Topics

Shipped They Are and Board Chamfer

Larry McDavid

Regarding the TM500 board connectors, there actually is a small chamfer or edge break on these edge finger connectors and it is important that it be present. You might need a magnifying glass to see this detail.

Unfortunately, this chamfer was inadvertently omitted from the TM500 tester main board recently ordered from PCBWay; it was just an oversight in filling out their complex on-line ordering form.

Jared described how to modify the board slightly with a file to add such a chamfer. A sanding block can also be used. It is important that the file or sanding block motion be *away* from the center of the board to reduce the potential of prying up the gold-plated copper contact.

Having done that (it really does not take much), the board should be cleaned to remove any particles and then some contact cleaner with a residual lubricant applied.

Larry

On 2/17/2021 6:57 AM, Colin Herbert via groups.io wrote:
Mine arrived safely today in London, UK. The postie didn't attempt to cram the package through the letter-box, but placed it in the porch and rang the doorbell. It was really well-packaged and the boards are super quality. I'll have fun building this plug-in. Many thanks to Jared for designing it and the boards and to Larry for the back-breaking effort to put them all together and send them off to us lazy buggers!
I am a bit flummoxed about the chamfer referred to, as I can't see much chamfer on any of the TM500-series plugins that I have so far. Is this chamfer a lot less than I am thinking that it might be?
Colin.
--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB