Topics

Tek 570 curve tracer on eBay

Colin Herbert

There is an odd posting of a Tek 570 vacuum tube curve tracer on eBay at the moment.The starting price was $2 and bids have got up to $11.50. This price is surely a steal, if true. Oddly enough, though, one of the posted photos suggests that the eBay bids will be ignored and that the "Buy It Now" price is $3000 but a different organisation has to be contacted for this. What is going on and is this some kind of scam?
Colin.

Dave Voorhis

On 10 Oct 2020, at 10:57, Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

There is an odd posting of a Tek 570 vacuum tube curve tracer on eBay at the moment.The starting price was $2 and bids have got up to $11.50. This price is surely a steal, if true. Oddly enough, though, one of the posted photos suggests that the eBay bids will be ignored and that the "Buy It Now" price is $3000 but a different organisation has to be contacted for this. What is going on and is this some kind of scam?
Colin.
It’s a scam and it pops up semi-regularly. It noticed it in two ads yesterday, but with the same curve tracer supposedly in London. The usual pattern is sellers that were previously selling small-potatoes art supplies and the like but switch virtually overnight to selling rare and/or high-end guitars, stereo equipment, electronics, watches, bicycles, tools, etc.

It’s almost always the same pictures of the same curve tracer. An image or ad description that offers a buy-it-now is typical, sometimes indicating that the seller will only accept buy-it-now and will delete all bids.

I’d guess the eBay accounts were originally legitimate when selling art supplies or whatever, but have been hacked or otherwise acquired by the scammer.

Petru Ulici

Hello,

Be careful, the pictures are the same as pictures from 570 - TekWiki.
I think that admin can verify who uploaded it, if it is the same person.
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/570

Best wish

On Saturday, October 10, 2020, 01:00:22 PM GMT+3, Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

There is an odd posting of a Tek 570 vacuum tube curve tracer on eBay at the moment.The starting price was $2 and bids have got up to $11.50. This price is surely a steal, if true. Oddly enough, though, one of the posted photos suggests that the eBay bids will be ignored and that the "Buy It Now" price is $3000 but a different organisation has to be contacted for this. What is going on and is this some kind of scam?
Colin.

Tom Gardner

It is a scam, pure and simple. Always check what the vendor has sold previously.

Such scams occur in bursts; I notice them with HP and Tek equipment.

On 10 Oct 2020, at 11:17, Petru Ulici via groups.io <petru_ulici=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

Be careful, the pictures are the same as pictures from 570 - TekWiki.
I think that admin can verify who uploaded it, if it is the same person.
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/570
Both the scammer and TekWiki likely obtained the pictures from the same original and legitimate eBay ad.

Carsten Bormann

On 2020-10-10, at 11:57, Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

There is an odd posting of a Tek 570 vacuum tube curve tracer on eBay at the moment.The starting price was $2 and bids have got up to $11.50. This price is surely a steal, if true. Oddly enough, though, one of the posted photos suggests that the eBay bids will be ignored and that the "Buy It Now" price is $3000 but a different organisation has to be contacted for this. What is going on and is this some kind of scam?
Want a HP 3458A for $6.50?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/114455043971

(See the second image for the scam.)

These come up faster than they can be squashed.
(Of course, I reported it, so it may be gone already when you look.)
Poor ratbike_nl — probably just another victim.
Be careful with your ebay passwords...

Grüße, Carsten

Tom Phillips

When I have seen suspicious ebay listings I have used the "Report Item" link on the listing page to inform ebay. The listing always disappeared within a short time. I'm not attempting to be an eBay policeman. I have only done this when I had specific knowledge about the item, it was a significant scam and I personally knew a friend who had already sold or still owned the item.

Lyle Bickley

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 02:57:13 -0700
"Colin Herbert via groups.io" <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

There is an odd posting of a Tek 570 vacuum tube curve tracer on eBay at the
moment.The starting price was $2 and bids have got up to $11.50. This price
is surely a steal, if true. Oddly enough, though, one of the posted photos
suggests that the eBay bids will be ignored and that the "Buy It Now" price
is $3000 but a different organisation has to be contacted for this. What is
going on and is this some kind of scam? Colin.
This is a scam. I reported it to eBay...

Lyle
--
73 NM6Y
Bickley Consulting West

Vince Vielhaber

I dunno if he's a victim or not. He has multiple listings doing the same thing, including a Generac 22k generator that he's already ended 'cuze it's no longer available.

Vince.

On 2020-10-10, at 11:57, Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

There is an odd posting of a Tek 570 vacuum tube curve tracer on eBay at the moment.The starting price was $2 and bids have got up to $11.50. This price is surely a steal, if true. Oddly enough, though, one of the posted photos suggests that the eBay bids will be ignored and that the "Buy It Now" price is $3000 but a different organisation has to be contacted for this. What is going on and is this some kind of scam?
Want a HP 3458A for $6.50?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/114455043971

(See the second image for the scam.)

These come up faster than they can be squashed.
(Of course, I reported it, so it may be gone already when you look.)
Poor ratbike_nl — probably just another victim.
Be careful with your ebay passwords...

Grüße, Carsten

Bill Perkins

I sent ratbik_nl a note so he can deal with it., He has 3933
other listings so this one got lost in all that.

And just looking at them I see there's another one, here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Tech-CL-1B-Compressor/133542288926?hash=item1f17bd9e1e:g:1mgAAOSwPllfgP2g

Likely there are 100s more as the pages for such as watches don't don't worth a damn and everything I looked had the bogus shipping cost.

Bill

These come up faster than they can be squashed.
(Of course, I reported it, so it may be gone already when you look.)
Poor ratbike_nl — probably just another victim.
Be careful with your ebay passwords...
Grüße, Carsten

Roy Thistle

Hi NM6Y:
I've been through this before.
It is a scam.
It's just somebody in Lahore, or Shenzhen, who has got into an Ebay account that has been abandoned... and then has populated it with the pics of items, scraped from other Ebay pages.
Ebay doesn't care about reporting...allegedly. Do they/did they get back to you? Anyway, I believe they have a robot checking ads... identifying violations... and so... after contacting the buyer and getting no responses... they close the buyer's account
Sellers adding anything to an Ebay for sale ad, even a hint, to promote/offer/close deals outside of Ebay, means you've violated Ebay's policies... allegedly. (They have many policies... allegedly.)
Closing a deal and paying for it, outside Ebay, means no PayPal protection, or sympathy from Ebay. (another Ebay policy... allegedly.)
Every Ebay seller knows this all this, or ought to... so yes... it's a scam... yet many people will watch, and even bid on these things. It never comes to anything... The sales never close, and there is no history of the items be sold.
Regards.

Carsten Bormann

On 2020-10-10, at 20:21, Bill Perkins <sales@...> wrote:

I sent ratbik_nl a note so he can deal with it., He has 3933
other listings so this one got lost in all that.
Since the hijacker will have changed the password and other account information, it is unlikely the original owner gets to see that.

And just looking at them I see there's another one, here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tube-Tech-CL-1B-Compressor/133542288926?hash=item1f17bd9e1e:g:1mgAAOSwPllfgP2g

Likely there are 100s more as the pages for such as watches don't don't worth a damn and everything I looked had the bogus shipping cost.
Yes. The real ones from ratbike_nl (49738 listings; they seem to have sold mostly old magazines, stickers and knickknack like that) were sited in the Netherlands. Most (but not all) of the fake/scam listings (3817 results) claim to be sited in the US.

Why do I care about these scams? Their fake offerings turn up in searches and it does take a couple of seconds to check them out and see that they are fraud. So I do report them to Ebay (which stupidly is five clicks) and they usually go away after a weekday or too.

Grüße, Carsten

Dave Voorhis

On 10 Oct 2020, at 20:10, Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@...> wrote:

It's just somebody in Lahore, or Shenzhen, who has got into an Ebay account that has been abandoned…
Accounts are usually hacked via automated password guessing, phishing schemes and malware. It’s quite likely that the original owner of the account is currently locked out, has had his PayPal account emptied, is absolutely livid and desperately wants to get his account (and money) back but has no idea how to do it.

It’s relatively unlikely to originate in India or China. Top three countries for Internet scams are Latvia, Egypt, and the United States. (See https://blog.sift.com/2013/global-e-commerce-fraud/)

SCMenasian

This is definitely a scam. ratbike_nl's account has been compromised and used to list high value items in several categories with bidding instructions to bypass eBay's process and submit a large payment to the hijacker outside of eBay. At this time, ratbike's account has also been used to list a harpisichord (I reported that listing to eBay). In the past, the bypass instructions have been a part of the item description and eBay was able to detect and verify them automatically. The new wrinkle in this case is that the instructions were contained on one of the photos. I don't know if eBay is equipped to handle this automatically. I suspect they're not since the listings used to vanish before bids were placed. This does not seem to be the case for these listings. I suspect this hijacked account is currently being used to list many high value items in many categories. NEVER bid on these listings and, if you see them, report them to eBay.