Topics

Tek 500 connectors or similar? A bit off topic!!!

Daniel Koller

Hi all,
   I have another slightly off topic but on topic question, again related to my car!  You can tell I've been working on and playing with my '67 Mustang convertible lately, and btw after checking it out with my scope, and other trouble shooting, I replaced the ignition coil, and it is running absolutely perfectly now.
  So anyway, years ago, while in high school (and now I mean 30 years ago) I built myself a custom "Benzi Box" for my radio.  It being a convertible, I didn't want the top slashed, so someone could steel the radio.   Using the original dashboard bezel, and some folded metal framework, I built a custom frame and "plug in" for the radios (you can tell how this is related now...).  I have two radios I can simply swap in and out.  One is a Sound Stream AM/FM cassette, the other is the original AM pushbutton radio that came with the car.   A third will soon be a 1970's vintage 8-track.   The plug-in around the radio connects to the frame in the car using a multi-pin connector to carry +12V, ground, stereo left/right  front and back, antenna power, etc.
   Now, the problem is that I used a set of connectors from a Tek 500 plug-in, as I had a few junkers at the time (and I was a bit clueless).   Clearly, these are a bit more valuable to me now.
   The question then, is are there any very *similar* connectors to the Amphenol blue Tek 500 plug in connectors that would serve in a similar capacity?   Prefereably they would be commonly available, and be a relatively simple swap for bot the male and female versions.   That would allow me to pull the two males and one female out of my radios and use them to fix the damaged connectors on a couple of Tek 500 plug-ins that need them.   And I'd have something a bit more replaceable for the radios.   I need at least as many pins because they are all used!

  Thanks for the Ideas in advance,  Dan

John Griessen

On 8/6/19 11:04 PM, Daniel Koller via Groups.Io wrote:
are there any very*similar* connectors to the Amphenol blue Tek 500 plug in connectors that would serve in a similar capacity?   Prefereably they would be commonly available, and be a relatively simple swap for bot the male and female versions.   That would allow me to pull the two males and one female out of my radios and use them to fix the damaged connectors on a couple of Tek 500 plug-ins that need them.
Cinch card edge connectors with 0.156 or so spacing? I have some of those in widths like 8 10 12 pairs of contacts. Can you rig a card edge to stick out of your racks/boxes?

Dave Brown

Yes and yes. Amphenol make 'em. Probably others as well? A local R/T manufacturer (Tait Electronics) used the red range a lot in their early VHF product so the radio could be just unplugged from the permanently mounted cradle(sound familiar!) They changed to a different connector with a coax insert when they went to 460 MHz gear as the impedance bump in the antenna lead thru the red range jobs was a bit much for up there.
There's a blue range as well- sorry can't recall what they are called just now but they are fairly common. Lots of 16 way here (ex eqpt) if you cant find any.
DaveB, NZ

[...]

Harvey White

On 8/7/2019 12:04 AM, Daniel Koller via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]
IIRC, these are amphenol blue ribbon connectors.  You might want to consider centronics style connectors, which may work.  BTW: I think that old HP equipment used them too, so depending on the age of the equipment, a check on the HP list may help.

A short check of Mouser didn't show any in the catalog.

Harvey

  Thanks for the Ideas in advance,  Dan

Dave Brown

Further to this- I think the ones Tek used are the 26-4100 series-the ones I have that are slightly different are the 26-4200 series.
DaveB, NZ

[...]

Renée

I did something similar back in 82 after thieves stole the radio from my 320 BMW....stuff originally used was from Haltek eons ago.
I used (in fact just replaced the female 22pin card edge connector). cinch makes others look at the data sheet/ cinch catalogue. Cardcon .156 series starts on page 2-62. have a gander lots of ideas!
Mouser #:  538-50-44SN-1 should get you close
available in other number of pins too IFIRC  6,10,15,18......
are not cheap, but then quality never is........
remember long after the price is forgotten the quality remains.......
Renée

On 2019-08-06 9:04 p.m., Daniel Koller via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi all,
[...]

.

Daniel Koller

Hi All,
  Thanks for the advice.
  Yes, it appears the Amphenol connectos in the 500 series are series 26 connectors.   Probably the *easiest* thing for me to do is to keep using them.    There are used ones available on e-bay for $12.95, likely harvested from a Tek scope.   But this is like organ harvesting.   If I buy that one on e-bay, do I encourage someone to strip them out of good, working plug-ins that might otherwise get sold intact to a wanting collector?  It's like the ivory trade - I'd hate to encourage it.  But on the flip side, if I keep using the connector I started with then it's a whole lot easier on me.
  The best bet it seems would be to use one of those Amphenol Series 26-4200 connectors mentioned They omit the alignment/polarity pins of the 4100 used in the Tek plugins.  But I note that they are about double the price of the used 16 pin 4100 male on e-bay.   Arg.  It costs a lot of money to be ethical!
  Dan

Hi all,

On 8/7/2019 9:57 AM, Daniel Koller via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi All,
  Thanks for the advice.
  Yes, it appears the Amphenol connectos in the 500 series are series 26 connectors.   Probably the *easiest* thing for me to do is to keep using them.    There are used ones available on e-bay for $12.95, likely harvested from a Tek scope.   But this is like organ harvesting.   If I buy that one on e-bay, do I encourage someone to strip them out of good, working plug-ins that might otherwise get sold intact to a wanting collector?  It's like the ivory trade - I'd hate to encourage it.
In a way, no, you don't encourage it.  You didn't buy the connectors with a "ships in 10 days", which gives someone time to go out and *kill* the elephant.  Those connectors are going to be there anyway.

But on the flip side, if I keep using the connector I started with then it's a whole lot easier on me.
  The best bet it seems would be to use one of those Amphenol Series 26-4200 connectors mentioned They omit the alignment/polarity pins of the 4100 used in the Tek plugins.  But I note that they are about double the price of the used 16 pin 4100 male on e-bay.   Arg.  It costs a lot of money to be ethical!
If it's ethical, where did the used connectors come from?

At least, they're not in a landfill...

Harvey