Topics

Stan Griffiths estate sale

David DiGiacomo

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Stan's daughter is trying to clear out his collection by February 27.

No connection except I read about it on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldtekscopes/permalink/878380719616768

There are some photos there, and a note that there will be no shipping :(

David DiGiacomo

Here's an update that was posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldtekscopes/permalink/878990222889151

Valarie Griffiths Brown -> Old Tek Scopes

Greetings, gentles. My father, Stan Griffiths (W7NI) was a huge fan of the old scopes, and amassed a HUGE collection of types, plug-ins, parts, and documentation. My understanding is that the Tek museum is not interested in any of it. We need to sell everything, and empty the back building down to the bare walls and floors for demolition, and we need to get this done soon. The one special scope container that I have was damaged the last time it was used, so I have no way to ship any of these things safely. Buyers will need to bring the cash they want to spend, and a vehicle large enough to carry their items away themselves, to our location in Aloha, Oregon. Please contact Paul Roder about meeting up with us at the house sometime next week, after the snow event. I want to keep this from become a super spreader event, so please make an appointment with Paul. I will post more pictures of things as soon as I can. Everything is AS IS, no refunds. I have no idea if anything works, so you may be buying a very large and fancy paperweight for all I know. There are tons of boxes of all manner of parts, again, they will be sold AS IS, no refunds. Trade amongst yourselves if you like.

Dad rescued these scopes from being dumped 20 - 30 years ago, buying up estate sales, and haunting auctions and liquidation sales. His intent was to restore a collection of pristine, just-off-the-assembly-line, instruments for a personal collection, and restore duplicates for others to own and enjoy. He literally wrote the book on this topic, and I only have one copy for my shelf that I plan to keep. Dad would be glad to know these things were in the hands of others with the same passion and respect for older technology. I look forward to meeting some of you in the coming days, and while we cannot shake hands, we can swap stories, and shake our heads in awe over the Cave of Wonders Dad made in the shop behind the house my sister and I grew up in.

Tam Hanna

Can anyone get me the contact data of the woman?

Maybe we can get her book reprinted. Plus, I have MANY followers in the USA and maybe they can buy some stuff. Would be a waste for it to go to the trash.

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Vince Vielhaber

The sale is actually listed here. Someone named Paul is the go-between.

https://nextdoor.com/for_sale_and_free/9a88ac9d-a01c-41d8-b9c0-d60284d5cede/?init_source=chat

Vince.

On 02/11/2021 01:25 AM, Tam Hanna wrote:

Maybe we can get her book reprinted. Plus, I have MANY followers in the
USA and maybe they can buy some stuff. Would be a waste for it to go to
the trash.

Dave Brown

Stans book is available at vintagetek. (I assume that’s the book being referred to- 'Selecting and Restoring a Classic')
DaveB, NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vince Vielhaber
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2021 19:37
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Stan Griffiths estate sale

The sale is actually listed here. Someone named Paul is the go-between.

https://nextdoor.com/for_sale_and_free/9a88ac9d-a01c-41d8-b9c0-d60284d5cede/?init_source=chat

Vince.

On 02/11/2021 01:25 AM, Tam Hanna wrote:

Maybe we can get her book reprinted. Plus, I have MANY followers in
the USA and maybe they can buy some stuff. Would be a waste for it to
go to the trash.
--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Grayson Evans

I hope this equipment goes to good hands! Stan has/had a tremendous collection of Tek scopes, plugins, parts, tubes, etc. and a TON of manuals. I visited his “shack”/warehouse several times and was always astounded. Stan’s passing was a big loss for us all.
Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with Paul Roder, the guy that posted the facebook info and is handling the disposal? I could find no contact info.
Grayson

Colin Herbert

Maybe you go to the "nextdoor" page and click "message the seller"? The photos make interesting looking, anyway.
Colin.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Grayson Evans
Sent: 11 February 2021 15:08
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Stan Griffiths estate sale

I hope this equipment goes to good hands! Stan has/had a tremendous collection of Tek scopes, plugins, parts, tubes, etc. and a TON of manuals. I visited his “shack”/warehouse several times and was always astounded. Stan’s passing was a big loss for us all.
Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with Paul Roder, the guy that posted the facebook info and is handling the disposal? I could find no contact info.
Grayson

JJ

This will happen more and more often as we all grow older. We should have a
mechanism in place where we can pick up and store these instruments and
parts in a facility somewhere.
I always wonder what will happen to my equipment when I pass on.
Ya can't take it with ya fella!

John Justin

Kurt Rosenfeld

Stan also had a significant slide rule collection.

He had a instinct to preserve good things, both physical objects and information. He had a lot of rare Tek documentation, in both paper and microfiche. A couple of years ago, I borrowed some paper documents from him, scanned them, and returned them. The scans are on online. He was really happy that they would be available online for everyone and would not be lost. One such document is this:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/3/3d/Tektronix_transformers_design_and_manufacture.pdf (57MB)

But there were certainly other documents that I didn't see, and that he didn't remember. If anyone gets their hands on rare documents that aren't already online, it would be great if we could get them online for everyone to enjoy. That's a good way to prevent them from disappearing from our world.

Roy Thistle

Well what happened to my neighbour's 60 year plus (plus his dad's stuff too)... 3 dumpsters, and his addled copper hound son... took care of it.
And no... you couldn't have anything... or even buy anything (there was too much gold and copper in it.)
He got what he wanted: which was to smash everything he could... and to afford to stay drunk while doing it.

Greg Muir

A real shame in light of being in the middle of winter and the pandemic. Someone local with a 53 foot semi and a couple of helpers could probably do some good in at least rescuing many things and saving them from the dumpster, the scrapper’s hands or simply the “garage sale scroungers” who take something home they know nothing about because it “looks neat” and eventually finds its way into a dank corner of the garage to never see the light of day again or land in the trash.

If the opportunity presented itself the trailer could be parked at a secure location and left until time is available to sort things out. But, again, that would take a significant effort to do so plus rental on the trailer unless it was personally owned or “borrowed” from an understanding friend. Cargotainers are also relatively cheap to rent as well.

I myself anticipated such an issue years ago by packing those items I don’t immediately need, assigning an inventory number to each box and entering it into a database including not only serial numbers and the location of the container but in the case of an instrument the present condition and what it may need for restoration if required.

Maybe it is all too much future thinking but has become a great asset since the task has been small amounts of time over the decades which has resulted in being able to find and control this massive hobby. It has turned out to be rather nice to enter a search term and find the container that houses that particular unit or part and its location in a minimal amount of time.

I have never been a person who requires a “showcase” setting for my stuff but, instead concentrate on the technical side of things regarding the challenges of restoration and/or use of the equipment in my hobbies.

The database has already been given to a couple of trusted 45+ year life-long friends and engineering colleagues who will rally to the cause to help with the disposition of things. They also appreciate my passion for collecting legacy things as well as recognize the technology regarding what they must handle. At least that way I can be relatively assured that most things will find their way into good hands.

The drawbacks of being OCD? Maybe a little. Most of it has resulted from a few moves that required keeping track of things as the surrounding environment changed. I realized early on that I could end up with a pile of unprotected “junk” spread all over the place instead of everything being accountable for and well protected.

Greg

Tim

There were a few of us that were able see Stan before he passed.
I remember him going into great detail on his refrigerator/scope dryer and
how to properly clean an old Tek scope.

After he had passed it turned into saving as much as we could from the
scrappers and tube theives.

There's a lot still there and I'll try to make a few trips.
I'll keep my eyes open for documents as well.
I only have so much space though.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 07:08 Grayson Evans <wa4gvm@gmail.com> wrote:

I hope this equipment goes to good hands! Stan has/had a tremendous
collection of Tek scopes, plugins, parts, tubes, etc. and a TON of
manuals. I visited his “shack”/warehouse several times and was always
astounded. Stan’s passing was a big loss for us all.
Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with Paul Roder, the guy that
posted the facebook info and is handling the disposal? I could find no
contact info.
Grayson

Lawrance A. Schneider

How many of us are there in this group? Is there any possibility of 'grouping' and buying all of this? Storing it where? The time line is absurd. Living in Maine, I'll never see any of it. I see the laments of those that have seen this. Does anyone know where the 'slip-sticks' are being presented?

larry

garp66

David &/or others:

Could someone make contact with the daughters or the administrative person and get a Phone# or email address,
to allow us to contact them ?

-- Clearly there is interest in this collection.

For whatever reason, I am unable to click and 'connect' with any of the facebook or other hyperlinks.
They just don't work with my browser.

thank you,
Rik

Tam Hanna

Hello,

let me also state that I cannot get to the email address of the people - if anyone of you could dig in, I would be thankful.

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Ralph Hartwell

let me also state that I cannot get to the email address of the people -
if anyone of you could dig in, I would be thankful.
Tam

If you go to the page

and click on the blue ... more ... button, a green button appears near the bottom of the page that reads MESSAGE SELLER.

But apparently to actually send a message using the MESSAGE SELLER link, you need to first set up an account on NextDoor.

Too bad they are using this method, as it will likely put off a number of inquiries who do not like to create accounts just to ask questions..

Stay safe,

Ralph

Tam Hanna

Hello,

this is exactly what I want to avoid, I am already flooded with crap email.

I was hoping one of you has the email address...

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Greg Muir

If you go to the “Old Tek Scopes” page on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldtekscopes/permalink/878380719616768
you will find the first posting made by Paul Roder, the person who posted the ad on NextDoor.

If you go to his page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/153720895416091/user/1744278505/
you can message him directly.

Greg

adesilva_1999@...

FYI. I sent a message to this person Paul, on Nextdoor but I am not sure if he will be interested in declaring his email address as it might become overwhelming. There are 28 interested parties in Nextdoor itself. Given the inventory there, I would think he has to explore all avenues. I don't see how one person can handle all that. I posted the link to this thread in the message to him. If he comes back to me, I will update here.

Greg Muir

I still suggest contacting him on his FB page. There are even more people talking to him about it there.

In addition, he seems to be helping people find parts for their equipment there.

Greg