Scanning a Service Manual

I've got a very early version of the 2236 service manual, and am about to be receiving a later revision that actually matches my instrument. Before I sell off the older service manual I'm wondering if it is worth scanning and uploading to the TekWiki (they don't appear to have the early version that I have), and, if so, how I would go about that.

I understand that the Vintage Tek Museum has a full set of microfiche that may already contain the revision of the service manual I have in hand. Would I simply ask to have the fiche scanned and uploaded? Is it worth it to scan it myself, or take it somewhere that will do that scanning for me? Is there anybody on this list who can and is willing to scan the manual?

It seems that I am nothing but questions.

-- Jeff Dutky

adesilva_1999@...

Jeff,
I am not sure where you are located. I am in CA (in the east bay). If you need help on the scanning, I can help. I worked at ARC document solutions before retiring in 2017: https://www.e-arc.com/
Locations:https://www.e-arc.com/location/

I can get them to do a good scan and send the hard copy back to you. They have locations in many cities as in the 2nd link. If there is one near you, you can get it done. It will not be that expensive. Of course, I get it for free!
Let me know if you need help with it.

ken chalfant

Hi Jeff,

It is very possible that Dave at Artek Manuals would scan it if he does not have it in his library already.

I do not know what his conditions might be but it certainly could be worth an email to him.

Best wishes,

Ken

On 12Apr, 2021, at 10:19 PM, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a very early version of the 2236 service manual, and am about to be receiving a later revision that actually matches my instrument. Before I sell off the older service manual I'm wondering if it is worth scanning and uploading to the TekWiki (they don't appear to have the early version that I have), and, if so, how I would go about that.

I understand that the Vintage Tek Museum has a full set of microfiche that may already contain the revision of the service manual I have in hand. Would I simply ask to have the fiche scanned and uploaded? Is it worth it to scan it myself, or take it somewhere that will do that scanning for me? Is there anybody on this list who can and is willing to scan the manual?

It seems that I am nothing but questions.

-- Jeff Dutky

Carl Miles

I do quite a bit of manual / magazine scanning and primarily use my HP Digital Scanner Flow 8500 fn2 for “normal” stuff and my older and larger HP Scanjet N9120 for larger stuff. If the manual can come apart (lots of Tek manuals have the wire or plastic spiral binding) it would be easier to scan. I generally take my manuals and magazines apart (cut off the book binding) so I can feed the pages through the ADF to make scanning more efficient. Scanning page by page for me at least got tedious and inefficient with the amount of manuals and magazines I needed to scan. Needless to say that cutting off the binding would be a destructive process but the plastic or wire spiral bindings in general the manual can be put back together as it was originally.

Guess what I am saying is if you want the manual to remain intact then page by page scanning would be necessary and would take a bit of time to do. De-binding the manual would make the process talk much less time, and the scanners I have can scan in long pages like schematics and parts diagrams as well as duplex scanning (both sides of the paper at the same time).

I can scan the manual as well for you at no cost just to get manual in the public domain as well as to help folks who may need that particular manual now and in the future. If the manual is not spiral bound, would you want the binding (spine) cut off? Do you require the manual back? I can send the manual back in loose-leaf condition if the spine needs to be cut off or put the manual back together if it has a spiral binding.

I am in New Mexico just as an FYI. You have some other replies here as well so you have a few options. Just throwing my hat into the ring as they say.

Regards,

Carl Miles