Topics

Tek 24xx calibration -- How to store constants before finishing the entire procedure

Rogerio O

Dear all,
I have read somewhere on this forum what is necessary to do in order to store the calibration constants without finishing all the calibration steps.

However I have spent more that an hour searching for this information and I did not find it, so I decided to ask this specific question again so me and other members would be able to find the answer quickly.

I have calibrated one 2465B a long time ago and I remember that it took the entire day since I had to go though some step many time until I get it right.
Sine I no longer have such long time available without disturbances, my plan is to execute one step and store the constants so I can stop the work without loosing the previous work.

Thank you

Roger

Chuck Harris

Calibration constants are stored as you work through the various
stages of the major calibration steps. The checksums are done in
blocks at the end of the major calibration steps (eg. CAL01, CAL02,
CAL 03...).

Not finishing a major calibration step will always cause a failed
calibration indication. So, always do all of CAL01, then all of
CAL 02... You can stop after you complete such a major calibration
step.

Tektronix had no desire for you to only do a single stage in a
major calibration step. That would be shoddy work. They wanted
you to do the full calibration.

If you have suitable calibration equipment, it should only take you
a little over an hour to do a complete calibration. The biggest
time suck in the whole process is transient calibration...

-Chuck Harris

Rogerio O wrote:

Dear all,
I have read somewhere on this forum what is necessary to do in order to store the calibration constants without finishing all the calibration steps.

However I have spent more that an hour searching for this information and I did not find it, so I decided to ask this specific question again so me and other members would be able to find the answer quickly.

I have calibrated one 2465B a long time ago and I remember that it took the entire day since I had to go though some step many time until I get it right.
Sine I no longer have such long time available without disturbances, my plan is to execute one step and store the constants so I can stop the work without loosing the previous work.

Thank you

Roger

Jean-Paul

Chuck 100% perfect, but your one hour cal time is because you have every correct test fixture and generator, and have done 1000s of them!

A newcomer will be sure to have issues and need some hours IF he has the TEK CAL units.

If he is doing a CAL without the TEK recommended lab, expect long time.

Transient is indeed the most challenging!

Jon

Rogerio O

Thank you for the replies.
I have used a TG501, PG506 and a SG503 to execute the cal procedure.
But as have been pointed out by Jean-Paul, I find the text describing some of the step quite confusing.
I will execute all the steps, of course, but not all in one day.
So that is why I would like to save the constsnts after finishing CAL01, then stop for the day (this is s big one).
Than CAL02 and maybe CAL03, and stop again.

Chuck Harris

The calibration routines automatically save the steps
when you finish a large step, like CAL01, or CAL02...

If you don't finish all of the steps in such a large
step, like CAL01, the calibration will get stored, but
it will also be stored with a flag that tells the
calibration isn't valid.

-Chuck Harris

Rogerio O wrote:

Thank you for the replies.
I have used a TG501, PG506 and a SG503 to execute the cal procedure.
But as have been pointed out by Jean-Paul, I find the text describing some of the step quite confusing.
I will execute all the steps, of course, but not all in one day.
So that is why I would like to save the constsnts after finishing CAL01, then stop for the day (this is s big one).
Than CAL02 and maybe CAL03, and stop again.

Gif Sim

chuck also for the tds700 series the same rule applies?
if I start the calibration and I don't choose "run full sequence" but I select "select sequence" but still respect all the steps from 1 to 11 is the calibration valid?
thanks
simon

Chuck Harris

I have never calibrated a TDS series scope, so I have
no idea of what they do.

Usually, the manual will give a pretty good outline of
the rules in the calibration or adjustments section.

-Chuck Harris

Gif Sim via groups.io wrote:

chuck also for the tds700 series the same rule applies?
if I start the calibration and I don't choose "run full sequence" but I select "select sequence" but still respect all the steps from 1 to 11 is the calibration valid?
thanks
simon

Gif Sim

thanks chuck

sorry for the off-topic

.... unfortunately I have some doubts .... the manual is poor in the calibration section

regards
simon

Rogerio O

Thank you Chuck,

The calibration routines automatically save the steps
when you finish a large step, like CAL01, or CAL02...
I had not understand this way from the post I have read.
If I recall correctly they said that one should cycle to all the call steps until the last one otherwise the calibration constants would not be stored.

Now the information is clear and registered here for me and other readers of the forum.