Topics

TDS784D with faint display and blurry image

Rogerio O

Dear all,
I have bought a TDS784D at Ebay some time ago and had no time to test it.
When I finally had time to turn it on, I realized that the display is very faint and the image is out of focus.
The intensity adjustment available on the menu is already at 100%.
I found a very brief adjustment instruction in the service manual and I fumbled on the pots ( after taking a long time to find them) but they seem to be arranged in a different order than the one described on the manual.
There is a list of the appropriate voltages to the display module on the display troubleshooting section and all of them are ok.
I found one person on Ebay selling a new display module and he mentions that there is a time consuming adjustment procedure for this module, but I could not find it anywhere.
I have uploaded one photo of the menu screen to show how out of focus the display is (the file is TDS784D dim display).
My questions are:
1 - Where can I find a detailed adjustment procedure for the display module?
2 - Is there a way to check if the problem is the CRT being "exausted"?
3 - There is a company offering the NewScope-T1 Color LCD replacement Kit as a replacement. is this a good alternate in case I need to replace the CRT?

Tam Hanna

Hello,

ad a) NewScope works best, but is pricey

ad b) you can try to fit in a stink-normal VGA LCD with a small front panel. There is a VGA signal source at the back which you can dock into.

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Tam Hanna

Hello,

in case anyone wants to use JWalling's services, I made a few pictures of the installation on my TDS754D:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFmbmA6jWdq/

Sorry for praising him so much, but I am really, really happy with the work he did for me. Lovely price, perfect repair.

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Stephen Hanselman

Agreed, while it is pricy the SimmCon Labs LCD conversion is great. The only downside is the method of getting the video signals. They take a socket and you push that down onto either of two video ships. They use a dollop of silicon to hold the socket on, experience showed me the glue was required.

I’ve installed thes displays on about a dozen of our customers units and two of mine, can’t be happier

Regards,

Stephen Hanselman
Datagate Systems, LLC

On Sep 26, 2020, at 04:51, Tam Hanna <tamhan@...> wrote:

Hello,

ad a) NewScope works best, but is pricey

ad b) you can try to fit in a stink-normal VGA LCD with a small front panel. There is a VGA signal source at the back which you can dock into.

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Hello,

in case anyone wants to use JWalling's services, I made a few pictures of the installation on my TDS754D:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFmbmA6jWdq/

Sorry for praising him so much, but I am really, really happy with the work he did for me. Lovely price, perfect repair.
Hi Tam,
To be fair, I only gave you that price as I was repairing your acquisition board for memory failures. There's no way I could do the repair for that price if that were all I was doing...
Thanks for the kind words, though!

Jay

Tam Hanna

Hello Jay,
Nice to hear from you again, old coot. Was worried you closed down. Good that is not the case, just in case I ever need any more repairs done.

Either way: the Tds754D survived the trip to Budapest and is currently my main scope as the LeCroy is down for maintenance. I am a very happy camper, even though I prefer the LeCroy UX for daily work. The Danaher is fast, but highly unintuitive especially when you use FFT.

If I remember correctly, I paid like 150 USD for the memory issue and another 150 for the display. Please correct me if I am wrong.

All the best
Tam
---
With best regards
Tam HANNA (emailing on a BlackBerry PRIV)

Enjoy electronics? Join 14k other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

On 9/29/2020 11:31 AM, TekScopes@groups.io wrote:
Hello Jay,
Nice to hear from you again, old coot. Was worried you closed down. Good
that is not the case, just in case I ever need any more repairs done.

Either way: the Tds754D survived the trip to Budapest and is currently
my main scope as the LeCroy is down for maintenance. I am a very happy
camper, even though I prefer the LeCroy UX for daily work. The Danaher
is fast, but highly unintuitive especially when you use FFT.

If I remember correctly, I paid like 150 USD for the memory issue and
another 150 for the display. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Good to hear from you as well! Still around and read Tekscopes regularly, but much of it doesn't interest me as it's mostly vintage stuff. Also still buying, repairing, and re-selling scopes.

Looking through my logs for your scope SN B033408, your repair job consisted of a damaged trace in the ACQ memory array, a bad ACQ SRAM chip that was shorted internally (U409 pin A8 to pin A9), re-building all four of the attenuators, upgrading it to a TDS784D, and the LCD conversion. Total was $526.81 which I think included shipping to your drop-ship company. Still a pretty good price for what I had to do, I think.

Best regards,

Jay

Tam Hanna

Hello,

my happyness can not be described - if we ever have another such one to repair, you are the first in line on the job!

I would gladly post a promo image for you on Instagram for free. Just, scitex something "nice and rectangel", as they say...

Tam