TEK 2215A info


Maurizio IZ1MDJ
 

I am looking for information about a TEKTRONIX model 2215A oscilloscope.
It is an analog oscilloscope with digital memory and I have not found any information on the TekWiki site.
In particular I am interested in the use and service manuals.
I uploaded a photo of the scope on TEK2215A album
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Maurizio IZ1MDJ


satbeginner
 


Mlynch001
 

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:


I am looking for information about a TEKTRONIX model 2215A oscilloscope.
It is an analog oscilloscope with digital memory and I have not found any
information on the TekWiki site.
In particular I am interested in the use and service manuals.
I have a 2215A. The 2215A is not a digital memory scope that I know of, it is a simple analog design. 2215A is an improved version of the original 2215. The manuals you want are indeed listed on Tekwiki140. Here is the page link: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2215#Links

Schematic and operators manuals are there as well.

Have fun.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR


satbeginner
 

I have a 2215A myself, and that one is purely analog.

I've never seen a 2215A with the addition 'Storage'...

My guess: it has an analog storage CRT...

Leo


Maurizio IZ1MDJ
 

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 09:32 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:


On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:


I am looking for information about a TEKTRONIX model 2215A oscilloscope.
It is an analog oscilloscope with digital memory and I have not found any
information on the TekWiki site.
In particular I am interested in the use and service manuals.
I have a 2215A. The 2215A is not a digital memory scope that I know of, it is
a simple analog design. 2215A is an improved version of the original 2215.
The manuals you want are indeed listed on Tekwiki140. Here is the page link:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2215#Links

Schematic and operators manuals are there as well.

Have fun.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR
If you take a look at the picture of the scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the memory control pusbutton in the front panel
Maurizio IZ1MDJ


Bert Haskins
 

On 3/28/2021 4:15 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:
On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 09:32 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:

I am looking for information about a TEKTRONIX model 2215A oscilloscope.
It is an analog oscilloscope with digital memory and I have not found any
information on the TekWiki site.
In particular I am interested in the use and service manuals.
I have a 2215A. The 2215A is not a digital memory scope that I know of, it is
a simple analog design. 2215A is an improved version of the original 2215.
The manuals you want are indeed listed on Tekwiki140. Here is the page link:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2215#Links

Schematic and operators manuals are there as well.

Have fun.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR
If you take a look at the picture of the scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the memory control pusbutton in the front panel
Maurizio IZ1MDJ
What do you think is the "memory control pusbutton"?





Maurizio IZ1MDJ
 

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 10:19 PM, Bert Haskins wrote:



On 3/28/2021 4:15 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:
On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 09:32 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:

I am looking for information about a TEKTRONIX model 2215A oscilloscope.
It is an analog oscilloscope with digital memory and I have not found any
information on the TekWiki site.
In particular I am interested in the use and service manuals.
I have a 2215A. The 2215A is not a digital memory scope that I know of, it
is
a simple analog design. 2215A is an improved version of the original 2215.
The manuals you want are indeed listed on Tekwiki140. Here is the page
link:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2215#Links

Schematic and operators manuals are there as well.

Have fun.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR
If you take a look at the picture of the scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the memory control pusbutton in the front
panel
Maurizio IZ1MDJ
What do you think is the "memory control pusbutton"?





At the left upper side of the front panel , up the orizzontal position control .
Did you saw the picture ?
Maurizio


Michael W. Lynch
 

If you take a look at the picture of the scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the memory control pusbutton in the front panel

I had some trouble opening the picture on my phone. Finally got it to open but it was never clear enough to read the fine details, but obvious that it is a storage scope of some sort. That is a very unusual scope. I have never seen a 2215 or 2215A with storage. Mine looks like that with the exception of the “storage” feature. I learned something new today. Interested to learn more about the scope. Thanks for sharing.

Michael Lynch

From My I-Phone

mlynch003@yahoo.com

479-477-1115

On Mar 28, 2021, at 3:15 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ <redifon500@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 09:32 PM, Mlynch001 wrote:


On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 01:32 PM, Maurizio IZ1MDJ wrote:


I am looking for information about a TEKTRONIX model 2215A oscilloscope.
It is an analog oscilloscope with digital memory and I have not found any
information on the TekWiki site.
In particular I am interested in the use and service manuals.
I have a 2215A. The 2215A is not a digital memory scope that I know of, it is
a simple analog design. 2215A is an improved version of the original 2215.
The manuals you want are indeed listed on Tekwiki140. Here is the page link:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2215#Links

Schematic and operators manuals are there as well.

Have fun.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR
If you take a look at the picture of the scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the memory control pusbutton in the front panel
Maurizio IZ1MDJ




--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR


Mlynch001
 

If you take a look at the picture of the >scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the >memory control pusbutton in the front >panel
I had some trouble opening the picture on my phone. Finally got it to open but it was never clear enough to read the fine details, but obvious that it is a storage scope of some sort. That is a very unusual scope. I have never seen a 2215 or 2215A with storage. Mine looks like that with the exception of the “storage” feature. I learned something new today. Interested to learn more about the scope. Thanks for sharing.


--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR


Roy Morgan
 

Scope folks,

This is all very mysterious to me. In neither the actual Tek 2215A scope I have here, nor in any of the pictures at https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/2215 do I see any button marked “Storage”.

Would someone please post links to the pictures that may show such a thing, or to the “Gallery” that may?

Thank you.
Yours in Bafflement,

Roy


On Mar 28, 2021, at 4:44 PM, Mlynch001 <mlynch002@gmail.com> wrote:

If you take a look at the picture of the >scope in the gallery ( as I wrote )
you can see that the scope has the >memory control pusbutton in the front >panel
I had some trouble opening the picture on my phone. Finally got it to open but it was never clear enough to read the fine details, but obvious that it is a storage scope of some sort. That is a very unusual scope. I have never seen a 2215 or 2215A with storage. Mine looks like that with the exception of the “storage” feature. I learned something new today. Interested to learn more about the scope. Thanks for sharing.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@gmail.com
Western Mass


satbeginner
 

Pictures of the mysterious 2215A storage:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=262340


Roy Morgan
 

Ah THANK you. Now I see the fuzzy presence of the word “Storage” three buttons.

The mystery continues.

Roy

On Mar 28, 2021, at 5:28 PM, satbeginner <castellcorunas@gmail.com> wrote:

Pictures of the mysterious 2215A storage:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=262340
Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@gmail.com
Western Mass


 

Maurizio,

Could you post a clearer picture of this scope? If possible, could you also post a picture of the rear panel of the scope? This is indeed a mystery, but we must believe the evidence of our eyes.

I will look through the Tek catalogs to see if any such scope was ever mentioned.

-- Jeff Dutky


Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>
 

Yep, I saw the pictures, but I am not buying it.

Tektronix catalogs don't show a 2215A with memory.

Not 1985, nor 1986, which were the only two years the
2215A appeared in the catalogs.

I am pretty sure that your scope is a modification made
to a 2215A, at a much later time.

It will take more than an illegibly fuzzy front panel
picture to make me believe that tektronix made that
modification.

It's time for some scope porn.

-Chuck Harris


On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 13:24:59 -0700 "Maurizio IZ1MDJ"
<redifon500@gmail.com> wrote:

At the left upper side of the front panel , up the orizzontal
position control .
Did you saw the picture ?
Maurizio


 

Maurizio,

I was not able to find any reference to a "2215A storage" scope, or a storage option for the 2215A, in the Tek catalogs between 1985 (the first year that the 2215A was offered) and 1986 (the last year that the 2215A appeared in the catalog, damn that was a short run) on the TekWiki site. Of course this doesn't mean very much since I am similarly unable to find any catalog entry for the 463, yet there is photographic evidence of its existence on TekWiki.

Is this scope in your possession? If so it would be nice if we could get detailed photographs of the interior and circuit boards so that a page could be added to the TekWiki. We might also be able to tell something about it's date of manufacture from high resolution images of the circuit boards (either from copyright dates on the boards, or from date codes on the components).

-- Jeff Dutky


Ed Breya
 

It may be a prototype of a DSO version, like the 2230 family. If so, it would likely have been developed in Hoddesdon, UK, circa 1989. If it became an official product, it would have had a whole new model designation in the 2200 series. Look at the 2200 series for something similar - it may be it, or close enough to have useful manuals etc.

Ed


 

Ed,

From the posted picture, this unit appears to have a serial number (20?25?). Would a prototype get a serial number?

-- Jeff Dutky


Maurizio IZ1MDJ
 

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 07:00 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:


Maurizio,

I was not able to find any reference to a "2215A storage" scope, or a storage
option for the 2215A, in the Tek catalogs between 1985 (the first year that
the 2215A was offered) and 1986 (the last year that the 2215A appeared in the
catalog, damn that was a short run) on the TekWiki site. Of course this
doesn't mean very much since I am similarly unable to find any catalog entry
for the 463, yet there is photographic evidence of its existence on TekWiki.

Is this scope in your possession? If so it would be nice if we could get
detailed photographs of the interior and circuit boards so that a page could
be added to the TekWiki. We might also be able to tell something about it's
date of manufacture from high resolution images of the circuit boards (either
from copyright dates on the boards, or from date codes on the components).

-- Jeff Dutky
I uploaded few pictures of the storage board and the switching the signal inside the scope.
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=262340
Maurizio IZ1MDJ


 

Hi,
I agree with Ed, looks like a prototype or maybe a custom model for a customer. Could this be the only one of its type? Does the storage board look similar to any other 22xx boards?

Maurizio,
Where did you obtain the scope from, did the previous owner have any info on its history?

Regards,
John


Michael W. Lynch
 

Looking at the photographs of the boards it is apparent that this was a serious effort, not a hack job. The date codes on the IC's are all generally from 1984 -1985, so that is period correct. The construction quality is very good, looks like something TEK would do. As everyone states, there is no reference in the catalogs of such a scope. So this is one of those mysteries that comes along from time to time. Strange that someone would spend this much time, effort and money to modify a low end scope, but again, they built some T900 storage scopes as well. Indeed a very interesting piece of history. Needs to be investigated and preserved. Surely in the running for the rarest 22xx series scope?

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR