mlynch001

Cores have arrived and the actual production work began late last week. Coils are wound, varnished, encapsulated and finally, tested. I have insisted that quality and reliability have priority speed and cost. After the final testing phase at the factory, transformers are shipping to me immediately. I will distribute the individual orders ASAP once the parts are received here. I estimate 10-14 days until I am able to mail the first components.

Thank you for your patience.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Jean-Paul

Michel good work, I have a finest 576 no issues but like to have a spare transformer

Forgotten the cost, and compatibility, any photos the finished unit or serial numbers range of compatible 576?

Many thanks

Jean-Paul

Miguel Work

Mlynch001

To All who purchased one of these from me and have been patiently waiting, THANK YOU! I finally received my shipment late this week. I have tested a randomly selected example in my 576 and it performed exactly like the prototype. I also have designed, 3D printed and included a small mounting adapter that allows this to be installed using the original mounting hardware and position, no holes to drill, no extra hardware to buy. I am looking for suitable sized small boxes for shipping. I will do my best to ship these to all US addresses early next week, COVID-19 debacle permitting!

Contact me off list if you have questions.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Tam Hanna

Hello,

slink me a picture and I will run it on my Instagram ASAP!

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Kudos to Michael Lynch who is the group member who commissioned the manufacture of these transformers.

Now if anyone could persuade the same company to do transformers for the 7834/7934 ...

David

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Miguel Work
Sent: 04 April 2020 12:28
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tek 576 Curve Tracer HV Replacement Transformer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-TYPE-576-120-0612-03-HV-XFMR-Impossible-to-find-NEW-Until-Now/202955246948?hash=item2f41134d64:g:vioAAOSwYNpehrBs

Hi Michael,

Your dedication to the TekScopes community is commendable. The world needs more do-ers like yourself.

(Rant-mode-on) If mlynch001 can be a source of replacement transformers, WHY CANNOT Tektronix have been the one?
Don't they feel any responsibility for their products? A part they manufactured with an OBVIOUS defect that can totally disable one of their expensive instruments?
If Michael could find a manufacturer, could they not have taken an infinitesimal part of their huge development and manufacturing facility to make these transformers?
And they didn't need to lose money. If not free, they could have delivered this parts at cost. For all their old scopes that have this HV transformer problem.
As my esteem for the old Tektronix instruments increases, my regard for Tektronix Inc with its over a billion dollars revenue keeps falling.

Ernesto

Mlynch001

I believe that TEKTRONIX has gone the way of the rest of the world and most of the world does not value these now anachronistic machines as those here in our forum. Everything is now "disposable". The bottom line is not helped by "fixing" anything, they can only hope that people buy their next product ASAP, therefore corporations hope to obsolete last years model as soon as possible and by whatever means possible. Look at the I-Phone for example. People give thousands for the "latest and greatest" model and in a year or so, their device is worth 25% of what they gave for it. Try to get an I-Phone repaired! That is a very difficult, if not impossible task. It amazes me that these extremely powerful devices (I-Phones and other smart devices) are generally used to read e-mails, take "selfies" and post pictures/video clips on TikTok, Instagram or Twitter. Our beloved TEK Scopes and other instruments helped send men to the moon, how far the mighty have fallen.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Hi Michael,
Thank you for showing others what can be done by a dedicated member of TekScopes who refuses to let a valuable instrument collect dust.

Would your supplier be willing to make replacements for other Tek HV transformers where there is enough demand to meet his minimum order?

HV Transformers endure incredible electrical stresses and there are very few potting materials that are stable over a product lifetime that can last decades. They are all going to fail eventually.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Hi Ernesto,

It is probably a waste of my time to reply to your rant. My conclusions, from reading your comments are:
1) You haven’t got a clue what it takes to run a successful business.
2) You only think of yourself.
3) You think everything should be available forever at a price acceptable to you.
I decided to reply because I hope to learn something I don’t know. You clearly have an issue with the way Tek runs its business; ergo there are companies that run their businesses at least as well, or better, than you were expecting from Tek. I expect you to name one or more of those companies to justify your rant. I, and the other members of TekScopes, will benefit from learning which companies you have dealt with that provide the customer service and support you came to expect from Tek. So please answer the following question so we all may know who you recommend for their support and service:
-----------
Name me a company that maintains an inventory of spare parts for anything they built 50 years ago. Be sure to include only the companies that provide this service for individuals who paid less than 5% of the original cost of the instrument and who will expect the spare part to likewise cost 5% of its original manufacturing cost.
-----------
When the HV Transformer on my favorite scope, a 7854, failed this was simply not an acceptable situation. Unlike you I didn't expect a company that once was known for its stellar support to carry a spare part 30 years later just for me. I didn't disparage the company for not designing this part so it could last past my death 50 years later. Instead I got off my butt and called the manufacturer of the part listed in the Tek manual. I gave them the part number and I asked for a quote. They contacted me a few days later to say they would be happy to make a batch of them for only $425 each with a minimum order of five. Their quote was not unreasonable. Should I have explained to them that although this 7854 cost $10,000 new I bought it on eBay for $400? Therefore the replacement transformer should only cost $400 / $10000 = 4% of its new price, or $425 * 4% = $17. Do I dare follow this up by saying I only want to pay for one? Would they still be in business 30 years after the scope was made if they sold their transformers on eBay for $17? If I had told them Ernesto expects them to make it for around $17 would they have taken his opinion into consideration or would they have shown me the door?

If you have an issue with Tek or the way they run their business there are other companies who make similar products, but I doubt they have the incredible support network we do from the vintageTEK Museum, TekWiki, TekScopes Forum, and Tek’s own Service Manuals. Keep us posted on what you find. If you find something better we will all be interested in hearing about it.

I, for one, know how extremely fortunate I am that there once was a company whose dedication to quality, exceptional engineering, and excellence in everything they did, resulted in instruments that still work as good as they did 40, 50, even 60 years after they were built. Their legacy lives on with the support we receive from the volunteers at the vintageTEK Museum, the incredible creation of Kurt Rosenfeld who gave us TekWiki, Michael Dunn who recognized the need 20 years ago for the TekScopes Forum, and the amazing Service Manuals that Tek produced to support every instrument they made. I would be remiss if I didn’t include eBay. It would not be possible for us to own these incredible instruments without the marketplace they created for used Tek equipment 25 years ago.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ernesto
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2020 7:21 AM

<SNIP>
(Rant-mode-on) If mlynch001 can be a source of replacement transformers, WHY CANNOT Tektronix have been the one?
Don't they feel any responsibility for their products? A part they manufactured with an OBVIOUS defect that can totally disable one of their expensive instruments?
If Michael could find a manufacturer, could they not have taken an infinitesimal part of their huge development and manufacturing facility to make these transformers?
And they didn't need to lose money. If not free, they could have delivered this parts at cost. For all their old scopes that have this HV transformer problem.
As my esteem for the old Tektronix instruments increases, my regard for Tektronix Inc with its over a billion dollars revenue keeps falling.

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Errick

Dennis,
Very well said.

Michael,
Can you tell us who the manufactured the transformers?

Hi Dennis,

I am sorry if I made you waste your time over my rant. You probably have the fortune of having much life time ahead to acquire maturity and not get upset over the rant of an old man.

I have experience with excellence, but not in the consumer products market. I worked practically all my life for a service company in the oil industry, Schlumberger. If you are familiar with this industry, you must know that this company has always been and is by far the leader in measurements in oil wells, or "well logging". Its presence is all over the world. It provides excellent service to its customers, the oil companies, and they cultivate the relationship because this company can do things no other one can, important in a highly expensive environment. After working in the field, I designed for over 30 years all sorts of electronic equipment and data acquisition systems, so I know about quality and reliability in severe environments. This equipment has to work in the wells at a temperature range from freezing to 350 degF, under enormous pressures, support the banging of transportation to well sites and handling at an oil rig (people there are not suave), and yet make delicate complex measurements for long hours without failure. Rig time is very expensive, and a little failure can mean long hours of down time of the rig, at tens of thousands of dollars. Schlumberger has developed measurements using any imaginable physical magnitude, including nuclear magnetic resonance, to find, qualify and help extract that "black gold" from down there.

My former company does not sell its sophisticated equipment, it sells its service using it, at indecent high prices... (until now?). I used to do measurements non stop for up to 2 days at an oil well, and our customer was like God. It is the attitude of service or lack of it what drove my opinion of Tektronix, not the quality of their equipment. If so many VOLUNTEERS put their time to cultivate that legacy which helps hold high the image of the company, why cannot they have ONE person among their 4500 employees who is a liaison to these volunteers and their members, and shows interest for their problems and offers solutions?

BTW, I also have esteem for the 7854 oscilloscope, especially its service manual. I am reading it now to learn the principles of the early digitizing system. The inverter and HV supply are close to the ones in my 7704, and if I experience a failure in the HV transformer I will do like I did with the 547, find a solution around it, or build one myself, of course with the help of the TekScopes community.

Regards,
Ernesto

Don Bitters

Amen!! I concur.Don Bitters

Mlynch001

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 11:56 AM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

Hi Michael,
Thank you for showing others what can be done by a dedicated member of
TekScopes who refuses to let a valuable instrument collect dust.

Would your supplier be willing to make replacements for other Tek HV
transformers where there is enough demand to meet his minimum order?

HV Transformers endure incredible electrical stresses and there are very few
potting materials that are stable over a product lifetime that can last
decades. They are all going to fail eventually.

Dennis Tillman W7pF
--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator
Dennis,

Thank you for your kind words and recognition of my project. I am just happy to be able to do my small part in keeping these wonderful machines in operation and helping others do the same. Giving back to other members is just a small way to say "Thank You" for all the help that I have received.

I would be interested to hear what other transformers would be of interest to the group. We would probably need to do batches of 10 or more to make it feasible. I could do something like what was done on the 576 Project.

I had a long discussion with the factory sales people while negotiating and attempting to talk them into the idea of doing this 576 transformer for me. They indicated some interested in doing others for me on a small batch basis, but no firm commitment. Whatever they do will need to be built using similar available cores and other materials. I would need to reach out to them with a potential candidate. Since we have most of the prints for the various instruments let me know which one and I can then reach out to the factory for a proposal.

Perhaps the group can come up with a model that they deem "High priority"?

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

John Crighton

Hello Michael,
well done on your transformer project.
I am interested in a High Voltage Multiplier for a 465 oscilloscope.
Maybe put a kit of parts together to make a multiplier.

Hello Dennis,
I think you mentioned that you have contacts at Tektronix and that
you know many Tektronix ex employees.
Could you do me a favour and ask around for the schematic diagram
for the Power Supply in the TDS 320 oscilloscope.

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney

----- Original Message -----
To: <TekScopes@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2020 2:19 PM

Hi Michael,

HV Transformers endure incredible electrical stresses and there are very few
potting materials that are stable over a product lifetime that can last
decades. They are all going to fail eventually.

Dennis Tillman W7pF
--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator
Dennis,

Thank you for your kind words and recognition of my project. I am just happy to be able to do my small part in keeping these wonderful machines in operation and helping others do the same. Giving back to other members is just a small way to say "Thank You" for all the help that I have received.

I would be interested to hear what other transformers would be of interest to the group. We would probably need to do batches of 10 or more to make it feasible. I could do something like what was done on the 576 Project.

I had a long discussion with the factory sales people while negotiating and attempting to talk them into the idea of doing this 576 transformer for me. They indicated some interested in doing others for me on a small batch basis, but no firm commitment. Whatever they do will need to be built using similar available cores and other materials. I would need to reach out to them with a potential candidate. Since we have most of the prints for the various instruments let me know which one and I can then reach out to the factory for a proposal.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

RustySparks

Michael, thanks for your work.
I am interested in the HV transformer for type 453 scope.
Harry Oder

From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mlynch001
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2020 12:20 AM

Hi Michael,

HV Transformers endure incredible electrical stresses and there are
very few potting materials that are stable over a product lifetime
that can last decades. They are all going to fail eventually.

Dennis Tillman W7pF
--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator
Dennis,

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Chuck Harris

Ernesto,

A couple of things:

1) Dennis owns this group... plan accordingly.
2) You are not the oldest, nor the wisest member of this
group... not by a long shot.

We avoid chest thumping, because it results in wars of words,
rolled eyes, ruffled feathers, and hurt feelings...

And, the inevitable bloodshed rusts the equipment.

-Chuck Harris

Ernesto wrote:

Hi Dennis,

I am sorry if I made you waste your time over my rant. You probably have the fortune of having much life time ahead to acquire maturity and not get upset over the rant of an old man.

I have experience with excellence, but not in the consumer products market. I worked practically all my life for a service company in the oil industry, Schlumberger. If you are familiar with this industry, you must know that this company has always been and is by far the leader in measurements in oil wells, or "well logging". Its presence is all over the world. It provides excellent service to its customers, the oil companies, and they cultivate the relationship because this company can do things no other one can, important in a highly expensive environment. After working in the field, I designed for over 30 years all sorts of electronic equipment and data acquisition systems, so I know about quality and reliability in severe environments. This equipment has to work in the wells at a temperature range from freezing to 350 degF, under enormous pressures, support the banging of transportation to well sites and handling at an oil rig (people there are not suave), and yet make delicate complex measurements for long hours without failure. Rig time is very expensive, and a little failure can mean long hours of down time of the rig, at tens of thousands of dollars. Schlumberger has developed measurements using any imaginable physical magnitude, including nuclear magnetic resonance, to find, qualify and help extract that "black gold" from down there.

My former company does not sell its sophisticated equipment, it sells its service using it, at indecent high prices... (until now?). I used to do measurements non stop for up to 2 days at an oil well, and our customer was like God. It is the attitude of service or lack of it what drove my opinion of Tektronix, not the quality of their equipment. If so many VOLUNTEERS put their time to cultivate that legacy which helps hold high the image of the company, why cannot they have ONE person among their 4500 employees who is a liaison to these volunteers and their members, and shows interest for their problems and offers solutions?

BTW, I also have esteem for the 7854 oscilloscope, especially its service manual. I am reading it now to learn the principles of the early digitizing system. The inverter and HV supply are close to the ones in my 7704, and if I experience a failure in the HV transformer I will do like I did with the 547, find a solution around it, or build one myself, of course with the help of the TekScopes community.

Regards,
Ernesto

Chuck,

A couple of things.

1) I don't challenge Dennis's ownership of the group. I respect his directives as moderator of the group.
2) You cannot possibly know how old and wise I am, not by a long shot. And vice versa.

Before Dennis's post, I never felt attacked or challenged in this group.
I don't know why he got so upset over my critique of Tektronix.
He wanted to know which companies I consider comparable or superior to Tektronix, and I told him so.
Schlumberger was created by two incredible ingenious and smart brothers, and rose to fame like Tektronix did.
Their services are famous in their industry like Tektronix equipment is famous in the electronics industry.
Their excellence in service is backed by the excellence of their equipment.
It dedicates one of the largest segments of their income to research and development.
Schlumberger sells measurements (logs), and their product does not have an expiration date.
Oil wells don't have an expiration date either, there can be valid questions about them after 50 years.
If a client wants to know about some logs made in 1970, Schlumberger will help interpret them.
In my opinion, the service provided by Schlumberger is superior to the one of Tektronix.

I don't post here for chest trumping. I enjoy the exchange of knowledge in the topic of electronic design and oscilloscopes in particular.
I am not the only one here with plenty of experience who like to communicate it to others and help them with their problems.
And I respect and appreciate the experience of other members of this group, who have helped me on various occasions.
I believe that one important reason equipment gets rusty is because their owners have not yet found the way to fix them.
And our knowledge is a noble gift we should all be able to give.

Ernesto