Topics

TDS6604 Acquisition Board Replacement

guy_ellis_1964

I'm trying to restore a TDS6604 to it's former - hours of fun for the whole family!

After a few setbacks (Overheating CPU and a flat battery on the PPC board) I have the scope working 99%.
The remaining issue is a failed trigger chip on channels 1 and 2. Fortunately there is a pair of them so I could swap them and move the fault to channels 3 and 4.

It would seem that these chips are no longer available so I purchased another Acquisition board at a reasonable price from a reputable source.
I've swapped the Acq. boards but the replacement board reports error #351 on boot. When I run diagnostics / acquisition I also get a second error #372.
I really don't think the replacement Acq. is faulty as it was tagged as tested and sold as such.

Dr Google says the fix for #351 is to run SPC which I will try today.

According to the service manual a "Boot ROM and authorisation code" update is required, but there is no description on how to do this.
If anyone out there has done this replacement I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance,
- Guy.

Charlie Conger

As I recall I think the ACQ board and the computer board are "married" . I do not know how to arrange divorce and re-marry.
If your effort does not work I would change back to the original ACQ board an try to run SPC.

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Charlie,

I tried running SPC but it looks like the Acquisition board I have purchased is faulty. SPC fails and channels 3 and 4 are unstable beyond 2.5GS/s.

I might re-visit the original Acq. board - it has one faulty trigger chip which only affects channels 3 and 4.
Apparently the Tek # 156-8278-00 chips are unobtainium.

Regards,
- Guy