Topics

Schematics wanted for Tek 4050E01

Lyle Bickley

Does anyone have the schematics for a Tek 4050E01? It is
the ROM extender used with the Tektronix 4052 and 4054
display/computers.

Cheers,
Lyle
--
73 AF6WS
Bickley Consulting West Inc.

Monty McGraw

Lyle,

the 4050E01 schematics are in the same manual as the http://bitsavers.org/pdf/tektronix/405x/070-2215-00_4051_E01_ROM_Expander_Aug79.pdf

My 4050E01 was purchased from a long-time (20yrs ago) 4050 graphics computer friend a couple of years ago - and was dead on arrival.

I opened the chassis - and the relay at the back was unseated and the metal spring clip was under one of the ROM slots (shipping - most likely).

I plugged in the relay after reinstalling the spring clip and it powered up in 4052 mode and is working fine.

BTW - I also have a big github repository for over 100 4050 programs recovered from dozens of tapes in the last 20 years at: https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files

I also have several threads on vcfed.org, repairing my 4052 and 4054, upgrading my 4054 to 4054A, and recovering old Tektronix 4050 tapes and 4907 eight inch disks.

Monty

Lyle Bickley

Hi Monty,

Thanks - yes, I had come across the bitsavers doc - but thanks much for the
github repository of program files!

Cheers!
Lyle
--
On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:54:27 -0700
"Monty McGraw" <mmcgraw74@...> wrote:

[...]

73 NM6Y
Bickley Consulting West
https://bickleywest.com

Monty McGraw

Lyle,

Vcfed.org also has a thread on a 4051 web-based emulator that runs on
chrome web browser:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?61636-Tek-405x-web-browser-emulator&p=495247#post495247
here is the github site for that emulator, which uses the actual 4051 ROM
image and a javascript emulator of the 6800 - that runs all my programs
that only require one file:
https://github.com/jonbstanley/Tek405xEmulator

Dave Roberts is the principal developer of the Tek405xEmulator, and he is
now working on a 4052/4054 emulator - which has an AMD 2901 16-bit
bit-slice architecture that is upwards compatible to the 4051 6800 CPU.

There is also a facebook group for a windows emulator of the 4051:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1157781747606102
This emulator is a compiled windows program that emulates the 4051 BASIC
instructions.

Do you have an operational 4051 or 4052?

I'm currently working on a GPIB Flash Drive, using an Arduino to emulate
the 4924 GPIB tape drive - since the DC300 tape drive belts don't hold up
after 30-40 years :)
If I get the flash drive working - all the 4050 computers would have access
to the recovered programs.

Until then, if you have the Option 1 RS-232 interface in your ROM backpack,
you can directly download any of the ASCII program files into your 4050
computer.

Monty