Topics

Scope carts

Reginald Beardsley

I'm considering putting my 485 and 7104 on carts, but the prices on ebay make a DIY much more attractive. Is $300 for a Tek cart anywhere near the going rate?

Thanks,
Reg

Eric

Hey Reg,

    The big draw back I have found with carts not not the price of the cart most people will part with one for $80.00 or less some times give then away. The shipping on these was a nightmare. I was quoted $295.00 just for shipping about 1/2 way across country even willing to wait up to a month to get it.

Eric

On 6/12/2020 4:58 PM, Reginald Beardsley via groups.io wrote:
I'm considering putting my 485 and 7104 on carts, but the prices on ebay make a DIY much more attractive. Is $300 for a Tek cart anywhere near the going rate?

Thanks,
Reg

Paul Amaranth

I paid $35 ea for the last 2 carts I got. There were a couple on
craigslist a couple weeks ago, also in the $35 range.

Also, I had 2 carts that came with the scope, no extra charge
(a 465 and a 7000 series, both around $75)

Now shipping somethings like that, that's another story.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 01:58:30PM -0700, Reginald Beardsley via groups.io wrote:
I'm considering putting my 485 and 7104 on carts, but the prices on ebay make a DIY much more attractive. Is $300 for a Tek cart anywhere near the going rate?

Thanks,
Reg

!DSPAM:5ee3ec7e40371466118471!
paul@... | Unix/Linux - We don't do windows

ArtekManuals <manuals@...>

I paid less than $75 for mine but that was 20 years ago. and I picked it up "locally" I eventually sold one and the real cost is breaking it down to make it shipable if you asses the real value of ones time. one can easily invest 2hours in the break down, pack and ship process

If you have a table saw and some reasonable skills you can indeed build a very serviceable cart out of 2x4 and plywood. for less than $50 in material. But again unless your really setup to do it right, it is easy to invest 8 hours in such a project....

My experience (CD/DVD manual business) is most people have no idea or respect for the value of personal time

I know my hourly rate goes up  steeply now  at age 73 since I have seemingly not much time left
Dave
manuals@...

--
Dave
Manuals@...

Chuck Harris

I get my carts from Craigslist. Typically, there is a scope
on top, but that is the price for free.

-Chuck Harris

Reginald Beardsley via groups.io wrote:

I'm considering putting my 485 and 7104 on carts, but the prices on ebay make a DIY much more attractive. Is $300 for a Tek cart anywhere near the going rate?

Thanks,
Reg

Dave Seiter

Prices seem to have gone up a little lately, but you should be able to find them for $25-30, or even free depending on where you live.  $300 is silly, but if shipping is included, and they didn't partially disassemble it...
-Dave

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 01:58:41 PM PDT, Reginald Beardsley via groups.io <pulaskite=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm considering putting my 485 and 7104 on carts, but the prices on ebay make a DIY much more attractive.  Is $300 for a Tek cart anywhere near the going rate?

Thanks,
Reg

Dave Seiter

Yup; I've sold and shipped around seven of them on ebay years ago.  All were broken down and I had to make boxes for them from bicycle boxes (a great source of free, heavy duty cardboard, BTW).  Lots of work, but I figured I would have been just wasting time otherwise.  Shipping was in the $65 range via FedEx IIRC.
-Dave

On Friday, June 12, 2020, 02:12:54 PM PDT, ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

I paid less than $75 for mine but that was 20 years ago. and I picked it
up "locally" I eventually sold one and the real cost is breaking it down
to make it shipable if you asses the real value of ones time. one can
easily invest 2hours in the break down, pack and ship process

Dick

You can buy shop carts at Harbor Freight for much less.

73, Dick, W1KSZ
________________________________
Yup; I've sold and shipped around seven of them on ebay years ago. All were broken down and I had to make boxes for them from bicycle boxes (a great source of free, heavy duty cardboard, BTW). Lots of work, but I figured I would have been just wasting time otherwise. Shipping was in the $65 range via FedEx IIRC.
-Dave
On Friday, June 12, 2020, 02:12:54 PM PDT, ArtekManuals <manuals@...> wrote:

I paid less than $75 for mine but that was 20 years ago. and I picked it
up "locally" I eventually sold one and the real cost is breaking it down
to make it shipable if you asses the real value of ones time. one can
easily invest 2hours in the break down, pack and ship process

Dale H. Cook

On 6/12/2020 5:14 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:

Prices seem to have gone up a little lately, but you should be able to find them for $25-30, or even free depending on where you live.
I was given a Tek Type 200-1, Model A, Scope-Mobile Cart by a friend who was downsizing his shop before moving to a smaller house. He was using it for his little Tek 422 'scope (which I sold for him at a meet), but it was intended for the Tek 453, and that let me move my seldom-used 453 off the bench to make more space, which I soon needed for a (new to me) desoldering station.
--
Dale H. Cook, GR/HP/Tek Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/

John Griessen

I was able to sell a single shelf scope cart 200C for $80 with local pickup.
It was ignored for a while on craigslist, but a local found it via ebay.

I mentioned it here, I think, before craigslisting it.

The model 200C comes apart with about 4 screws, so maybe figure $60 for packing, $80 for cart, and shop for them delivered at $140 (+ taxes and fees on ebay).

Reginald Beardsley

In central Arkansas I doubt there are very many at all and fewer still available.

I think I'm better off buying HF carts or building them using HF mini-mover's dollies for casters. They're good casters for $2 each and come with a piece of wood attached. Haven't figured out a use for the wood bits yet. But they're great for woodworking machines and such.

Have Fun!
Reg

Michael W. Lynch

Reg

What size cart are you looking for? I sent you a PM.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

Glydeck

Dick mentioned Harbor Freight. The welding cart they offer for $40 is quite serviceable.

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-61316.html

73s,

George KD6NEW

On Jun 12, 2020, at 4:24 PM, Michael W. Lynch via groups.io <mlynch003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Reg

What size cart are you looking for? I sent you a PM.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, Arkansas

@0culus

I am going to endorse the Type 204-2 Scope-Mobile cart for it's plugin storage and large drawer + big shelf on the bottom and integrated fuse protected power strip. Plus it's designed to securely hold the mainframe while allowing adjustable tilt. I keep my 7904A on mine.

Sean

NigelP

Carts not easy to come by in the UK. Here's one I made earlier (photos in Albums/Homemade Scope Cart). Made from aluminium alloy rectangular section and MDF, it's vaguely modelled on one of the Tek designs and has a 7904A on top and two TM504s under-slung. The mainframe platform tilts a few degrees, the TM shelf is fixed. There's an MDF drawer compartment that forms the core of the support at the bottom and this holds the probes etc. There's a power distribution board recessed into the back of the drawer compartment.

Also lurking down there is a Tek viewing hood; it's an odd brown colour; I always thought they were blue!

Also in view is the LED inspection lamp so I can actually see the TM504 dials!! Another shot shows the 7603/7L14/TR502 set up plus a small selection of the homemade gear.

Regards

Nigel G8AYM

robert Johnson

For my scope cart I bought a cart from Ikea they are available else where
Utility cart, white, 13 3/4x17 3/4x30 3/4 "

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 08:49:50 AM EDT, NigelP <nigel-pritchard@...> wrote:

[...]

David Berlind

I have four Tek carts, all acquired for $50 or less. Here's an example of one for $40 on Craigslist for $40.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/ele/d/westfield-tektronix-electronics-cart/7137385817.html

Here's another one that looks great for free one in Nashua, NH.

https://nh.craigslist.org/zip/d/nashua-oscilloscope-cart/7140556985.html

My suggestion is to set up some alerts on Craigslist for your area. If you're patient, one will come along for cheap or nothing. That's how I know about these. I have alerts on the keyword "Oscilloscope" set up for Craigslist covering Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine. I get about 5 hits per day.

I have a Tektronix Scope-Mobile cart model 3 that came with my old 7704A out of commission.
After I repaired my old-er 547 I took the 7704A off and placed the 547 on the cart.
This 500 series scope looks great but a too big for the cart model 3.
But I find the 500 series carts disfigured, they keep the scope at an angle too inclined.
(in the days of the 500 series scopes, did people use them standing up?)
Now that both scopes work, I think the 7704A has a stronger right to be on the cart
and will look better there than the 547. This one will go to rest on a (reinforced) desk.

I was able to put the 547 on the cart by myself, but I cannot wait too long to take it down.
At 77 y.o., in some time I might not have enough strength to do it myself.

ArtekManuals says that at 73 his hourly rate went up sharply.
Now at 77 my hourly rate is off the charts, because what I want to do comes in with highest priority,
and much of it is assigned to leisure plus... play with oscilloscopes :)

Raymond Cote

Yes! Standing up at a workbench!

In matters of style, float with the current. In matters of Principle, stand like a rock. “. — Thomas Jefferson —

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 05:54 PM, Raymond Cote wrote:

Yes! Standing up at a workbench!

In matters of style, float with the current. In matters of Principle, stand
like a rock. “. — Thomas Jefferson —
Standing up at a workbench is not too uncommon. High workbenches exist for long equipment.
But you can try to use a 547 on its designed CART, sitting down at a low bench.
Your neck will nicely stretch out, without need of the rings that women use in some tribes.
But you may want to always be sitting at a workbench,
since the complexity of electronic equipment can make you... dizzy, he he

BTW, Thomas Jefferson never used oscilloscopes at his workbench.

Ernesto