Topics

TDS3052B Hour Indication

I finally found the menu path to the Hours and Power Ups registers in a new-to-me TDS3052B. 55 Power Ups are indicated, but to my surprise, 2,736,207 hours are indicated. Some quick division suggests this would amount to over 300 years.

Two things occurred to me. Perhaps the last digit reads in tenths of an hour ( I can easily check this out), or the large number is attributable to lithium cell failure in the Dallas 1742W-150 NVRAM. I know this lithium cell is depleted as the scope loses the time and date information upon turn-off. But how does it retain the power-ups and hours information?

Bruce, KG6OJI

amirb

classic symptoms of NVRAM battery on the way out.
cannot run the RTC but still has juice to keep some values.

it is also possible that somebody replaced the chip or hacked a battery on top of it and now that battery is also dying

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:16 PM, amirb wrote:

it is also possible that somebody replaced the chip or hacked a battery on top
of it and now that battery is also dying
It's also possible that those values landed in the NVRAM during a previous (battery) replacement and were never updated. AFAIK, only calibration mode allows changing those numbers.

Raymond