Topics

Soul searching = Lab Purge - shameless plug

Jeff Kruth

Hello All! I know how it is: too good to throw away, dont need it anymore, taking up space, dont want the family to have to deal with it, hate to waste stuff that meant something to you at one time... In a shameless attempt to help out my college, who I have donated a lot of stuff to already, I would like to put forth the idea that we can provide a donation letter for your "downsized" stuff.We are doing electronics in support of space work, primarily satellite construction and space communications, as well as raising up the next gen of engineers to take our places. We make use of whatever we can get our hands on.  I know transportation is an issue, but we have found ways to deal with that on occasion. We have received truckloads loads from Indiana, western KY, Baltimore, & Chicago in the past. We are located in eastern Kentucky, right off I-64. I hate to see waste, particularly if something can be reused-repurposed. I guess this comes from having depression era parents. Look us up: https://www.moreheadstate.edu/ssc/ I am the Staff EE and Professor, as well as the mentor for the ham club here KY4SSC. We can use parts, hardware, wire, Test equipment (broken or working, we fix stuff), microwave widgets, ham gear, even WWII surplus, as I use some of the gear for "show & tell". Thanks for the bandwidth.  If you deliver, which some do as its a nice trip to the wilds of KY, I will give you a "cooks tour" of what we do here, its pretty cool! Regards,Jeff KruthWA3ZKRMSU- Space Science Center

stevenhorii

Jeff,
Good on you for donating/restoring electronics that can still be used.
From the Microscope Group, I donated a couple of microscopes to a
not-for-profit mycology research and study group. They are a 501(c)(3) so
they were able to provide a tax letter which was nice, but I would have
donated the scopes without the letter.

I do have stuff I would donate for your folks. Contact me off-list. I think
you have my e-mail address.

Also, for members of the group that may have old computer equipment -
particularly if it is really old, like analog computer stuff, old DEC, Data
General, and other minicomputers, mainframes (yes - they have a bunch of
pretty large machines) a museum called the Large Scale Systems Museum
located just outside of Pittsburgh accepts donations. If it is something
they can use, they will accept it. They are a 501(c)(3) registered
corporation and will provide tax letters. I have an EAI TR20 analog
computer that I have offered to them and they will likely make the trip out
to pick it up since I am in PA but near Philadelphia, not Pittsburgh. I
also have some ROLM military computers and some electromechanical ones (an
electromechanical computer from the F-111). They are interested in all of
it. You can imagine that this amounts to a lot of mass and takes up space I
sorely need.

Here's a link to their Web page:

https://www.mact.io/start

For anyone in the Pittsburgh area, it's well worth a visit. Oh, and most of
their systems are operational. If you are knowledgable about any of these
vintage machines (ever use a PDP-11 system?) they may even let you sit at a
terminal or the console so you can recall your previous computing
adventures. They also have the usual PC and Mac stuff, but early versions
of them (I think they have an original Apple 1). For the Tek folks, my
recollection is that our computer room which housed an IBM 7094 II and a
1401 also had a Tek scope on a cart that was kept in a back corner. I
believe it was one of the 500-series scopes, but I did not get a close up
look at it. I never saw it being used, but I was told the service people
would occasionally ask to use it. I don't know if the LSSC folks have a
scope like this, but it would go along with their mainframe exhibits.

Steve Horii