Topics

T0-39 to T0-92

exojam825@...

I apologize if this has been asked but I was wondering if a T0-92 cased transistor could be used in place of a T0-32 transistor.

This would be for a 465B scope.

An example of what transistor I would be inquiring about.

Q4146 Tek PN 151-0406-00
Manufacturer information 01295, SGC7212
2N5401 T0-39 case

Thank you very much.

Oz-in-DFW

the power dissipation capability and parasitics are different even if the die is the same. If the application is low power and non-critical, it should be fine.

exojam825@...

Oz,

So it would depend on what board they would be going in?

Thanks, James

Oz-in-DFW

Yes, and I can't predict that for you.

David DiGiacomo

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 5:10 AM <exojam825@...> wrote:

I apologize if this has been asked but I was wondering if a T0-92 cased transistor could be used in place of a T0-32 transistor.

This would be for a 465B scope.

An example of what transistor I would be inquiring about.

Q4146 Tek PN 151-0406-00
Manufacturer information 01295, SGC7212
2N5401 T0-39 case
Tektronix certainly knew there were TO-92 and TO-18 transistors, so
when they used a TO-39 part, it was generally because they needed the
extra power capability.

In this particular case, the original 2N5401 part was in TO-92, and
they went to the trouble of having a custom part made in TO-39, so
it's even more likely that there was a good reason for it.

P.S. You are using a zero as the second character in TO, when it
should be letter O. TO = transistor outline

Colin Herbert

A seller on eBay has 4 of these available in the correct package at C$43.40 each plus C$9.96 postage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-151-0406-00-PNP-Transistor-TO-39/322410574702?hash=item4b112af36e:g:UsgAAOSwImRYku2Y

Colin.

I apologize if this has been asked but I was wondering if a T0-92 cased transistor could be used in place of a T0-32 transistor.

This would be for a 465B scope.

An example of what transistor I would be inquiring about.

Q4146 Tek PN 151-0406-00
Manufacturer information 01295, SGC7212
2N5401 T0-39 case
Tektronix certainly knew there were TO-92 and TO-18 transistors, so
when they used a TO-39 part, it was generally because they needed the
extra power capability.

In this particular case, the original 2N5401 part was in TO-92, and
they went to the trouble of having a custom part made in TO-39, so
it's even more likely that there was a good reason for it.

P.S. You are using a zero as the second character in TO, when it
should be letter O. TO = transistor outline

exojam825@...

Thank you very much Oz, David and Colin.

Sorry for such a late response just been dealing with health issues.

And thanks for the correction on the TO as I did not know what those letters stood for.

James