Topics

TDS794D with broken Hard drive

Holger Lübben

Hi!

I have a TDS794D with a dead Hard Disk.

The original drive is a 3.2GB Fujitsu MHD2032AT with an IDE interface.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a modern replacement?
What is the maximum capacity that can be installed?

Holger

Valentin

Hi.
Compact Flash Card Industrial Grade:
https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-701
and
CF to 2.5’’ IDE adapter like this:
https://www.ebay.com/c/1939054857

Best regards,
Valentin

21 июля 2020 г., в 22:06, Holger Lübben <tekscopesinput@...> написал(а):

Hi!

I have a TDS794D with a dead Hard Disk.

The original drive is a 3.2GB Fujitsu MHD2032AT with an IDE interface.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a modern replacement?
What is the maximum capacity that can be installed?

Holger

DaveC <davec2468@...>

IDE to SATA adapter? That would give you a better selection of drive options. No increase (a la SATA) in speed, though.

Dave

On Jul 21, 2020, at 2:07 PM, Valentin <val72ua@...> wrote:

Hi.
Compact Flash Card Industrial Grade:
https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-701
and
CF to 2.5’’ IDE adapter like this:
https://www.ebay.com/c/1939054857

Best regards,
Valentin

21 июля 2020 г., в 22:06, Holger Lübben <tekscopesinput@...> написал(а):

Hi!

I have a TDS794D with a dead Hard Disk.

The original drive is a 3.2GB Fujitsu MHD2032AT with an IDE interface.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a modern replacement?
What is the maximum capacity that can be installed?

Holger

Reginald Beardsley

I've got a similar size (2-6 GB) IDE drive you can have for shipping, however, I'm in the US, so it may not be worthwhile. When I swap drives I put the old ones in trays so I can swap them. I've got a couple dozen with various operating systems on them (Plan 9 anyone?). I rarely use the small ones now as nothing will fit on them.

Reg

Holger Lübben

Hi dave and Valentin,
Both tipps sound like a good improvement.
Do you know the maximum capacity which will be accepted by the scope?

Holger

Holger Lübben

Hi Reginald,
Thanks for your generous offer. But you're right - it's not woth to ship them over the Atlantic ;-)

Holger

Reginald Beardsley

I mainly posted to the list as a heads up to anyone else who needs one.

Good luck,
Reg

Holger Lübben

Based on the suggestion I picked up a CF card with an CF to IDE adapter.
For the first tests I took the cheapest card and adapter I could get. And they work perfectly.
The adapter has to be configured as "Master" and the card has to be formatted as FAT16. This limits the maximum capacity to somewhere around 4GB.
I've added a picture of the result to the photo album of this group.

The next step is to get one of those adapters in the formfactor of a 2.5" hdd and maybe a more professional card. This will the modification more easily.

I'll post the progress here and on tekwiki.

Holger

Martin Hodge

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 06:56 AM, Holger Lübben wrote:

Based on the suggestion I picked up a CF card with an CF to IDE adapter.
For the first tests I took the cheapest card and adapter I could get. And they
work perfectly.
The adapter has to be configured as "Master" and the card has to be formatted
as FAT16. This limits the maximum capacity to somewhere around 4GB.
I've added a picture of the result to the photo album of this group.

The next step is to get one of those adapters in the formfactor of a 2.5" hdd
and maybe a more professional card. This will the modification more easily.

I'll post the progress here and on tekwiki.

Holger

I'm interested in that Gotek adapter you have installed. Is there a specific model to look for or did you 3d print it?

Holger Lübben

Hi!

3D printing is mostly correct...

I've documented the conversation here:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TDS420

My TDS420A was equipped with a normal sized floppy drive including an L-shaped plastic adapter on one side. So the Gotek drive could be installed without any additional work.
My new scope didn't have this adapter. So I made a little corner piece to fill the gap.