Topics

TDS3000B USB floppy emulator

Tom B

Hello All,

Can someone tell me which USB floppy emulator will fit and function in the TDS3000B scopes?

I found some on ebay that say they are for the TDS3000 but they are a bit pricey.

Tom Bryan
N3AJA

Geoffrey Smith

Have a look at http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

HXC may already have one or , from experience, seem happy to program one for you.

Tom B

Hello,

I looked at these.  It looks like all are SD, not USB.  I also need a 26 pin interface.  HXC did have one USB emulator with a 26 pin interface but it is USB type B.  Not quite what I want.

I did find  one on ebay for about $30US  that looks like it will fit but I don't know if it will function in the oscilloscope.

Tom

On 2/1/2020 8:03 PM, Geoffrey Smith wrote:
Have a look at https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/__;!!KfGNmQmE!1spBXzicCsUJKw4KZxEE3pSMbfpGjM0Hm2JVHq4ESgwQLxm3yt0zLa67KhdX$

HXC may already have one or , from experience, seem happy to program one for you.

-

Alexandre Souza

You can buy any gotek floppy emulator (pratically all new flloppy emulators
are gotek made/compatible) and load the flashfloppy firmware. Probably it
will work. If not you can drop a message on github or flashfloppy facebook
comunity and people will help you

---8<---Corte aqui---8<---
http://www.tabajara-labs.blogspot.com
http://www.tabalabs.com.br
---8<---Corte aqui---8<---

Em dom., 2 de fev. de 2020 às 00:15, Tom B <tbryan@...> escreveu:

Hello,

I looked at these. It looks like all are SD, not USB. I also need a 26
pin interface. HXC did have one USB emulator with a 26 pin interface
but it is USB type B. Not quite what I want.

I did find one on ebay for about $30US that looks like it will fit but
I don't know if it will function in the oscilloscope.

Tom

On 2/1/2020 8:03 PM, Geoffrey Smith wrote:
Have a look at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/__;!!KfGNmQmE!1spBXzicCsUJKw4KZxEE3pSMbfpGjM0Hm2JVHq4ESgwQLxm3yt0zLa67KhdX$

HXC may already have one or , from experience, seem happy to program one
for you.

-

Tom B

Hello,

Thank you.  I looked at several youtube videos and loading the firmware looks pretty straight forward.  I noticed that there are Gotek branded products, and I assume, there are clones from the same design.  I have not seen anyone that said which firmware works for the TDS3000 but the flashfloppy looks pretty generic.

Tom

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tabajara-labs.blogspot.com__;!!KfGNmQmE!w3lbKVHzXgsFQkTAySPtOGa8lkWAAzjuPWUIk1-ySLHuMvJN19L3cFxXqJFQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.tabalabs.com.br__;!!KfGNmQmE!w3lbKVHzXgsFQkTAySPtOGa8lkWAAzjuPWUIk1-ySLHuMvJN19L3cBHAcUwo$
---8<---Corte aqui---8<---

Em dom., 2 de fev. de 2020 às 00:15, Tom B <tbryan@...> escreveu:

David Kuhn

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOTEK-26-Pins-1-44Mb-Floppy-To-USB-Disk-Emulators-For-Barudan-Embroidery-Machine/254448239852?hash=item3b3e4c04ec:g:knMAAOSwG5td7hXh

???? I wonder if this will work with our TDS3000s? It's not hard to keep
the floppy drives working, but 3.5" disks have not been made since 2012 and
even "brand new" ones out of the box have issues. They may work fine with
the scope, but then can not be accessed with a USB-FLOPPY drive (I have
several). I have to search through a box to find a few that work with both
drives. Come to think of it, even if you let the computer re-format the
floppy, they still do not work with the three USB-Floppy drives I have. I
was quite confused if the problem was the drives or the disks. The disks,
typically, all worked with the scope's drive. I can find 3 or 4 out each
box of 20 that work with both. I may install a real 3.5" drive in my main
bench computer, but its mother board doesn't support it. So I will need a
PCB or Floppy to SATA Emulator PCB.

I use GPIB to get screen shots in to my Word Documents rather quickly, so
it is not urgent except when down-grading the scope software in order to
update the scope bandwidth and then re-upgrading the scope software again.
I used to have a lot of setups on floppy for the scopes, but I now pull the
setups off and save them to the computer with OpenChoise Desktop.

It would be nice to a USB port in the front of the scope verses the floppy,
but it's not urgent. If you try one that works, please le us all know, I
would order three drives to update my three TDS3000 scopes.

Thanks kindly,

Dave

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 10:15 PM Tom B <tbryan@...> wrote:

Hello,

I looked at these. It looks like all are SD, not USB. I also need a 26
pin interface. HXC did have one USB emulator with a 26 pin interface
but it is USB type B. Not quite what I want.

I did find one on ebay for about $30US that looks like it will fit but
I don't know if it will function in the oscilloscope.

Tom

On 2/1/2020 8:03 PM, Geoffrey Smith wrote:
Have a look at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/__;!!KfGNmQmE!1spBXzicCsUJKw4KZxEE3pSMbfpGjM0Hm2JVHq4ESgwQLxm3yt0zLa67KhdX$

HXC may already have one or , from experience, seem happy to program one
for you.

-

John Ferguson

David,

This may not be that illuminating, but my memory from the time these disks were in daily use was that there were drive differences as well as disk differences and that it was not at all certain that a particular disk could be read in nay drive.  Their were different coating formulations, ED, DD, and HD.  I suspect that the DD (Double Density) forumulation worked at 720 KB and the HD at something like 1.4 MByte.

I'm pretty sure that an HD disk will not work on a DDdrive for example.

On-topic:  My own experience with 720K 3.5 inch disks is entirely with a
Toshiba T1000 laptop computer (running DOS 2.x) that I think I purchased
around 1988.  The T1000 had/has a single 720K 3.5 inch drive, and while
it worked fine (read/write/format) with any 3.5 inch disk labeled as
"DD" (720K), it was totally unusable with any floppy labeled as "HD"
(1.44M). It would not even format an brand-new unformatted HD floppy as
a 720K disk, which surprised me.  I still have the T1000 (stored away
somewhere in a box), along with a bunch of DD 720K 3.5 inch disks.  When
I last used the T1000 (early 1990's) the DD (720K) disks had become
pretty much unobtanium; I kept all the 720K disks that I had when I
subsequently "retired" the T1000 because I figured the T1000 would be
unusable without them.  I seem to also remember that reading or writing
any 720K disk on other computer(s) with a HD (1.44M) disk drive was
"iffy" at best.

Off-topic: if anyone has managed to retrofit a T1000 with a HD drive and
is willing to share the info with me as to how it went, please contact
me directly (_not_ thru the Tekscopes user group) to share the info, at

Mike Dinolfo N4MWP

On 2/3/20 1:14 PM, John Ferguson via Groups.Io wrote:
David,

This may not be that illuminating, but my memory from the time these
disks were in daily use was that there were drive differences as well
as disk differences and that it was not at all certain that a
particular disk could be read in nay drive.  Their were different
coating formulations, ED, DD, and HD.  I suspect that the DD (Double
Density) forumulation worked at 720 KB and the HD at something like
1.4 MByte.

I'm pretty sure that an HD disk will not work on a DDdrive for example.

Holger Lübben

Hi!

I've added a Gotek Floppy Emulator to my 420A a while ago.

A short description of the process can be found on Tekwiki:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TDS420

The exact model number of the emulator was very important and it was also a little bit difficult to find the right jumper settings.

Holger

Tom B

Hello Holger,

From what I have learned, the Gotek emulators are all similar but have different firmware.  The TDS3000 series use a 26 pin interface, so the cable is a bit different from the 420A.

Did you have to change the firmware on the Gotek?

I put a new floppy drive in my TDS3044B and it tells me it has invalid media.  The same disks work fine in my TDS3012B.  So, maybe I have another problem with the floppy interface.

Tom Bryan
N3AJA

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TDS420__;!!KfGNmQmE!wN8Ltk3TxbwRZaIyPOH8iaFED41B21Z34RFv2O27dT43TyJkg7ks5iwLiVK3$

The exact model number of the emulator was very important and it was also a little bit difficult to find the right jumper settings.

Holger

Holger Lübben

Hi Tom!

My 420A also has a 26 pin interface.
I've talked to a reseller of the emulator and they gave me an overview about the different model numbers.

The main differences were:
- 26 pin or 32 pin interface
- 720KB or 1.44MB
- Accepting a generic USB Stick or accepting only preformatted sticks of the exact target size.

I needed the 26pin interface with a target size of 1.44MB and I wanted to use a generic USB stick - so I ended up with the SFR1M44-DU26.
The interface handshake of a floppy drive is a little bit different from vendor to vendor. And I had no information about how Tek implemented the interface in the 420A.
That's why I had to test several jumper configurations.

The selected emulator works perfectly in my 420A, so there was no need to touch the firmware.

Holger

Oz-in-DFW

Holger,
Which reseller did you work with?
Oz

Holger Lübben

Hi Oz!

I've checked my mails and I have to correct myself.
It was the manufacturer who answered my technical questions.
You can reach them under sales@...

They had a minimum order quantity of 10 items so at the end I bought it somewhere on aliexpress.

Holger