From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of David C.
Partridge
Sent: 10 July 2021 09:52
To: TekScopes <Tekscopes@groups.io>
Subject: [TekScopes] TDS5054B all LEDs lit, blank screen

Listed on that auction site. Is this a common problem with known fixes, or?

IOW is it worth buying of a speculative basis?

David

David Kuhn

They are very, very nice scopes, but they are not quite as easy to use as
other digital scopes. You can not always just reach up twist knobs and
what not. A mouse hooked up does help, despite the touch screen. I think
it is more of an engineering scope than an everyday troubleshooting tool.
With that said, I have one on my trouble-shooting bench (lol) and use it
all the time for that purpose. Sometimes, I am saved by the autoset button
(heh heh heh).

With mine, I replaced the internal IDE hard drives with a 500gb SATA
Samsung SSD. It works perfectly. I think I used Norton Ghost 11 (on a
Blue-Sky bootable CD) to image the original drive and put the image on to
the SSD. I also updated the processor and added more memory (although I
really don't know if Windows 2000 is using the extra ram to great effect).

I do have another TDS5054B-NV-AV that I will be putting on EBAY someday, or
selling to someone. I have not upgraded it, but it runs fine. The problem
with selling is shipping. Those things are heavy for a digital scope and
BIG. I am sure by the time I double-box it, it will be "oversized" on
UPS's web site and cost $75 to ship without insurance (maybe less, but then
the shipping supplies). People generally all think shipping is free
anymore, or probably under $20. Yea, that's why I hesitate to sell
stuff. I always get screwed paying too much to ship. Anyway, I do hate to
see it on a shelf not being used. My original thought was to have it for
parts (screen, ACQ board, MB, etc,)

Dave

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 4:54 AM David C. Partridge <
david.partridge@perdrix.co.uk> wrote:

Never mind I just noticed it's in Nigeria ...

Listed on that auction site. Is this a common problem with known fixes,
or?

IOW is it worth buying of a speculative basis?

David

David,

For almost $1000 (including shipping) there are units that are much more obviously functional on the auction site. I'm not sure why you would buy this unit at that price.

It does look like a nice scope, if you like the fly-by-wire instruments.

-- Jeff Dutky

David Kuhn

" It does look like a nice scope, if you like the fly-by-wire instruments."

It's not as easy to operate as a Siglent or Tektronix TDS3000 series. It
does have a very nice display. Even though it's Windows 2000, I've been
able to get it to see my network server so that screenshots can be saved to
a share folder to be used in a word document on my computer. It is very
fast operation, 500MHz, 5GS/S. If it was a little more intuitive, I may
have had it certified to use with calibrations I do and worked it into some
of my utility software. Right now, it impresses the heck of people seeing
it on the repair bench running. For what I use it for on the repair bench,
a cheap Siglent would work - lol. I do want to work it into my utility
software sometime. With fast 400volt pulses, it matches my TDS3054 almost
exactly voltage, Rise Time and Pulse Width. Some scope can not even match
themselves between channels.

I don't think Tek's OpenChoise software works with it for screen shots and
setup uploads. I don't know that Tek has a utility for it. If you are
looking for a more easily usable/capable scope, I can highly recommend the
TDS3000 series. I prefer the Pre-C versions of them. The TDS3000 s are so
easy just to twist knobs and use. Openchoice works well with them and they
are easy to control and get data from using VISA commands via GPIB or
NETWORK interface. The TDS5054B just has that cool factor and can make you
feel smart when you finally figure out how to tell it you are using a 100:1
probe (LOL) or just when you use it for that matter - heh heh.

I forget what I paid for them (Okay I found out $900 for one with four
brand new P5050 Scope Probes, and $540 for one with four used scope
probes). Both worked fine when I got them, but they are huge for a digital
scope.

So in summary: The cool factor is off the scale -lol, Ease of Use, below
average