TDS-540B Repair?

Christopher Maness

The CRT went intermittent with brightness and vertical spread last week. I put it in my car hopping that a friend of mine would take a look at it. He did not want to bother, so it rode around in my car in the heat. The hot bumpy car ride seems to have fixed it at least temporarily, so it could be something simple like card contacts a little dirty. It also took an ESD hit on channel 1. The channel still works, but is no longer high impedance. Was wondering if there is a good tech in the SoCal area. If not, I am willing to box it up and send it to one based on recommendations.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Stephen Hanselman

Buy the LCD replacement soooo much easier.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Jul 12, 2021, at 05:13, Christopher Maness <christopher.maness@gmail.com> wrote:

The CRT went intermittent with brightness and vertical spread last week. I put it in my car hopping that a friend of mine would take a look at it. He did not want to bother, so it rode around in my car in the heat. The hot bumpy car ride seems to have fixed it at least temporarily, so it could be something simple like card contacts a little dirty. It also took an ESD hit on channel 1. The channel still works, but is no longer high impedance. Was wondering if there is a good tech in the SoCal area. If not, I am willing to box it up and send it to one based on recommendations.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Christopher Maness

Thanks, I did not know such a thing existed. Linky?

Chris KQ6UP

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 7:23 AM Stephen Hanselman <kc4sw.io@kc4sw.com> wrote:

[...]

The fact that heat and vibration "cured" the CRT issues suggests a bad solder joint or connector contact, so that should be eminently repairable. You might even be able to fix it merely by careful disassembly and reassembly with cleaning of all contacts with IPA. The dead high impedance on channel 1 may be a bit more work, but I expect it's down to replacement of a now shorted component early in the input channel. I see from the TekWiki that the TDS540 is all SMD construction, so it's not easy work for people with failing eyesight and shaking hands.

The display appears to be a regular raster display, not a traditional electrostatic deflection CRT, so replacement with an LCD does seem like an excellent option.

-- Jeff Dutky

Harvey White

The display is a standard magnetically deflected monitor.

There are some tricks if you have some shaky hands, and that's to do what artists do, which is a palm or wrist rest while working.

Harvey

On 7/12/2021 11:29 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:
The fact that heat and vibration "cured" the CRT issues suggests a bad solder joint or connector contact, so that should be eminently repairable. You might even be able to fix it merely by careful disassembly and reassembly with cleaning of all contacts with IPA. The dead high impedance on channel 1 may be a bit more work, but I expect it's down to replacement of a now shorted component early in the input channel. I see from the TekWiki that the TDS540 is all SMD construction, so it's not easy work for people with failing eyesight and shaking hands.

The display appears to be a regular raster display, not a traditional electrostatic deflection CRT, so replacement with an LCD does seem like an excellent option.

-- Jeff Dutky

Tam Hanna

I cannot praise Jay Walling enough for the work he did on our Danaher TDS754D. The unit has survived a move from Bratislava to Budapest and still works like a champ.

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 19k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Stephen Hanselman

http://www.simmconnlabs.com/2001/2094.html Is the company I use. I’ve done just over a dozen all worked great.

My only issue was the first TDS-540C I did, I think (yup I forgot) that the instructions told me to leave the old glass off. Looked a bit tacky so when I did my personal one I modified the support frame, cutting and placing padding) so I could leave the glare cutting glass in place. Looks better and works fine..

If you happen to have a 8566 the mod gets you a slightly bigger screen but you have to exchange the bezel Assembly. A little extra on this one, the old astigmatism control now switch’s the display through 4 color formats.

These are great mods can’t say enough good things!

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Jul 12, 2021, at 07:42, Christopher Maness <christopher.maness@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Roy Thistle

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 02:33 PM, Stephen Hanselman wrote:

These are great mods
Yes, but pricey... they're called "NewScope LCD kit"
For the price, I'd rather get "Another Scope Kit"... and take the parts from that mule.
But if money is no object... go for it.
They have kits for HP scopes too.
--
Roy Thistle

Jim Ford

Another issue is space.  Sure, I'd love to have multiple parts mules for every piece of gear I own, but where the hell would I put it all?  Property values are so high here in Southern California that most of us don't have much of it.  OTOH, a new LCD replacement for a CRT would take up zero extra space.             Jim Ford  Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@mail.utoronto.ca> Date: 7/12/21 2:48 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] TDS-540B Repair? On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 02:33 PM, Stephen Hanselman wrote:>> These are great mods>Yes, but pricey... they're called "NewScope LCD kit" For the price, I'd rather get "Another Scope Kit"... and take the parts from that mule.But if money is no object... go for it.They have kits for HP scopes too.-- Roy Thistle

Christopher Maness

I borrowed my friends scope in the meantime. It is a small LCD. It is
cool, but feels like a downgrade in quality of the scope. I love the
precision of the 540.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 3:11 PM Jim Ford <james.ford@cox.net> wrote:

[...]

Yes they are pricey, but the kit is well built with excellent instructions. Their display is a bit sharper than the CRT especially when the CRT is in decline.

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC