Tek 1503C: Display backlight issues

Bruce Lane

Fellow Tekkies,

I'm on the tail end of my annual run to the Bay Area, and one of my acquisitions is a Tek 1503C TDR. The unit's in outstanding electrical/cosmetic condition, and even has a good battery pack. Only problem is, the display backlight has gone out.

From what I've already found, online, this particular instrument uses EL paneling for the backlight. I can probably replace or repair what's in there, but I'm wondering if anyone's experimented with any other kind of repair/retrofit (LEDs, perhaps?)

In either case -- Repair suggestions and sources for parts would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Bruce,

Replacing the backlight is apparently easy. Here is an entire thread discussing the topic https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/topic/83184585#183313

The web interface for Groups.io provides an excellent search feature, and this thread is the only hit for “1503 backlight” https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/search?q=1503+backlight

— Jeff Dutky