Somewhat OT- WTB tiny CRT scopes

greenboxmaven

I have all of the Tektronix CRT handheld scopes I am looking for except the 224. However, other companies made some small ones as well. I am looking for a Philips PM 3000 or PM 3010, and other comparable small screen small package CRT scopes. To go a little more OT, tiny CRT color TVs of three inches or less screen size are also of interest.  As usual for me, they need not be working, a bit of dirt is OK, but completeness is important. Thanks,

   Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

snapdiode

Chris van Lint

I presume you are referring to scopes which do not have to be plugged into a main frame.  I have an SC501 in a one bay TM500 mainframe, which I think may be smaller than the 224?

Chris VK4CVL

On 4/09/2021 15:04, greenboxmaven via groups.io wrote:
I have all of the Tektronix CRT handheld scopes I am looking for except the 224. However, other companies made some small ones as well. I am looking for a Philips PM 3000 or PM 3010, and other comparable small screen small package CRT scopes. To go a little more OT, tiny CRT color TVs of three inches or less screen size are also of interest.  As usual for me, they need not be working, a bit of dirt is OK, but completeness is important. Thanks,

   Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

greenboxmaven

The scope  is of interest, but the price wanted for the one listed is too high for me. Thanks for the alert.

   Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 9/4/21 1:28, snapdiode via groups.io wrote:
The Thandar/OK Electronics Model 1010, perhaps?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/234164904088?hash=item368550e098:g:pFwAAOSwGdlfKNYM

BobH

VuData made some nice tiny CRT scopes. The PS910 is a single channel 5MHz scope that would run off the line or internal NiCads. The 975 is a dual trace that has an optional battery system, but the CRT is a little larger, ~2 3/4" square.

Jim Strohm

Any interest in a Tek 323?

Has the correct power cord, battery pack is known dead, and the scope is
presumed DOA as well. Cosmetically nice, but shows its age.

Fair offers considered -- it's been nesting in my closet for years and
doesn't need to be relocated from its happy home in Austin TX. But it
could happen.

73
Jim N6OTQ

greenboxmaven

Thank you for your time and response. I am aware of the 320 series, but I have a powerful aversion to anything Sony. I will pass.

    Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 9/4/21 11:19, Jim Strohm wrote:
Any interest in a Tek 323?

Has the correct power cord, battery pack is known dead, and the scope is
presumed DOA as well. Cosmetically nice, but shows its age.

Fair offers considered -- it's been nesting in my closet for years and
doesn't need to be relocated from its happy home in Austin TX. But it
could happen.

73
Jim N6OTQ

Randy.AB9GO

I have made a small collection of non-linear systems NLS mini-scopes ms15 and ms30. I purchased one new approximately 1986. Around $750 if I remember correctly for the ms30. They work well and are usually found in non-working condition which is to your advantage. Many times all that is wrong is the rechargeable battery is dead and the unit will do absolutely nothing without the battery being in good condition. The scope runs on the battery not the external power supply as it is only used to charge the battery. It cannot supply enough current to run the scope by itself. NLS is still in business in Florida now and I contacted them about getting a copy of an owner's manual. They sent me an original not a copy for free. Now that is after sales support.

Randy
randy.ab9go@gmail.com

Randy.AB9GO

I remember view data making a small oscilloscope that the CRT was 1 inch tall by maybe 3 inches long? Very unusual form factor but you got a nice wide trace display out of it.

randy.ab9go@gmail.com

shalopt

They are nice when you need one to check sensors on your automobile.
I have the PS900 no manual but do have the schematic.
Had a Ni-Cad battery pack.
Gary G.

Harvey White

Yep, I have one of them.  Used three 2.0 volt lead acid batteries for power.

Harvey

On 9/5/2021 9:03 AM, Randy.AB9GO wrote:
I remember view data making a small oscilloscope that the CRT was 1 inch tall by maybe 3 inches long? Very unusual form factor but you got a nice wide trace display out of it.

randy.ab9go@gmail.com

Jim Strohm

I was unaware that Sony was the OEM supplier of the Tel 323.

I’ll have to dig it out and pop the covers.

I too am not a fan of Sony stuff newer than about 1990. Most seemed to be engineered with a built-in expiration date of about 5 years.

73
Jim N6OTQ

Sent from my quenched-gap spark transmitter.

greenboxmaven

I don't know the exact Tektronix vs Sony content and engineering in the 300 series. My mega gripe with Sony is in regard to parts and repair manuals. They are the nastiest and most deceptive I have ever known. This was even when I worked for one of their sweatshop "Factory Authorized and Certified dealer and Service Centers" of theirs in the 1970s. Panasonic is probably the friendliest and best I have encountered so far, especially for studio broadcast video gear.

   Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 9/5/21 11:32, Jim Strohm wrote:
I was unaware that Sony was the OEM supplier of the Tel 323.

I’ll have to dig it out and pop the covers.

I too am not a fan of Sony stuff newer than about 1990. Most seemed to be engineered with a built-in expiration date of about 5 years.

73
Jim N6OTQ

Sent from my quenched-gap spark transmitter.

stevenhorii

Further OT - the famous (infamous?) Apple Macintosh Portable - which
weighed 16 pounds - used a sealed lead-acid battery for power. It would not
boot without that battery being charged. It would not run on the AC “wall
wart” power supply. Sounds like the VuData scopes in that Mac Portables
that turn up for sale do not work simply because that battery is dead and
will not charge.

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 10:48 Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> wrote:

Yep, I have one of them. Used three 2.0 volt lead acid batteries for
power.

Harvey

On 9/5/2021 9:03 AM, Randy.AB9GO wrote:
I remember view data making a small oscilloscope that the CRT was 1 inch
tall by maybe 3 inches long? Very unusual form factor but you got a nice
wide trace display out of it.

randy.ab9go@gmail.com

Michael A. Terrell

I have three of the 323 and two 324 Sony/Tektronix scopes. They are 5MHz
and 10MHz, They used nicads for portable use, along with 12VAC or 12VDC
power inputs. I bought the first one at a scrap yard. I saw some of the
familiar teltronix blue in the mud, where an earthmover had just passed. I
dug it out of the mud, and paid $20. It said something like 'Not Economical
to Repair' but I found one of the connectors to a deflection plate was off.
It had lost its spring, but a gentle squeeze with needlnose let it grip the
stud. That was 30 years ago, and it still works.
I might be interested if it's cheap enough, due to the limited 5MHz
bandwidth. One of mine is missing some parts, including the power supply
subassembly. I am looking at designing a replacement, using modern cells.

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 11:19 AM Jim Strohm <jim.strohm@gmail.com> wrote:

Any interest in a Tek 323?

Has the correct power cord, battery pack is known dead, and the scope is
presumed DOA as well. Cosmetically nice, but shows its age.

Fair offers considered -- it's been nesting in my closet for years and
doesn't need to be relocated from its happy home in Austin TX. But it
could happen.

73
Jim N6OTQ

garp66

Check out the Mullard 1" scope CRT:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/310682869382
~ 27.50 GBP

And, a circuit for it:
https://www.instructables.com/Mullard-Pupils-Oscilloscope/

1CP1:
August 1960 issue of Popular Electronics

greenboxmaven

I have a couple Mac portables, the starting surge current is too much for the AC adapter. I opened the battery case and fitted a  6 volt gel cell. They are certainly not  laptops, but are a good look back at early computers. There are quite a few applications available for them from early Apple enthusiasts.

On 9/5/21 11:48, stevenhorii wrote:
[...]

The August 1960 issue of Popular Electronics had a mini scope project using the same CRT, with the American number of 1CP1. RCA made a tiny CRT the size of a metal 6L6. I have seen these miniscopes at hamfests from time to time.

   Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 9/5/21 13:49, garp66 wrote:
Check out the Mullard 1" scope CRT:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/310682869382
~ 27.50 GBP

And, a circuit for it:
https://www.instructables.com/Mullard-Pupils-Oscilloscope/

1CP1:
August 1960 issue of Popular Electronics

ChuckA

The RCA 1" CRT is a 913. RCA used in their 1936 Model 151 scope, National used it in their Model CRM, Clough-Brengle 1935 Model 105, and a number of homebrew scopes in the mid 30's.

Pictures:
http://www.myvintagetv.com/vintage_test_equipment.htm

Chuck

--
See Early TV at:

www.myvintagetv.com

stevenhorii

Hmm - I did have a good response from Sony re: their SL-HF1000 Beta
recorder player (top end at the time). I like to have the service manual
available. I called their service center, got the manual part number and
ordered it. No problems. A few years later, the unit stopped ejecting
cassettes. I took it apart and found a broken gear in the mechanism (a
nylon one). I called the parts department, gave them the part number and
they told me the price - just a couple of dollars. I had it by mail within
a week and fixed the unit.

Tektronix used to be like this. They even set up an account for me so I
could call and just order parts and they would bill me. Mind you I was only
buying maybe $100 of parts a year - not a volume customer by any means.
They would also warn me when parts were down to "stock on hand" in case I
wanted to buy an extra or knew someone who needed that part.

When Nagra was still manufacturing reel-to-reel recorders, I had great
experiences with their US representative - I could get replacement parts
and manuals easily. Again for restoring/repairing the recorders so not a
volume buyer. Nagra parts and manuals were expensive though.

None of these companies (at the time, anyway) worried about my fixing their
equipment myself. Some consumer electronics and appliance folks simply
refuse to sell you service manuals. I believe there is a “right to repair”
law being debated now. I ran afoul of this with a Miele dishwasher we had.
It worked really well for years until it didn’t. The failure was pretty
easy to figure out - they had a smart design - the valve for the water was
at the connection to the water supply (I did have to have a plumber install
that) not in the machine, so if the hose failed when the washer was off,
your house would not get flooded (and it was a fail-closed valve). I tried
to get a manual. They would not sell me one. I tried to get it serviced by
their service department. They insisted that I tell them from where I
purchased the unit. But it was purchased through the contractor who re-did
our kitchen years before, so I had no idea where it was purchased. They
flat-out refused to service it even though I was willing to pay for it.
Scrapped a $900 dishwasher because of a $25 part failure.

Also, the observation and experience that Sony may now be worse about
customer service problems is likely correct - my recent experience with a
Sony digital camera bears that out. I bought the camera from a discounter.
It came without a body cap. I contacted Sony customer service and they sent
me a cap - the wrong one (a rear lens cap). I contacted them again and they
refused to believe it was not the correct cap. I contacted the discounter
and they also sent me a cap - exactly the same cap - for the rear of a
lens, not the camera body. I finally contacted a different discounter from
whom I bought the correct cap. I now buy camera stuff from them even though
they are more expensive.