Topics

Tek 2215

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:45:46 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:
On 26 Jan 2016 09:12:17 -0800, you wrote:

Have you guys seen this ??

Mod Kits, Parts Replacement Kits and other documents http://hakanh.com/dl/kits.htm

http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/050-2242-03.pdf
http://www.hakanh.com/dl/docs/troubleshooting_tips_on_2200_ps.pdf
http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/040-1099-00.pdf
http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/045-0034-00.pdf
I have but last time I looked the actual PDF files were not linked; it
was just a list.

"This modification kit contains the parts and instructions for
installing a fan system [into] a standard 7603 Oscilloscope. The fan
provides cooling for improved reliability, especially when high power
consumption plug-ins are used in the mainframe."

That's the fan I have! 7603 fan mystery solved!
The links are definitely new. I was looking for some of these documents
last year and found the page but it was just a list of document ids and
descriptions then.

Unfortunately I'm unable to open any of the files I've downloaded from
there. Both of my PDF readers are saying they are encrypted and require a
password.
I ran a test and have the same problem if I use Adobe Acrobat version
8.0 (the one I have currently installed) however I normally use Foxit
Reader version 4.3.1.0323 (an old one because later versions remove
features and screw up Windows) and it just reports that the documents
are secured meaning I cannot use copy/paste.

If needed I can go through and "fix" the PDF files and make them
available as a torrent.

I do not know why people bother setting the security on Adobe PDF
files like this. It is just annoying and makes them more difficult to
use.

Tothwolf

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Dwayne Verhey tekscopes@... [TekScopes] wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Tothwolf tothwolf@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Unfortunately I'm unable to open any of the files I've downloaded from there. Both of my PDF readers are saying they are encrypted and require a password.
Interesting. PDFProtection Manager can't access them either.

However, they will open just fine in FireFox's PDF viewer. From there I was able to print to PDF (using cutepdfwriter) and the resulting file opened quite cheerfully in Acrobat.
It looks like they were created with Acrobat X and use the encrypted PDF-1.7 format so older Adobe and non-Adobe PDF software can't open them.

John Clark

I tried one with Foxit 7.2.8.1124 and was able to print to CutePDF.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:08:19 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:

I would go over it with a soldering iron after lightly sanding the
surfaces. Assuming that you can remove it easily from the printed
circuit board, dilute HCl can be used if wetting is a problem.
I've thought about tinning the brackets with Sn-Pb, but I'm not really
sure I want to put a thick coating of solder on them. I own several solder
pots, so it would be pretty trivial to clean the surface, coat with liquid
flux and then dip each bracket in one of the pots.
I would make the coating as thin as possible which is easy to do with
a soldering iron but a solder pot would be even better.

I have occasionally done this to the leads of ICs removed from a
printed circuit board. I add a bit of solder to both sides of all of
the leads by running the iron quickly back and forth and then use
solder wick to remove all of the excess. They come out looking almost
new and sometimes better than from the factory.

I would be prepared for poor wetting if the shield is steel but since
it is already tin plated, that may not be a problem.

Given the high voltage components directly next to the bracket and that
tin whisker growth seems to be more common around high voltage and high
frequency components, that bracket probably should have never been plated
with pure tin anyway. I think the bracket really should have been nickel
plated from the factory, and was probably only tin plated for cost
savings, so I think the most correct thing to do though, would be to
replate it with nickel.
I would be more proactive than usual in fixing this since it is in
proximity to high voltage high impedance circuits.

That said, I noticed the same problem in my Simpson 464 meters with
brackets nowhere near any high voltage. The two brackets in each of my 464
meters which join the LED display board to the main board at a right angle
are absolutely covered with long tiny tin whiskers. Whatever I end up
doing with the focus control brackets in my 2213 scopes I will likely also
do to the display mounting brackets in the 464s.
I have not run across tin whiskers in a Tektronix instrument yet. Now
I know to be alert for it.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:35:58 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Dwayne Verhey tekscopes@... [TekScopes] wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Tothwolf tothwolf@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Unfortunately I'm unable to open any of the files I've downloaded from
there. Both of my PDF readers are saying they are encrypted and require
a password.
Interesting. PDFProtection Manager can't access them either.

However, they will open just fine in FireFox's PDF viewer. From there I
was able to print to PDF (using cutepdfwriter) and the resulting file
opened quite cheerfully in Acrobat.
It looks like they were created with Acrobat X and use the encrypted
PDF-1.7 format so older Adobe and non-Adobe PDF software can't open them.
I wonder why Foxit does not have any problems then other than the
stupid "secured" restrictions.

The links are definitely new. I was looking for some of these documents
>last year and found the page but it was just a list of document ids and
>descriptions then.

>Unfortunately I'm unable to open any of the files I've downloaded from
>there. Both of my PDF readers are saying they are encrypted and require a
>password.

First of all it was not just a list before. At the bottom of the document was a text saying that I would send
any of these document by email on request. The reasons for having it like that was primarily limited space
on the server but also I was curious about how many people wanted them.

Secondly the documents were all made with Acrobat 9. And yes they are password protected but not to open
just to change. The reason for that is that I want to preserve the watermarks to make it a little more unlikely
that the document will show up for sale on eBay which has happened before with "Troubleshooting Your Oscilloscope" which was the first document I posted and it was unprotected without watermarks.

/Hakan

Torch Fireman

Hakan,-

I understand your motives, but even though the "open" password was not set, the encryption was preventing opening of the file, at least on older readers.

PDF locking and security have always been a bit of a joke. I posted one way to remove your security earlier. This website: http://www.pdfunlock.com/ removes all protections as well. There are numerous paid software packages that will remove the open password, cracking even 256 bit AES encryption (although that may take days on a home computer).

In short, the old adage "a padlock only keeps out the honest man" applies to PDF security as well.

(snip)
Secondly the documents were all made with Acrobat 9. And yes they are
password protected but not to open
just to change. The reason for that is that I want to preserve the
watermarks to make it a little more unlikely
that the document will show up for sale on eBay which has happened
before with "Troubleshooting Your Oscilloscope" which was the first document I posted >and it was unprotected without watermarks.

Siggi

Hey HÃ¥kan,

The Chrome PDF viewer is unable to cope with these PDFs, as is iBooks.
By locking the files down this way, you essentially force their unlocking
and re-hosting, because as-is, they're unreadable to a large fraction of
the devices people use.
This probably goes the opposite to what you intended, but there you are.

PS: many thanks for all the docs and help you've provided.

Siggi

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 at 07:27 Dwayne Verhey tekscopes@... [TekScopes]
<TekScopes@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay

@Hakan

Thanks for storing those manuals and I have no plans on selling them .. My plans right now are to right down each part number for the Tek 2213 &2215 scope in each parts kits in order to help everyone else out .
I know 1 transistor is a custom made part for tek scopes ..Oh is there any other parts kits ???

Like this one
Tek Part# 151-0852-00
50v,150ma,200mw Inverter
The part I cam up with is a
SJE6447 part

Jay

Update
I have decoded all the part numbers for the kit below..
050-2242-03 http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/050-2242-03.pdf
2213, 2213 opt 48, 2213A, 2215,
2215 opt 48, 2215A, 2235, 2236
Q935, Q946, Q947 or Q9070 replacement
Q933, Q935, Q940, Q942 in 2213 and 2215

I am missing one, which is (119-3511-00 Diode/resistor network) and I can't find any information about it ..
The 151-0852-00 transistor was custom made by On Semiconductors(Will try to find alternative if possible)...

I will post pdf later with tek part# to actual part for repair and can someone help with the diode/resistor network and custom transistor replacement ??

Thanks

Tom Jobe <tomjobe@...>

Here's a link to a document I posted some years back.
It shows what parts I found that worked in some of these 22xx scopes.
tom jobe...

On 1/27/2016 10:55 AM, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Update
I have decoded all the part numbers for the kit below..
050-2242-03 http://hakanh.com/dl/docs/kitinstructions/050-2242-03.pdf
2213, 2213 opt 48, 2213A, 2215,
2215 opt 48, 2215A, 2235, 2236
Q935, Q946, Q947 or Q9070 replacement
Q933, Q935, Q940, Q942 in 2213 and 2215

I am missing one, which is (119-3511-00 Diode/resistor network) and I
can't find any information about it ..
The 151-0852-00 transistor was custom made by On Semiconductors(Will
try to find alternative if possible)...

I will post pdf later with tek part# to actual part for repair and can
someone help with the diode/resistor network and custom transistor
replacement ??

Thanks

Jay

Tothwolf

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Here are the pics of the scope as requested
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/nucklehead_2006/media/20160201_135820_zps1bizbipb.jpg.html
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/nucklehead_2006/media/20160201_135837_zpsewy2peij.jpg.html
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/nucklehead_2006/media/20160201_135828_zpsgscrxoml.jpg.html
Your 2215 is an earlier version with the current limiter board vs the later 2213/2215 scopes with a preregulator board. If you compare your 2215 against the photos of my 2213 scopes, you can see the major changes to the power supply section of the main board and the additional preregulator board. http://strudel.ignorelist.com/~tothwolf/photos/Tektronix_2213/

The vertically mounted board in front of the switching power supply section is the dual timebase board for the 2215.

Because of the different power supply, some of the parts for your 2215 are going to be different from what I sourced for my 2213 scopes. About 2/3 of it will be the same so I'll see about compiling a list from my various spreadsheets. When I repaired my 2213 scopes, I used Nichicon HE series parts for the secondary filter capacitors. If I were going to source parts today, I might consider using PM series instead for some of them since the physically larger PM parts would probably have a higher ripple current rating.

Jay

Thanks for the info ..
Was this a good buy or a waste ?? You mentioned a earlier design is this a good or bad thing and can it be improved ??

Jay

Jay

Does anyone know where I can get a power supply upgrade kit ???

At this point I think only from a 2213 or 2215 parts donor.

In case you missed it, document 045-0034-00 (located at the following
link) shows all of the parts needed and steps to add option 48 to a
2213 or 2215. The modifications are more extensive than just swapping
the preregulator board for the current limit board.

http://www.hakanh.com/dl/kits.htm

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 21:40:50 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, jasontucker70@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Because of the different power supply, some of the parts for your 2215 are
going to be different from what I sourced for my 2213 scopes. About 2/3
of it will be the same so I'll see about compiling a list from my various
spreadsheets. When I repaired my 2213 scopes, I used Nichicon HE series
parts for the secondary filter capacitors. If I were going to source parts
today, I might consider using PM series instead for some of them since the
physically larger PM parts would probably have a higher ripple current
rating.
When using a physically smaller series of aluminum electrolytic
capacitors, some or all of the size difference contributing to a lower
ripple current rating can be made up for by using a higher voltage
part which will be physically larger. This works up to about 100
volts because at about 160 volts, the electrolyte will be different
and there is a jump to a higher ESR and lower ripple current rating.

Jay

I understand the evolment in the power supply upgrade.. Does anyone know the output voltages and current of the power supply upgrade pcb cause I was was thinking about maybe making my very own ps pcb... I have read tgey both have their problems and my ps have alot of caps in the stock configuration and not sure whether to leave stock and install the transitor and trigger mods or upgrade everything????
What do you guys think ??

This can definitely be done and may even be preferable; just drive the
inverter across C937 with about 42.5 volts. In practice you will want
to adjust the voltage to a point above where Q940 and Q942 dropout but
that is easy enough to do. I would probably raise the voltage until
the bases of Q948 and Q954 are equal showing that it is barely
regulating, and then raise the voltage another 3 volts or so.

The specifications for the oscilloscope say it draws a maximum of 50
watts so assuming 85% efficient for the preregulator, the inverter
will be drawing about 1 amp. Naturally you will want to use a power
supply with a higher power rating.

Maybe something like one of these 1.6 amp supplies with a voltage
adjustment range of 42 to 54 volts assuming it will fit:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/LRS-75-48/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsPs3th5F8koMf%2fa2V0paI9itnMUV014SIfnc4CbtW0pg%3d%3d
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/RS-75-48/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsPs3th5F8koAOKs67AukcKh8iUFuyWgv4%3d
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TDK-Lambda/LS75-48/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsPs3th5F8koGu8EUi%252bGg%252brgbtQzGPHfsQ%3d

I would change all of the aluminum electrolytics capacitors no matter
what course you decide to take.