Scanning a Service Manual

I've got a very early version of the 2236 service manual, and am about to be receiving a later revision that actually matches my instrument. Before I sell off the older service manual I'm wondering if it is worth scanning and uploading to the TekWiki (they don't appear to have the early version that I have), and, if so, how I would go about that.

I understand that the Vintage Tek Museum has a full set of microfiche that may already contain the revision of the service manual I have in hand. Would I simply ask to have the fiche scanned and uploaded? Is it worth it to scan it myself, or take it somewhere that will do that scanning for me? Is there anybody on this list who can and is willing to scan the manual?

It seems that I am nothing but questions.

-- Jeff Dutky

adesilva_1999@...

Jeff,
I am not sure where you are located. I am in CA (in the east bay). If you need help on the scanning, I can help. I worked at ARC document solutions before retiring in 2017: https://www.e-arc.com/
Locations:https://www.e-arc.com/location/

I can get them to do a good scan and send the hard copy back to you. They have locations in many cities as in the 2nd link. If there is one near you, you can get it done. It will not be that expensive. Of course, I get it for free!
Let me know if you need help with it.

ken chalfant

Hi Jeff,

It is very possible that Dave at Artek Manuals would scan it if he does not have it in his library already.

I do not know what his conditions might be but it certainly could be worth an email to him.

Best wishes,

Ken

On 12Apr, 2021, at 10:19 PM, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a very early version of the 2236 service manual, and am about to be receiving a later revision that actually matches my instrument. Before I sell off the older service manual I'm wondering if it is worth scanning and uploading to the TekWiki (they don't appear to have the early version that I have), and, if so, how I would go about that.

I understand that the Vintage Tek Museum has a full set of microfiche that may already contain the revision of the service manual I have in hand. Would I simply ask to have the fiche scanned and uploaded? Is it worth it to scan it myself, or take it somewhere that will do that scanning for me? Is there anybody on this list who can and is willing to scan the manual?

-- Jeff Dutky

Carl Miles

I do quite a bit of manual / magazine scanning and primarily use my HP Digital Scanner Flow 8500 fn2 for “normal” stuff and my older and larger HP Scanjet N9120 for larger stuff. If the manual can come apart (lots of Tek manuals have the wire or plastic spiral binding) it would be easier to scan. I generally take my manuals and magazines apart (cut off the book binding) so I can feed the pages through the ADF to make scanning more efficient. Scanning page by page for me at least got tedious and inefficient with the amount of manuals and magazines I needed to scan. Needless to say that cutting off the binding would be a destructive process but the plastic or wire spiral bindings in general the manual can be put back together as it was originally.

Guess what I am saying is if you want the manual to remain intact then page by page scanning would be necessary and would take a bit of time to do. De-binding the manual would make the process talk much less time, and the scanners I have can scan in long pages like schematics and parts diagrams as well as duplex scanning (both sides of the paper at the same time).

I can scan the manual as well for you at no cost just to get manual in the public domain as well as to help folks who may need that particular manual now and in the future. If the manual is not spiral bound, would you want the binding (spine) cut off? Do you require the manual back? I can send the manual back in loose-leaf condition if the spine needs to be cut off or put the manual back together if it has a spiral binding.

I am in New Mexico just as an FYI. You have some other replies here as well so you have a few options. Just throwing my hat into the ring as they say.

Regards,

Carl Miles

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 10:19 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io<mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: [TekScopes] Scanning a Service Manual

-- Jeff Dutky

Hi Jeff,
Thank you for offering to make your manual available to everyone on TekScopes.

I'm a little puzzled why you think the later version of the manual would not contain information from the early version. When Tek makes changes / revisions to anything in their manuals they carefully note what they are in several places. As you go through the main sections of any newer version of their manuals at the bottom of the page you will see the revision date of that page if changes were made. If you go through the parts list you will see the instrument serial number ranges that apply to parts that were changed. Finally, the last section of every manual contains engineering changes to the schematics / parts lists / specifications, documentation, etc. They also include how to make changes to the circuitry to update an instrument.

IF Kurt Rosenfeld want a copy of the manual for TekWiki it is easy to do. If it is comb bound it is simple to unbind it and run it through a copy machine with a document feeder that makes a PDF automatically from what it scans. This is the process Kurt uses. You can send your manual to Kurt and he will return it when he has made the PDF this way.

If you go to the TekWiki main page (https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Main_Page)
The 2nd line at the top says "If you want to add to Tekwiki or improve existing Tekwiki pages, please email the administrator for an account." All you have to do is click on the link to the administrator with your offer.

The folks at vintageTEK have the ability to make a PDF of any manual or document Tek ever put onto microfiche. The unfortunate reality is they rely on volunteers to do everything and it would probably take many years before they would have a reason to copy the manual version you have. Realistically, they also have their own priorities so there is no chance they would ever get to your manual.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jeff Dutky
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 9:19 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Scanning a Service Manual

-- Jeff Dutky

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Dave Wise

When an instrument changed a lot, sometimes Tek made a fresh start with the manual.
An example is Type W, which was converted to FET input with a serial number break at 7000. There are two manuals; 070-432 is tube only and 070-1109 is FET only.

Regards,
Dave Wise

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Tillman W7pF via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 6:50 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Scanning a Service Manual

Hi Jeff,

I'm a little puzzled why you think the later version of the manual would not contain information from the early version. When Tek makes changes / revisions to anything in their manuals they carefully note what they are in several places. As you go through the main sections of any newer version of their manuals at the bottom of the page you will see the revision date of that page if changes were made. If you go through the parts list you will see the instrument serial number ranges that apply to parts that were changed. Finally, the last section of every manual contains engineering changes to the schematics / parts lists / specifications, documentation, etc. They also include how to make changes to the circuitry to update an instrument.

Dennis,

The reason I think what I think is based entirely on what the 1986 revision of the manual, as found on TekWiki, shows in the schematic or the counter front end: there is only a single schematic for that board with no serial number ranges indicated. The schematic shows that the delta time control pot (R1617) is a two section modular pot consisting of one 2k section and one 10k section. There are two board layout drawings for the Counter/Timer/Multimeter board, one for SN B014069 & below, the other for SN B014070 & above, but these do not indicate how many sections there are in R1617, though they do show that R1617 has a different footprint. Finally, the parts list shows four serial number ranges, each using a different pot for R1617: from B010100 to B010999 it is a single 2.2k pot, from B011000 to B014069 it is a single 1k pot, from B014050 to B015819 it is a combo 2k (front)/10k (rear) pot, and from B015820 and up it is a combo 2k (rear)/10k (front) pot.

The schematic in my first edition service manual shows the single 2.2k pot for R1617, but the parts list indicates that R1617 is a 1k pot, and makes not mention of different components for different serial number ranges.

I have a later revision of the service manual on its way, and I am curious to see if it is similarly confusing.

Now that I've put this all into words, I'm wondering if scanning and uploading the early edition of the service manual is a service to the community, or a violence.

-- Jeff Dutky

Ah! The good old days when instruments got warm and glowed inside - and still got us to the moon.

That particular example stretches my point. You can't exactly say in the parts list that a FET was substituted for a vacuum tube. A lot changes when you do that and those changes can ripple through to other parts of the circuit in subtle ways. Maintenance and calibration procedures will change significantly, Photos of parts locations will be completely different, Waveforms will be different, and specifications will be different. Even sections of the Theory of Operation will be different.
In this case it was much better to replace the manual from scratch. Aside from switching an instrument from tube to transistor where else did they issue a new manual?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Wise
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:41 AM

When an instrument changed a lot, sometimes Tek made a fresh start with the manual.
An example is Type W, which was converted to FET input with a serial number break at 7000. There are two manuals; 070-432 is tube only and 070-1109 is FET only.

Regards,
Dave Wise

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Tillman W7pF via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 6:50 AM

Hi Jeff,

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

The 7904, serial B260000 and up.

D.

From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis Tillman W7pF
Sent: 14 April 2021 02:01

Aside from switching an instrument from tube to transistor where else did they issue a new manual?
Dennis Tillman W7pF